Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Westminster 4 50.00%
Woodward 2 25.00%
Lovett 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 37,366 times

Advertisements

Looking for a few "objective" voices...

My wife and I are excited that our daughter has been admitted to 3 of the four places we applied for K/Pre-1st... Westminster, Woodward, and Lovett. While we are happy to be done with the admissions process, we now have the anxiety of making a "final" decision among these choices.

We live in South Cobb, and are looking for that good blend of "nuturing environment", strong academics, diversity in students/faculty, etc. We liked Woodward, but feel that it may be a bit too impractical from a daily drop-off/commute perspective, even with the bus options. Westminster also won us over, particularly on the academics focus. Lovett "feels" like a good middle ground, but not distinctive on any dimension...

Any other parents looking at similar schools? Any insights to share quickly, as the response deadline for registration is fast approaching!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,862,024 times
I wouldn't really include Westminster high on a list of "nurturing" environments. I've always gotten the impression that it is highly competitive academically, and somewhat of a rat race to keep up. You can't fault the academics in any sense of the word, but if nurturing is your #1 priority, I would really think it over. You know your child; can she handle a setting where she will be "on her own" most of the time?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 AM

115 posts, read 424,302 times
Westminster is a challenging school. That should not be confused with "non-nurturing." The environment is entirely age appropriate. No algebra in Kindergarten. Is your desire for your child above all strong academics? If so, Westminster or Woodward. Or, are you seeking the overall experience of a private school (e.g. low student teacher ratios, strong arts programs)? If so, Lovett is a good choice.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 AM

16 posts, read 85,175 times
Westminster. If your child was accepted, then they are telling you she will do great in that environment. They rarely miss the mark. Westminster will nurture your daughter's talents and will supplement any areas of growth. Go wildcats!
We went through the application process this year for PF/K, and the feed back from our schools was that our son needed an extra year to mature a bit more...summer birthday. We will reapply next year to our schools and have a great public school option for next year.

(okay- now I will admit I am a Westminster alum).

Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 PM

21 posts, read 96,539 times
Curious to know what the 4th school you appled to was?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,421,132 times
Westminster is very competitive and one of the most renowned private schools in the United States. The Lovett School is also well regarded and of course has a different feel. I wouldn't place Woodward in the same league. Woodward is also very large, which is something I wouldn't be willing to pay for. Your child can have large in a public school.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 37,366 times
@lawteddyher - the 4th was Trinity... and we suspect my daughter's summer birthday was the cause (they were very upfront that her chances of acceptance to their K program were slim, so I can't fault them for following through on their decision, despite what were excellent JATP scores/rec's/etc)

We are anxiously weighing all three options, seeing the April 15th response deadline quickly approaching... thanks to everyone who has weighed in thus far. Any other insights from others? It is all helpful input!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM

205 posts, read 693,207 times
I have no first hand experience with any of the schools, however I did see an interesting decision making technique featured on the today show. It's called 10-10-10... and the basic is how you feel now about each education choice is probably the decision you would make 10 minutes from now. But now try to picture your child/family/yourself living in that decision 10 months from now, and then 10 years from now. It definitely altered my perspective on some things I am deciding.

Good luck in your decision-making.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,396,965 times
Dadof2Angels, don't default to the private schools on the assumption that they are the best environments for your children (not saying that they aren't in your case). I have 3 daughters - 2 in private school and one in public. I have to say, the private school is a good fit for one but not the other. The public school is a very good fit for my daughter there. Be very aware that the social pressure in the private school system are intense, particularly for pre-teen and teenage girls. These schools have many wealthy-family kids there and there is a prevailing attitude of privilege. Having said that, if your kid is studious, serious about learning and works hard to make good grades, then perhaps the pro's of private school outweigh the cons. If your child is not that studious and middle of the pack academically, I would encourage you to investigate public school options.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 PM

205 posts, read 693,207 times
+1 Ansley Park. Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: