Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 AM

2 posts, read 16,446 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with all the homeless in Atlanta, I recently visited and that was a mistake. I went to Hard Rock and could have had a better meal at Mc Donalds i then left had to wade my way through at least a dozen pan handlers to get on the Marta to go to the Braves game,I was then met by more bums when I got off the shuttle at some landfill they call 5 points. The highlight of the night was when my wife almost stepped on a human turd in front of the old Coke World. I just want to know if I visit again where can I go besides Stone Mountain to avoid the homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Pretty much anywhere else in the city besides downtown; if you limited your exploration of Atlanta (a city of 5.7 million) to it's urban core, I don't doubt that your impression was unfavorable. It's not one of the city's best assets. Next time, get out and explore some of the other intown neighborhoods:
Midtown
Buckhead
Virginia-Highland
Ansley Park
Inman Park
Candler Park
Little Five Points
East Atlanta Village
Grant Park
Decatur

Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Pretty much anywhere else in the city besides downtown;
Agreed. That and don't take Marta to a Braves game. Drive instead.

Years ago someone decided it would be a brilliant idea to move the Braves shuttle from the 5 Points station to the other side of The Underground, forcing those who use it to walk all the way through The Underground to get to and from the shuttle. This was a really dumb idea. It leaves a terrible impression on any visitor who attempts to use Marta to get to the game (as the OP discovered). It's too bad Turner Field doesn't have better access to Marta, and it's a problem that officials don't really seem interested in fixing.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 AM

750 posts, read 2,277,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateATL View Post
What is the deal with all the homeless in Atlanta, I recently visited and that was a mistake. I went to Hard Rock and could have had a better meal at Mc Donalds i then left had to wade my way through at least a dozen pan handlers to get on the Marta to go to the Braves game,I was then met by more bums when I got off the shuttle at some landfill they call 5 points. The highlight of the night was when my wife almost stepped on a human turd in front of the old Coke World. I just want to know if I visit again where can I go besides Stone Mountain to avoid the homeless.

Judging from your screen name I would say not to come back.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,050,016 times
Taking Marta to a Braves game is great. Its affordable and the fastest way to arrive and leave the game. last year a guy from Chicago commented on the shuttle how efficient it was compared to Wrigley Field and how easy it was to leave the game quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Agreed. That and don't take Marta to a Braves game. Drive instead.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateATL View Post
I hope your wife said sorry to you. (J/K. I couldn't help myself).

To answer your simple question, any and all big cities have homeless people/issues. I know Atlanta's homeless problem may be an eyesore for some, but move along. You came to have fun, not count homeless heads. Hope you have more fun next time.

Or maybe you're just a magnet for the homeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
Judging from your screen name I would say not to come back.

I know. Looking at the screen name, I smell trolling. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:36 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,844 times
are you people ever IN midtown? The homeless are more in midtown than downtown IMO. They make more money that way. It looks like the dead rose from the grave around there.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
are you people ever IN midtown? The homeless are more in midtown than downtown IMO. They make more money that way. It looks like the dead rose from the grave around there.
Yes, I am, and IME it's much worse downtown...unless you want to call the area around Emory Midtown Hospital 'Midtown'. To me, Midtown begins/ends at North Avenue.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:36 PM

255 posts, read 464,421 times
Think it's bad at North Avenue? Go walk around Underground for about 15 minutes.

He's right. The downtown area (everything from Buckhead to West End), is a dump. I can't say a thing about it to recommend it.

But there are some nice areas in METRO Atlanta. If you notice, all the residents get the hell out of downtown as soon as the work day is finished. We don't want to be down there either.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,421,132 times
Downtown isn't one of Atlanta's greatest assets, which puts it in line with most of the newer American cities in the Southern and Western United States. It is sort of like who stays in Downtown Los Angeles (Yes to all Angelinos, Downtown LA is drastically improving)?

It remains one of my favourite cities to visit. I especially enjoy Buckhead and the surrounding area, as well as Midtown. There are some great little neighborhoods like Virginia Highland, Inman Park, Ansley Park, and East Atlanta Village.

Atlanta is really a great place for shopping I have come to find over the years, especially items for the home. I think Atlanta is really a trend setter when it comes to home interior design, as well as exterior in some respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta