Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 PM

24 posts, read 76,625 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any pit bull friendly housing - and neighborhoods- in the Atlanta metro area? We are moving in the next 3 months and have a 1 yr old pit bull.
I am aware that 99% of apartments will not allow them (I am in property management myself and 'hiding' or 'misleading' the rental office is not an option). We are looking for a private renter (condo, townhome or house - preferably with yard) that will give our lil pup a chance.

OSN - I am really not looking for feedback on why we have a pit bull or any Vick references (every pit owner is NOT a monster). Our dog is the darling of our current neighborhood (yes a pit bull that our neighbors actually ask to pet sit and the vet techs stay late/come early to see when she has an appt). She is a pure breed (6 generations) that is the sweetest, cutest thing you ever want to see.

I apologize in advance if this comes off a bit on the offensive but any responsible owner that has, or has ever had, a pit, rottie, staffie, doberman, etc. can understand the stigma surrounding our pooches can be quite frustrating.

Last edited by NY2NC07; 05-23-2010 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: entered additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 09:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
One thing to note, is that many home owner insurance companies now have certain breeds of dogs on a list and they will not insure a property if the owner has one of the breeds living on the property (this would include renters living on the property as well). The lists vary per company, as in some may include a German Shepherd while another does not but includes Chows, etc., but those that have this list all include Pit Bulls.

It's commendable that you have said you will not try to hide the fact you own a Pit Bull to any prospective landlords. I just wanted to make you aware that due to home owners insurance clauses these days, it may be hard to find someone who owns a condo/home who's willing to chance it. So don't be offended if you get a lot of "no" answers - it's just the home owners wanting to make sure they're legally covered.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:13 PM

24 posts, read 76,625 times
Appreciate the note, but we did run into that when we first moved to NC. We do have additional insurance already in place, as there are companies that will provide a seperate policy for certain breeds. All we have to do is transfer it over.

I wouldn't be offended at all either way. Any owner has the right to decide who they want to have as a tenant, regardless of reason. We would just really like to rent before buying in new area and def want our dog to be with us.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
I don't know of any neighborhoods that are specifically 'Pit Friendly' but I know that many responsible owners, some of them Pit owners, take their dogs to the Pinckneyville dog bark in Gwinnett county. People travel from other areas to visit this dog park so I am hesitant to say that the neighborhoods around it are where they live--assuming that many do live near the park/recreation center. Located on S. Old Peachtree Rd--between Norcross and Duluth.

There are some upscale neighborhoods in the area and many breeds of dogs come to the park.

Every county has its own animal control ordinances, FWIW.

From Google--I think the county websites were listed---you might find FYI there. The focus of the article is the number of pets allowed per household.>>>
http://www.examiner.com/x-/x-2469-Atlanta-Pet-Rescue-Examiner~y2009m2d17-Pet-Limits-for-Cobb-DeKalb-Fulton--Gwinnett-County (broken link)

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-24-2010 at 08:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: