Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 PM

543 posts, read 1,316,941 times

Advertisements

Bill would abolish Golf Hall | The Augusta Chronicle

"Bill 449, sponsored by Sens. Hardie Davis and J.B. Powell, would officially disband the state entity that stopped operation on 2007 when Gov. Sonny Perdue cut off funding. Since then, the 16-acre site has gone to seed, and statues of golfers inducted into the hall have been in mothballs until recently.

Now the bill would merely turn control over to the Georgia Department of Economic Development in place of the hall of fame's appointed board. The land would revert to the State Properties Commission that Perdue chairs.
If it passes in the Senate, the bill would also have to be approved by the House and Perdue to take effect."

Senate measure could mean new locations for Macon museums - State Legislature - Macon.com

I say try to lure the Georgia Music & Sports Hall of Fame to Augusta. A few from Atlanta have made an offer to Macon, its only right the home of the Master have a dog in this fight. 16 acres is more than enough room for this project. This will give Augusta that legit attraction downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 05:07 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
The city should follow the mayors lead. Build the condos, baseball stadium, retail, restaurants, commercial, etc on the site.

Senate passes Davis bill for the state to sell Hall of Fame land | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 03-26-2010, 05:21 PM

543 posts, read 1,316,941 times
Is that what downtown needs? Condos? What happened to WaterMark?

Downtown could just turn it into some greenspace and connect it to the riverwalk and commons.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,695,260 times
I say either (1) turn the entire space into a public park, like the Augusta Commons, and extend/join it to the Riverwalk, or (2) do away with ALL of the gardens and put in a mixed use development with commercial, apartments (more-so than condos) , etc.

The stadium idea is pretty good, and it would be nice to see it built, but getting it approved is a long shot, and I don't really think it's needed right now.

Last edited by EastsideDave; 03-26-2010 at 05:56 PM..

Old 03-26-2010, 05:54 PM

The downtown area can use more condos and apartments. The watermark fell through because the economy tanked. There is a growing market for new condos and apartments downtown.

Sibley Hull House, Levy House, and Stovall Barnes are now open in 2010.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/augus...wn-living.html

The Emporium is building condos (10-15) in 2010.
Flickr Photo Download: Feb28_016 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22130348@N06/4396262326/sizes/o/in/photostream/ - broken link)

The whites building is now sold to a Miami firm in 2010. That's about 60 more condos.
Miami firm now has stake in Augusta condo project | The Augusta Chronicle

There are loft/apartments under construction on 9th street btw the library and judicial center in 2010.
Flickr Photo Download: Feb28_011 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22130348@N06/4396259190/sizes/o/in/photostream/ - broken link)

The developer of Atlantic Station(Jim Jacoby) is on the mayors team. He thinks Augusta can support the multi-use stadium idea. The plan will more than likely have greenspace too.

Why only have greenspace? When you could have a baseball stadium, restaurants, greenspace, commercial, condos, retail, etc. The latter would bring ALOT more tax base.

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-26-2010 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-26-2010, 06:02 PM

I personally think that mid to upper scale apartments would do MUCH better downtown than condos would.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 PM

I think once the Tee Center starts construction in May. Then after the Hyatt, the parking garages, and the 3 story office/commerical building start construction in June. The downtown area will definitely need more condos and apartments. The Holiday Inn Express is supposed to break ground btw August and December. The new library opens in June.

Don't forget Clay Boardman is building Broad Mill Village. And he's renovating William Robinson school into residential. Both are right next to the Kroc Center construction going on.
Our Projects | Augusta Capital (http://www.augustacapital.net/common/content.asp?PAGE=347 - broken link)

That's alot of construction in the CBD and Harrisburg in 2010. After May 2010 downtown won't be the same again.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 PM

The problem with these projects is that the jobs that a few hotels is going to provide aren't going to the kind of people that will be buying $200-300K condos, the hotel is going to provide part time minimum wage jobs. William Robinson is in Summberville, not downtown, so that's out. Broad Mill Village is providing residential, so that takes away from a need for condos. I just believe that downtown would have an easier time supporting more apartments than condos, and I believe that the best use for the Gardens property would be from a mixed use development.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:10 PM

lol. I thought I listed the Martha Lester School. Instead of William Robinson. The martha lester school is right next to the Kroc Center. There is a gate surrounding the site. Broad Mill Village and Martha Lester school are going up beside the Kroc Center.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:44 AM

614 posts, read 1,101,440 times
I think that I have to go with the ballpark. I know that it's a longshot, but it would be great for the city. If the city is going to take a chance on building a convention center, why not a ballpark as well? We all know for a fact that the ballpark would bring people downtown. Also, though this is a weak point, most if not all of our peer cities have a ballpark downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area