Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:16 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times

Advertisements

How do ya'll think the area will develop in the new year. Personally, I believe the following may happen.
-Increased development in Downtown Augusta
-Redevelopment plan for the King Mill is announced
-More tenants are announced for Sibley Mill Cyber Center
-Work FINALLY begins on Project Jackson and Mullins Crossing Phase II
-A major job announcement will be made for the Augusta Corporate Park
-Talk of an inland port in South Augusta will get more serious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 07:57 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,913,242 times
I predict three major announcements will be made in 2017; First, it will be announced that I-20 will be widened from from exit 194 to the Columbia/McDuffie County line. I-520 will be widened from Deans Bridge Rd to Mike Padgett Hwy with a new interchange at Richmond Hill, Windsor Spring and Peach Orchard Rd. Second, the city of Augusta and Augusta University will finally announce a joint 13,000 seat venue on the riverfront to replace the James Brown Arena. Last the Augusta National will announce a massive land purchase that will spread the club's blueprint almost to Boy Scout Rd.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:26 AM

351 posts, read 884,597 times
interesting I think will also see more announcements of major industries and retail.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I predict three major announcements will be made in 2017; First, it will be announced that I-20 will be widened from from exit 194 to the Columbia/McDuffie County line. I-520 will be widened from Deans Bridge Rd to Mike Padgett Hwy with a new interchange at Richmond Hill, Windsor Spring and Peach Orchard Rd. Second, the city of Augusta and Augusta University will finally announce a joint 13,000 seat venue on the riverfront to replace the James Brown Arena. Last the Augusta National will announce a massive land purchase that will spread the club's blueprint almost to Boy Scout Rd.
I could see a new joint arena being announced, but I don't think it will be a riverfront site as the arena authority has already ruled out the old golf and gardens site, plus AU still hasn't decided what to do with that site. As for the widening of I-20 in Columbia, GDOT has plans to widen that stretch beginning in 2030. Also for the Peach Orchard/Windsor Spring Rd Interchange, a study is planned to see what improvements can be made there.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:42 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,413,320 times
IMO no way there's room for any sort of arena on the river unless you're talking up or down river from downtown. I don't think even a smaller performing arts center would have room down there when you consider parking.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:50 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,389,850 times
I could see a new parking deck announcement made for board street, a couple of retailers, new life around the train depot, more excitement around the riverwalk, south augusta big announcement

Old 12-23-2016, 02:01 PM

568 posts, read 699,131 times
1. Indictments of several county government officials
2. Zero Sum Gain Employment Figures
3. Continued dysfunctional local government
4. More Goats
5. New "Hart Drive" oversight committee formed

Old 12-23-2016, 02:25 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Hahaha.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:10 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
I could see a new parking deck announcement made for board street, a couple of retailers, new life around the train depot, more excitement around the riverwalk, south augusta big announcement
I would like to see proactive participation in addressing southern Augusta-Richmond County. Could an inland port spur activity in that area?

Old 12-24-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I would like to see proactive participation in addressing southern Augusta-Richmond County. Could an inland port spur activity in that area?
I think in 2017 you will see more attention paid to South Richmond County. Particularly, when it comes to spurring retail growth and jobs. I believe we will see more jobs announced for the Augusta Corporate Park. if you remember, earlier this year we had EdenCrete announce they would build a new plant and North American HQ at the park that will bring 250 jobs to the area. I also believe that an inland port will be announced as well. As for the inland port spurring activity, I think it will. As the Port of Savannah grows, it will put more strain on an already strained transportation network linking Savannah and Atlanta, Augusta could market itself as an alternate route to markets in the eastern Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and even eastern Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area