Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,872 times

Advertisements

What is the best month to have a garage sale this year?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:02 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,753 times
I'm going to say May . I'd also suggest scheduling it around the 1st or 15th of the month because those are dates when many people get paid.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:12 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,384 times
There were many sales this past weekend where I live. I'd do it asap.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Spring (any month) is a good time.

Some pointers as I've had several and when we do them in my neighborhood this stuff guarantees maximum earnings and success:

1) Do them on a Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday. If you actually have the time do them all three days, though few folks do. If you have an actual garage, hold it in there so even if it threatens to rain you can just close it off until the next day.

2) Do NOT shut them down too early or start too late. People will show up at these things as early as 8am and as late as 5pm. Sometimes 30% or more of what I make, I make AFTER 2pm, which is the time most people have shut their down (bad mistake). On your signs, put the hours (examp: 8am-5pm rain or shine!).

3) Don't sell dumpster junk. One man's trash is another's treasure, but sometimes junk is just junk. Make it worth people's time to stop. One fold-out table with a handful of baby clothes and drinking glasses won't cut it. Get people together if you don't have enough yourself - sell bigger eye catching items, electronic, etc. People buy this stuff. Remember, you're trying to get rid of junk, not buy a car. Don't overprice and be prepared to haggle within reason. You may get many people there who speak not-so-great English, who come from countries where haggling is very common - don't be offended when they do it. Sell for a reasonable price.

4) Be prepared. Have grocery store bags for people, newspapers so you can wrap breakable items up for people, and have plenty of change ($1 $5 and $10 bills). You'd be amazed how many people here will do a yard sale and not one one single dollar bill in change for people right off the bat. Be ready.

Last, check with your local town about any laws. In my area you have to get a permit from City Hall to have a yard sale and put a permit sign up visibly on your table. Most places don't require it, but some do. There may also be laws about where you can put signs up (and make sure you take them down after the sale!).

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta