Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times

Advertisements

Intresting thread I saw in the Columbia forum... Remember before 2007 when people fom Augusta were the one's driving to Columbia to shop and dine... Lately it's been the other way around...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/columbia-area/1260821-pf-changs.html

Can Augusta become a major southern shopping/dining/entertainment destination instead of regional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 05:48 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,913,242 times
I think so, I'm finalizing my interstate plans to be submitted. I think with a second controlled access road especially one that goes downtown and by the airport, Augusta will take off, because that opens downtown and the airport up for major development. The era of international augusta is apond us. Everything is falling into place.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:47 PM

115 posts, read 243,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Intresting thread I saw in the Columbia forum... Remember before 2007 when people fom Augusta were the one's driving to Columbia to shop and dine... Lately it's been the other way around...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/columbia-area/1260821-pf-changs.html

Can Augusta become a major southern shopping/dining/entertainment destination instead of regional?
That is weird you would think the capitol of south Carolina would have a P.F. Changs. While that may be one of the small differences that seperates the AUG with the Metro, I'll take any victory we can gain. Besides Columbia is just a slightly bigger Augusta and we have many similarities to Columbia. One of the biggest that I can see is the western part of both cities are growing rapidly. It won't be long until Augusta is like Columbia.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 PM

91 posts, read 244,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-town706 View Post
It won't be long until Augusta is like Columbia.
hopefully not

Old 04-24-2011, 02:00 AM

614 posts, read 1,102,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-town706 View Post
That is weird you would think the capitol of south Carolina would have a P.F. Changs. While that may be one of the small differences that seperates the AUG with the Metro, I'll take any victory we can gain. Besides Columbia is just a slightly bigger Augusta and we have many similarities to Columbia. One of the biggest that I can see is the western part of both cities are growing rapidly. It won't be long until Augusta is like Columbia.

I've been saying that for years. Except, I just say that Columbia is Augusta with a skyline.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
I've been saying that for years. Except, I just say that Columbia is Augusta with a skyline.
And the Statehouse. And the state's flagship university. And a zoo. And a larger, more prominent FIRE industry.

Seriously, they are quite similar but I think it goes beyond skyline just a wee bit.

But yeah, Columbia is lagging a bit with a few retail/restaurant offerings (and I'm puzzled as to why), but that's a far cry from saying that Augusta is going to become a "major shopping/dining/entertainment destination" in the South. Truth is, most people in Columbia go to Charlotte to shop at stores and eat as restaurants that Columbia doesn't have since Charlotte offers much more in terms of retail and restaurants, isn't that much farther away than Augusta is, and people can make a day trip/weekend out of it by going to Carowinds, checking out a Bobcats or Panthers game, etc. (or they go to Charleston and make a weekend out of it). And I'd say it's a stretch to call Charlotte a "major shopping/dining/entertainment destination" in the South. Augusta is about where it should be in those categories or just a little bit further ahead, but it's not about to become an Atlanta or Orlando or Miami--the TRUE major shopping/dining/entertainment hubs in the Southeast--in any of our lifetimes.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:34 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Stats View Post
hopefully not
Why do you say that? The guy was only talking about size.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,696,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Atlanta or Orlando or Miami
Those were the 3 cities that immediately popped into my mind when I thought of the "major shopping/dining/entertainment destinations" in the South...Augusta won't be in the same category as these cities for generations.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And the Statehouse. And the state's flagship university. And a zoo. And a larger, more prominent FIRE industry.

Seriously, they are quite similar but I think it goes beyond skyline just a wee bit.

But yeah, Columbia is lagging a bit with a few retail/restaurant offerings (and I'm puzzled as to why), but that's a far cry from saying that Augusta is going to become a "major shopping/dining/entertainment destination" in the South. Truth is, most people in Columbia go to Charlotte to shop at stores and eat as restaurants that Columbia doesn't have since Charlotte offers much more in terms of retail and restaurants, isn't that much farther away than Augusta is, and people can make a day trip/weekend out of it by going to Carowinds, checking out a Bobcats or Panthers game, etc. (or they go to Charleston and make a weekend out of it). And I'd say it's a stretch to call Charlotte a "major shopping/dining/entertainment destination" in the South. Augusta is about where it should be in those categories or just a little bit further ahead, but it's not about to become an Atlanta or Orlando or Miami--the TRUE major shopping/dining/entertainment hubs in the Southeast--in any of our lifetimes.
I agree. I'd rather have a zoo than P.F. Changs. But there isn't much difference between the two cities. The only real exception is that Columbia is the state capital. It seems that you have a problem believing folks would drive to Augusta instead of Charlotte. Personally, I'd go to Charlotte. But the fact of the matter is is that more and more folks from Columbia are coming to Augusta.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
Those were the 3 cities that immediately popped into my mind when I thought of the "major shopping/dining/entertainment destinations" in the South...Augusta won't be in the same category as these cities for generations.

Totally agree. I think there are a few more cities from Florida and Charlotte will be in the mix soon enough. But, we all know that Augusta won't be a major shopping/dining/entertainment destination. What sets Augusta apart from a lot of other cities is that we live in a one trick pony state. The folks of east central Georgia and southern portions in South Carolina don't have anything and Augusta fills that void best it can. That is exactly why we have some stores and restaurants that cities like Columbia don't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area