Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM

998 posts, read 1,550,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
We already both know the city owns the property... The city already announced their the moving the bus depot to South Augusta a long time ago.. The bus depot property was going to be vacant, and it's for sale..

Please show me were taxpayer money is funding the neighborhood Walmart? Didn't Walmart pay for the city owned property??

Get rid of your personal biased towards the government one time, and acknowledge this..

The city will received sales tax revenue from the new Walmart for years to come, and ZERO from GHSU if they got the property.. I haven't heard anybody living in the immediate area( Summerville, Harrisburg, Olde Town, CBD, etc) say we received a bad deal...

''I welcome something nice into the area," said Lori Davis with the Harrisburg Neighborhood Association.''

If you want to argue property tax for one wal-mart store (who would've built elsewhere in the area and still paid property tax) against 2 billion dollars... be my guest. You want to argue state and local income tax for the two for employees? Probably not...

Bottom line is... according to a little thing I like to call "math", which has no bias, the taxpayers got a bad deal. And if you care to argue with that, again, be my guest. City owns the property, taxpayers pay for the property... hence the taxpayers money. I don't see what's so hard to understand here...

I'm sorry, but when the city government is as upside-down as this one is... they do it to themselves. If you really wanted Augusta to be the "fastest rising city in the south" or whatever, you'd demand more yourself. As it is, continue to give half the story of the city

As far as Lori Davis' quote... she likes to champion herself as a maverick, a person that can't be bought and out to squash the back room wheeling-and-dealing... This quote just means that she's full of it herself as well; she got something in her neck of the woods and doesn't care how it happened. This flies in the face of what she has been preaching for the last few years... has it not? My brother is a Richmond County deputy, she's also "out there".

But, I'll see your Lori Davis quote and raise you this Bill Lockett quote in today's paper..."You haven't heard the last word on the TEE Center, it is so messed up." I don't want to have to pound these guys into the ground for their either: 1) stupidity or 2) lack of leadership, but how do you not? I love this city and THAT is why I'm so tough on our dysfunctional city "leadership". You have people in there that are in over there heads and under qualified to be doing what they're doing. It's plain and simple and it shows.

Last edited by tckr83; 03-06-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I think you may be jumping the gun with your wording on this article.. The reporter asked does that mean 'legal action' and he said nothing is off the table..

The contract is already signed with Walmart, and this is nothing but GHSU making sure they're included in the master plan..

I'm starting to get a bit irritated with the actions of GHSU lately.. They received an $10 million loan from the city in order to build on the former Gilbert Manor property..

They tried to close part of Laney Walker without public discussion, and it severely backfired.. Now they're mad because they feel left out of the Walmart deal.. There's only so much room in the Medical District-CBD for private companies, Paine College, GHSU, and now even ASU..

GHSU may want to slow down and talk to an public relations person.. They're going to start turning people against them in the future.. With all of the buget cuts and lack of funding from the state, GHSU will definitely need the city's help again in the future..
I'm irritated by Azziz, wal-mart and Augusta government everybody money hungry. Azziz is not for augusta he for himself. Wal-mart want a store on every street corner like a liquor store. Augusta government so worried about who they can blame when a deal go bad then finding the right deal. Why they had to move so fast on this deal? Who is Lori Davis she just power hungry? when she win the seat she will change just like all the other crooks. I don't think all.of them start out as crooks but I think all of them end up a crook. I don't think GHSU made a good pick when they hire Azziz he is very wasteful when it come to money but not when he running his mouth.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
If you want to argue property tax for one wal-mart store (who would've built elsewhere in the area and still paid property tax) against 2 billion dollars... be my guest. You want to argue state and local income tax for the two for employees? Probably not...

Bottom line is... according to a little thing I like to call "math", which has no bias, the taxpayers got a bad deal. And if you care to argue with that, again, be my guest. City owns the property, taxpayers pay for the property... hence the taxpayers money. I don't see what's so hard to understand here...

I'm sorry, but when the city government is as upside-down as this one is... they do it to themselves. If you really wanted Augusta to be the "fastest rising city in the south" or whatever, you'd demand more yourself. As it is, continue to give half the story of the city

As far as Lori Davis' quote... she likes to champion herself as a maverick, a person that can't be bought and out to squash the back room wheeling-and-dealing... This quote just means that she's full of it herself as well; she got something in her neck of the woods and doesn't care how it happened. This flies in the face of what she has been preaching for the last few years... has it not? My brother is a Richmond County deputy, she's also "out there".

But, I'll see your Lori Davis quote and raise you this Bill Lockett quote in today's paper..."You haven't heard the last word on the TEE Center, it is so messed up." I don't want to have to pound these guys into the ground for their either: 1) stupidity or 2) lack of leadership, but how do you not? I love this city and THAT is why I'm so tough on our dysfunctional city "leadership". You have people in there that are in over there heads and under qualified to be doing what they're doing. It's plain and simple and it shows.
Yeah, the TEE center is definitely starting to turn into that elephant in the room. I thought that things would get better very soon for Augusta since the school merger, but it appears Dr. Azziz talks as much trash as the commissioners.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM

I don't understand why they going on about the master plan, when the master plan don't look like a true master plan. What they need to do is throw alway that old plan and start on a new state-of-the-art plan.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
The property is really apart of the Medical District.. I think if the development were located on Walton Way near Tubman or Broad street near the Kroc Center. Then it would truly be an 'Harrisburg'' development.. The developer probably focused on being near the thousands of people working in the MD, and still be able to attract downtown residents.. The 15th street location can draw people from Summerville, Waters Edge, Harrisburg, Medical District, CBD, and Olde Town..

The CBD has the disposable income, but not the immediate surrounding population(1 mile) compared to this property.. I don't think the 6k population of the CBD was enought to support the retailer.. In the future maybe Target or Publix could renovate one of the buildings on Broad..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
I just wish that this project was in downtown Augusta....Downtown Augusta needs the Wal-mart Market and other retail that's coming with it way more than Harrisburg. It would have definitely made DT Augusta unique and given it a major retailer.

I said Dr. Azziz was doing nothing more than making sure GHSU became apart of the development..

Georgia Health Sciences University President Ricardo Azziz worried about Walmart land deal | The Augusta Chronicle
Azziz said he has heard from the developer, Blanchard and Calhoun, and from the city but would like to see a broader plan “relatively soon,” perhaps this week or next.

“Certainly, they have the opportunity to build not just one grocery store but multiple commercial facilities, perhaps a hotel, perhaps actual living space, a number of things,” he said. “And to be fair to the city, the city is interested in doing the same thing. We just need to find now that win-win plan, which should not be very hard to do if people are willing and desirous of doing it.”

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-06-2012 at 10:17 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM

The foundation is still seeking answers on why it was not allowed to buy the Augusta Public Transit property next to its 13 acres off 15th Street. The foundation made an offer of $1 million for the property in 2009 after hearing from developers, including one from Atlanta, that outlined plans for a hotel, two restaurants and perhaps a continuing education center and alumni center on the expanded site, Osborne said. Most major health sciences universities, such as Duke and the University of Alabama-Birmingham, have similar facilities next door, and the property serves as an entrance to the university and to the medical district, he said.

Home | Mobile Augusta

Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM

937 posts, read 1,801,939 times
Wasn't the downtown border expanded up to Paine college so technically downtown is getting the grocery store

Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 PM

998 posts, read 1,550,731 times
Technically it is just as close to stick the Wal-Mart in downtown North Augusta, just across the 13th street bridge from the CBD... Downtown and Midtown Atlanta are about the same distance as the CBD and 15th/walton way... 2.3 miles (Atlanta) and 1.7 miles (Augusta). It's a ways from what is known as downtown Augusta.

There are good things that will come from this and there are bad... I just didn't like the way it was handled. It's just another example of things that have been going on around here and will make some companies look twice before locating here.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 AM

It was Azzie vs Wal mart and commissioners now its Azzie vs Cal Ripken and the Mayor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area