Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 PM

6 posts, read 21,387 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently live in Pacifica, a small city in the SF Bay area and I just purchased my first home in Chamblee a month ago. I will be moving in a couple of weeks. After much soul searching I decided to move to the Atlanta area to be near my parents (my dad's been ill) as well as being able to purchase a better valued property that I can afford. It all worked out for me in terms of finding a home. I got a 1560 Sqft condo 3/2.5 for less than $60K. It was an REO in good condition and ITP. I picked the Chamblee area because I couldn't afford the more popular intown areas such as midtown, VH, CabbageTown, etc. My condo is actually appraised for double of what I purchased it for so in that respect I am happy with the investment. I am happy with the convenience to Marta and it's pretty much 10-15 minutes to everything. And let's not forget....TRADER JOES!

My five year plan is to land a gig in my profession of accounting while completing my higher education. I want to reconnect with my folks, particularly my dad cuz you never know how much longer they'll be around.

However, I am pretty sad right now. I mean " I Left My Heart in SF" sad. I've lived in the bay area for the past 20 years and many significant moments in life have occurred here. The landscape, culture, diversity, etc. are ingrained in my soul now. It's been about a month since I have returned to pack my things. Sometimes, a tinges of regret creep into my brain and I say to myself "What the hell did I just do?"

I moved with my family from my hometown Chicago to Atlanta in 85' after HS. I have to admit, I hated it at first. My life was in Chicago, and to me, nothing else compared. However, I soon learned to adjust and appreciate living in Atlanta. I moved to SF in 90' and fell in love with the Bay Area. No need to go into detail about my life here, just to say it has been the most amazing time in my life. No understatement.

With that said, there is a price to pay living here and presently I can't afford it. My priorities have evolved and changed, and I realized that I want to own a home without having to kill myself to pay the mortgage like some of my friends. Also, I have paid the price in not having the connection with my dad after many, many years. Since he is older and ill, as the eldest, I feel compelled to be close to my dad.

Thus my choice to move back to Atlanta. IMHO, the Atlanta of today is very different from my previous life there. It is definitely a nice and beautiful city and it has a lot to offer. I see more ethnic/cultural diversity which was a concern for me. It's not my desire to try to compare both cities...I think that would pointless and inflammatory. They are both different cities and I have adopted the mindset to live in the here and now...the present moment.

With that said are there any SF Bay Area expats living in Atlanta who would like to share how you adapted and adjusted to life here? I particularly would like to here from folks who lived in SF.

Sorry for the long narrative...just wanted to give some background on my situation. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:46 PM

645 posts, read 1,452,274 times
ANy jobs hiring in Atlanta? cuz I'm thinking about moving there myself.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:13 AM

11 posts, read 31,044 times
Default sf / pacifica / South City to atl

I'm not yet in Atlanta, but I used to live in South City right above Pacifica. I'm in the East Bay now, but I used to love hiking / running / biking along Sweeny Ridge. I would also do Montera every once and a while also.

I'm actually fighting a relocation to Atlanta, because I love all of the outdoor hiking options in the Bay Area. Yes I could have a huge house in Atlanta, but well you can't beat the Muir woods, Yosimitte, Tahoe or even Mt. Tam, Mt. Hamilton, and all of the great varity of resturants.

I'm not bashing or putting Atlanta down, because there are a few upsides with living there with the biggest being your buck goes a lot further. I just miss the Bay Area before I've stepped a single foot out of it. Heck as I type this I am missing running the hills of Sharp Park and smelling the crisp ocean air.

IROBOT

Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 AM

"I'm not bashing or putting Atlanta down, because there are a few upsides with living there with the biggest being your buck goes a lot further. I just miss the Bay Area before I've stepped a single foot out of it. Heck as I type this I am missing running the hills of Sharp Park and smelling the crisp ocean air."

Irobot, that's exactly how I am feeling. I myself am an avid runner, kayaker, and hiker. My favorite running locations include the Embarcadero from the Ferry building to Pier 39 then south towards 3rd near AT&T Park and back to the Ferry Building, Pacifica Pier to Mori Point to Pacifica Beach, Ocean Beach at Sloat Blvd to the Cliff House, Fort Mason to Presidio/Crissy Field across Golden Gate Bridge and back, and Lands End to China Camp. Let's also not forget the fabulous but wacky Bay to Breakers race

Knowing the importance of maintaining my outdoor lifestyle in the Atlanta area, I made a few visits to Stone Mountain (closest to my new home) and I really liked the location. The annual parking pass is a very reasonable $35. The park is very beautiful and the park staff were friendly & welcoming. While I am not feeling any love for the Civil War carving or the confederate flag, times have changed for the better, and it is a excellent commentary that people of all colors, creeds, and persuasions were enjoying the several trails around the park.

Stone Mountain has an awesome lake for my weekly fitness paddles. I am so happy I have a place to go for my morning paddles! I visited the Chattahoochee National Forest near Roswell and hiked 2 hours along the river. I met the very nice owner of "Shoot the Hooch" a local paddling outfitter and can't wait to paddle the "Hooch". I am also looking forward to hiking and running in Panola and Arabia State parks. When you move to Atlanta, let's go running!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
There is a lot of good water in the N Ga, W NC, E Tn area for paddling if you want some stuff a little more challenging than the hooch. There are also a lot of good fishing spots in that area. I can imagine it would be tough to trade SF for ATL but it could be worse I suppose.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irobot View Post
I'm not yet in Atlanta, but I used to live in South City right above Pacifica. I'm in the East Bay now, but I used to love hiking / running / biking along Sweeny Ridge. I would also do Montera every once and a while also.

I'm actually fighting a relocation to Atlanta, because I love all of the outdoor hiking options in the Bay Area. Yes I could have a huge house in Atlanta, but well you can't beat the Muir woods, Yosimitte, Tahoe or even Mt. Tam, Mt. Hamilton, and all of the great varity of resturants.

I'm not bashing or putting Atlanta down, because there are a few upsides with living there with the biggest being your buck goes a lot further. I just miss the Bay Area before I've stepped a single foot out of it. Heck as I type this I am missing running the hills of Sharp Park and smelling the crisp ocean air.

IROBOT

You many not realize this--

But, Atlanta has so many outdoor hiking options. People around the nation don't realize this until they get here or visit here.

Atlanta is known as the "City in a Forest" or "City of Trees" for a reason.

Our urban/suburban forest is unmatched--really. I think you'll like Atlanta.

And hopefully, we'll be able to say to you soon..."Welcome South, Brother."

Old 05-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
There is a lot of good water in the N Ga, W NC, E Tn area for paddling if you want some stuff a little more challenging than the hooch. There are also a lot of good fishing spots in that area. I can imagine it would be tough to trade SF for ATL but it could be worse I suppose.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do plan on visiting the Chattanooga area for paddling. I am mainly a flat water (lake-bay-ocean) paddler. No whitewater for me You are right, the trade is kinda of tough on me right now, but I am gaining a nice home and new way of life. I am looking forward to the move.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:51 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPaddler View Post

Irobot, that's exactly how I am feeling. I myself am an avid runner, kayaker, and hiker. My favorite running locations include the Embarcadero from the Ferry building to Pier 39 then south towards 3rd near AT&T Park and back to the Ferry Building, Pacifica Pier to Mori Point to Pacifica Beach, Ocean Beach at Sloat Blvd to the Cliff House, Fort Mason to Presidio/Crissy Field across Golden Gate Bridge and back, and Lands End to China Camp. Let's also not forget the fabulous but wacky Bay to Breakers race

Knowing the importance of maintaining my outdoor lifestyle in the Atlanta area, I made a few visits to Stone Mountain (closest to my new home) and I really liked the location. The annual parking pass is a very reasonable $35. The park is very beautiful and the park staff were friendly & welcoming. While I am not feeling any love for the Civil War carving or the confederate flag, times have changed for the better, and it is a excellent commentary that people of all colors, creeds, and persuasions were enjoying the several trails around the park.

Stone Mountain has an awesome lake for my weekly fitness paddles. I am so happy I have a place to go for my morning paddles! I visited the Chattahoochee National Forest near Roswell and hiked 2 hours along the river. I met the very nice owner of "Shoot the Hooch" a local paddling outfitter and can't wait to paddle the "Hooch". I am also looking forward to hiking and running in Panola and Arabia State parks. When you move to Atlanta, let's go running!
This might interest you also, if you haven't already discovered it: Silver Comet Trail Georgia - Welcome

Some of these whitewater areas are nearby, while some are in South Georgia...but it's a list worth checking into: Georgia, white water

One more site...a good reference for outdoor recreation: Georgia's Premier Recreation and Adventure Website

Old 09-10-2010, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,830 times
I am Orignally from the Bay Area I spent my first 22 years in San Francisco,I basically moved away due to the cost of living but cultural, and family oriented wise it's the best place to be. I recently moved to Las Vegas and well w/ me having children let's just say not too kid friendly, therefore I'm looking for A better atmosphere for my children i believe Atlanta would be great place to live I'm a bit skeptical only because I have never been to Atlanta I only hear that it's family oriented and well of course it's the south so I think country and I am definitely a city girl, I thought I would share my thoughts on living in San Francisco so where do I start OMG I love it the best place on the down side the traffic, and cost of living but trasportation is great you can get aywhere in the bay area weather it's bus,BART or Cal-train you have no worries. So if your moving to San Francisco enjoy!

Old 09-10-2010, 04:33 PM

461 posts, read 1,069,078 times
Default My favorite bike/hiking trail

Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta