Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:20 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,948 times

Advertisements

Didn't Dale Dribble do something like that with it leading to under Hank Hill's home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Didn't Dale Dribble do something like that with it leading to under Hank Hill's home?
Yes. And remember what happened? Hank's kitchen floor caved in.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Yes. And remember what happened? Hank's kitchen floor caved in.
Yep (as how Hank Hill would say "yep")!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:53 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,800 times
The problem is his excavation compromised other houses because of the expansive clays found in East Austin. His mining operation began to compromise other adjacent dwelling foundations. The depth of the excavation and the dimensions he went beyond the footings of the original dwelling could have compromised the street, water and sewer mains in the area. Filling the excavation will be expensive because it requires reinforcing steel (the guy dug 35 feet below grade) and the concrete needs to be pumped.

A lien has already been placed on the property. Is it right? I guess it depends on where you live. For me, no problem. If you live near him, his efforts could damage a lot of infrastructure and other homes.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:38 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,614 times
LOL...wow....my husband and I were WAY off base. We were quick to assume the ridiculous...."It must've caused such an uproar because he was planning to hide a body there....or hide other illegal activity..." LOLOL Someone please tell us to calm down.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
The problem is his excavation compromised other houses because of the expansive clays found in East Austin. His mining operation began to compromise other adjacent dwelling foundations. The depth of the excavation and the dimensions he went beyond the footings of the original dwelling could have compromised the street, water and sewer mains in the area. Filling the excavation will be expensive because it requires reinforcing steel (the guy dug 35 feet below grade) and the concrete needs to be pumped.

A lien has already been placed on the property. Is it right? I guess it depends on where you live. For me, no problem. If you live near him, his efforts could damage a lot of infrastructure and other homes.
The danger of this hole has been hugely exaggerated. As an architect I have taken enough structural engineering and soils classes to be able to say that it looks to me like the only structure that was at risk from the current configuration of the hole was his own. If he had continued to expand the entire excavation to a depth of 30' then it might possibly have threatened the adjacent structures.

Look at the diagram below. The majority of the excavation below his home was only about 10' deep. A much smaller area below that was about 20' deep and a very, very small shaft was about 30' deep.

If the sides of a hole 10' deep collapse, how could it possibly cause the earth to shift as much as 30'-35' away as was suggested in the newspaper. At most a small area of the neighbors driveway on the East might have settled.

You can look at this guy's yard in google maps street view and see the house sits roughly 35 feet away from the street. I find it highly unlikely that it endangered the street or utilities in it.

The price of the fill does seem absurdly high. What they pumped into the hole was not concrete, it is what is known as flowable fill, a wet mixture of sand and cement that is commonly used in the City for back filling utility trenches. It's big advantage is that it does not need to be compacted as the hardening of the cement takes care of that. There was NO reinforcing steel added to the fill in the hole, I don't know where you got that idea.

2006 Canterbury St, Austin, TX 78702 - Google Maps

http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/dynamic/00462/web0611CanterburyBu_462015c.jpg (broken link)

http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/dynamic/00462/web0611CanterburyBu_462015c.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You have to have a permit to dig a hole? What is this world coming to.

And if that is the only problem, why spend $61,000 (plus untold city costs to evaluate the situation) to fill a hole. Why not just issue the permit and fine him for not having a permit?

Good to know what we pay taxes on.....

Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
Does anyone know why he was digging this? Was it more living space, or something more obscure? Just curious.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Does anyone know why he was digging this? Was it more living space, or something more obscure? Just curious.
I don't want to make assumptions here, but when someone digs a multi level dungeon in their basement, and fills their house with firearms and grenades, I tend to think that they are either like that scary dude in Silence of the Lambs OR they are preparing for a revolution.

I think there is actually a mental disorder that afflicts people where they are sure society is on the brink of collapse and a new age of anarchy is going to replace it. So some people prep for that. I guess it's good to always be prepared.

I mean, it's one thing to have a first aid kit and clean fresh water and canned food available. It's another to build a subterranean kingdom so that you can rule benevolently over the morlocks.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I don't want to make assumptions here, but when someone digs a multi level dungeon in their basement, and fills their house with firearms and grenades, I tend to think that they are either like that scary dude in Silence of the Lambs OR they are preparing for a revolution.
OMG! I hadn't ever heard much about whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: