Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM

20 posts, read 80,964 times

Advertisements

http://www.ired.com/pix/map/ga-counties.gif (broken link)

As you can see in the pink part which is metro augusta . Even though all the counties are not in the metro according to the census. They will become in the future and have people commuting to augusta already. Hancock, wilkes, taliaferro, are in augusta's. Wilkes is in augusta not athens. And greene is apart of athens like i said earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:37 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,971 times
They are not within Augusta's metro area.. What criteria do you use to make this assertion? Macon or Athens could just as easily claim these places as part of "their" metro areas.. as several of the counties you listed are actually closer to those cities. The only real definition of a "metro" area is the one set forth by the OMB.. others are purely anecdotal and subject to personal bias. Using your definition.. why can't Columbia, SC claim Aiken County as part of it's "metro" area.. hey they are in the same same state.
When faced with the facts.. you simply like to invent new ones to suit your own definition you have created for yourself.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:45 PM

I never said they were apart of augusta's metro according to the census. I said they have commuting patterns that are more to augusta's.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:47 PM

those shadings do not represent metro areas... If they are.. then where is metro Atlanta?(Why are Cobb and Gwinnett Counties located in Separate metro areas? When they are both part of metro Atlanta) .. and according to your analysis of this map which has no context, every county in Georgia is part of a "metro" area. And if you also look at the map...Valdosta
This is likely a map of service districts of some state agency.
Like The State Convention and Visitors Bureau divides the state into travel districts.. such as "Classic South", "Historic Heartland", "Presidential Pathways" that have no correlation to specific metro areas.. but then you simply post a map with no context of data to interpret it.
I could post a map of shaded congressional districts and claim they represent "metro" areas.. they don't.. The 10th district stretches from Augusta to Athens to the mountains of northeast Georgia.. claiming this geographic area represents one metro area would be false.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:49 PM

Well if they did.. then the OMB would include these places as part of Augusta's MSA.. but apparantly they do not meet that "commuting" criterium set forth by the OMB to be considered part of Augusta's metro area. I'm sure thgere are also people who live in these counties who commute to Athens, Macon, and even Atlanta. The evidence you provided is anecdotal.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:49 PM

On the original article with the picture. The areas around atlanta do say atlanta suburbs. Just seperates them by east atlanta suburbs, south atlanta, and west atlanta suburbs.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:38 PM

17 posts, read 22,566 times
Default There are people who live in metro augusta and work in atlanta

This is becoming more and more of a reality for people. Especially if you work in suburban atlanta. As in dekalb, rockdale, newton, and gwinnet counties. I can get from my home in west augusta to lithonia in about under a hour. If you live in a suburb of augusta. Then there are several counties in a hour distance to parts of atlanta.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 AM

913 posts, read 2,986,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemann View Post
This is becoming more and more of a reality for people. Especially if you work in suburban atlanta. As in dekalb, rockdale, newton, and gwinnet counties. I can get from my home in west augusta to lithonia in about under a hour. If you live in a suburb of augusta. Then there are several counties in a hour distance to parts of atlanta.
Yea, if you are driving 100+ miles in hour. That's impossible.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 13,396 times
Do you know anyone that would like to vanpool from augusta to atlanta to get to work on a daily basis?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 PM

194 posts, read 529,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherisesonhigh View Post
Do you know anyone that would like to vanpool from augusta to atlanta to get to work on a daily basis?
I know there are several people who do. My sister does commute to Atlanta but only 2 days a week. To places in gwinnett and cobb mostly. You just have to find the people who do. Try to post a ad on diffrent sities, & spread the word you're looking to carpool. What part of Augusta do you live in? What part of Atlanta are you commuting ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area