Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times

Advertisements

The rumors about the Kroger Market Place opening in the Gateway area outside Grovetown seem to be true.....

Columbia County approves $700,000 in incentives for development | The Augusta Chronicle

Kroger Market knocks Grovetown off the future Target list, but North/South Augusta have the advantage due to population anyway..

The next Target in metro Augusta is definitely coming to North Augusta(I-20/exit 5) or South Augusta(I-520/Peach Orchard/Windsor Spring)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Congratulations to Grovetown to receiving a Kroger Marketplace!

It would not surprise me to see Food Lion stores #1446 (806 Horizon South Parkway, Grovetown, GA 30813-3037) and #2143 (5154 Columbia Road, Grovetown, GA 30813-5205) close.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Kroger opened in 2009 off Columbia road and it's outside the city limits(closer to the nicer subdivisions in Grovetown)... The homes off William Few Parkway, Columbia road, Baker Place, etc are pretty close in proximity.. The Food Lion on Horizon South Parkway is located in city limits near older housing and will struggle the most...

The Food Lion off South Belair road in Martinez(Walmart market shopping center) will probably be the first to close in Columbia County...

Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM

Is Walmart Neighborhood Market going up nearby South Belair Road? Not only would that spell a quick decline for Food Lion #1596 (365 South Belair Road, Augusta, GA 30907-8837), Bi-Lo #5625 (4480 Columbia Road, Augusta, GA 30907-4253) will struggle.

Besides Grovetown, are there any leads of Kroger opening Kroger Marketplace stores in the Augusta market? I would be curious to see if one could be on the way for Aiken County, South Carolina, which has two stores in Aiken and North Augusta.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:44 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,413,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Is Walmart Neighborhood Market going up nearby South Belair Road? Not only would that spell a quick decline for Food Lion #1596 (365 South Belair Road, Augusta, GA 30907-8837), Bi-Lo #5625 (4480 Columbia Road, Augusta, GA 30907-4253) will struggle.
That's the one Nortonguy was just referencing with this comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The Food Lion off South Belair road in Martinez(Walmart market shopping center) will probably be the first to close in Columbia County...
I doubt the Food Lion at Exit 5 in North Augusta lasts too long once the Walmart opens across the street. Especially since at least half of the current tenants in that center with Food Lion have already committed to moving across the street to the new Walmart center.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:23 PM

Default Food Lion #2666, 135 Market Place Drive, North Augusta, SC 29860-9274

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
I doubt the Food Lion at Exit 5 in North Augusta lasts too long once the Walmart opens across the street. Especially since at least half of the current tenants in that center with Food Lion have already committed to moving across the street to the new Walmart center.
Food Lion #2666 is one of the few stores that does very good business, and one of the 30 rare pharmacy stores. It was previously Winn Dixie #1005, a Marketplace store, which closed in 2005 when it exited the market. It would be a great location to acquire if Food Lion exists the market unless Kroger and Publix intend to open new stores nearby.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,413,320 times
Quote:
Food Lion #2666 is one of the few stores that does very good business, and one of the 30 rare pharmacy stores. It was previously Winn Dixie #1005, a Marketplace store, which closed in 2005 when it exited the market. It would be a great location to acquire if Food Lion exists the market unless Kroger and Publix intend to open new stores nearby.
I'm not sure who would acquire it, though. The Kroger and Publix locations in the middle of NA do quite well, particularly Kroger. Bi-Lo in NA is currently kind of in no-man's land with it's current location in the old Edgewood Square where Walmart used to be before the Supercenter on Knox Ave was built. But for Bi-Lo to move into that Food Lion (if it were to close), that would be a pretty ballsy move for them to locate directly across from the new Walmart.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:45 PM

423 posts, read 448,119 times
Quote:
I'm not sure who would acquire it, though. The Kroger and Publix locations in the middle of NA do quite well, particularly Kroger. Bi-Lo in NA is currently kind of in no-man's land with it's current location in the old Edgewood Square where Walmart used to be before the Supercenter on Knox Ave was built. But for Bi-Lo to move into that Food Lion (if it were to close), that would be a pretty ballsy move for them to locate directly across from the new Walmart.
I dont see BiLo spending the money to make that move since they are hurting so bad that they just withdrew from an IPO and they are firing a large number of their full timers to replace them with part timers.
As for whats coming to grovetown it could be a krogers or a publix, I'm kinda hoping its a publix though.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Growth will continue north of North Augusta. Either Bi-Lo, Kroger or Publix should not have a problem adding a second North Augusta store. Winn Dixie was successful with two stores up to their 2005 exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst8670 View Post
I dont see BiLo spending the money to make that move since they are hurting so bad that they just withdrew from an IPO and they are firing a large number of their full timers to replace them with part timers.
As for whats coming to grovetown it could be a krogers or a publix, I'm kinda hoping its a publix though.
I think more is going on behind the scenes with Bi-Lo Holdings beyond their IPO withdrawal. Is Lone Star Funds ready to sell the chain of Bi-Lo, Harvey's and Winn Dixie to a competitor presently in the Augusta market, but not in Bi-Lo or Winn Dixie's current footprints in other markets?

Bi-Lo is eliminating many hourly full-time positions, or reclassifying associates as part-time. The only hourly full-time positions remaining are department heads and assistants. I know many associates that have left Bi-Lo.

I would like to see Publix get busy opening more stores around Augusta.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:13 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Quote:
Growth will continue north of North Augusta. Either Bi-Lo, Kroger or Publix should not have a problem adding a second North Augusta store. Winn Dixie was successful with two stores up to their 2005 exit.

I think more is going on behind the scenes with Bi-Lo Holdings beyond their IPO withdrawal. Is Lone Star Funds ready to sell the chain of Bi-Lo, Harvey's and Winn Dixie to a competitor presently in the Augusta market, but not in Bi-Lo or Winn Dixie's current footprints in other markets?

Bi-Lo is eliminating many hourly full-time positions, or reclassifying associates as part-time. The only hourly full-time positions remaining are department heads and assistants. I know many associates that have left Bi-Lo.

I would like to see Publix get busy opening more stores around Augusta.
Bilo is a cheap-O. They work the s**t out of their workers for pennies on the dollar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area