Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 PM

308 posts, read 1,467,810 times

Advertisements

My builder doesn't provide enough selections of granite color and texture at reasonable price. Even the choices of edge are limited to square or round. I just heard there are many outside stores who will have many selections and will install the countertop for you at a much better price than the builders.

I will mainly need 3 granite countertops, one with a cook-top and one with a double sink. For simplicity, I just replace the cooktop and sink with the granite, three of them will be 2604+700+3920.

Can anyone recommend a nice shop so that I can get an estimate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 AM

288 posts, read 811,710 times
Try Austin Stone Works at 1-35 and Howard Ln. I don't know how they'll come out pricewise VS your builder, but they'll certainly have the selection you're looking for.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Don't do it. Granite is the formica of the 1990s, and not nearly as interesting or versatile or cool as formica. Even HGTV is starting to turn. Why, for fifteen years or so, everyone in suburban U.S.A thought a material that mostly looked like congealed vomit in stone was cool, is going to be an interesting question for future architectural historians. Go with marble - always classic - quartz, concrete - ABG - anything but granite!

Last edited by homeinatx; 06-17-2010 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 AM

61 posts, read 173,105 times
This is a Great place to get your counter tops from. It is a very small shop in N Austin. I have use them on about 8 jobs now and never had one problem. They will send you to some Granite yards where you can pick out the slab you want and they will make up what ever you want. They also have the best prices in town. Tell them Duke sent you.
Toluca Granite: Austin's Best Granite Company

Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 AM

but it said marble is more difficult to maintain than granite, right? I guess it will be more expensive too, or the builders will use marble instead of granite in the kitchen and cultured marble in the bathroom.

most likely, I will just stay with current....
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Don't do it. Granite is the formica of the 1990s, and not nearly as interesting or versatile or cool as formica. Even HGTV is starting to turn. Why, for fifteen years or so, everyone in suburban U.S.A thought a material that mostly looked like congealed vomit in stone was cool, is going to be an interesting question for future architectural historians. Go with marble - always classic - quartz, concrete - ABG - anything but granite!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 AM

BJB817 and TexasHighDef,

Thank you two very much! I will put the information you provided on my little note and check the stores this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHighDef View Post
This is a Great place to get your counter tops from. It is a very small shop in N Austin. I have use them on about 8 jobs now and never had one problem. They will send you to some Granite yards where you can pick out the slab you want and they will make up what ever you want. They also have the best prices in town. Tell them Duke sent you.
Toluca Granite: Austin's Best Granite Company

Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Marble is harder to maintain, and can be damaged by acid. I think it is wise, though, to go with less flashy granite. More neutral, not huge color variation, and probably not black would seem to keep its value longer (just opinion - I have no research on this.)

Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.moefreidmarbleandgranite.com/html/FAQ.htm - broken link) - south off I-35 near Onion Creek

marble granite countertops Austin - Southwest Marble & Granite - NW off Jollyville

Tileworks, Flooring, Granite Countertops, kitchen countertops, Marble, Ceramic tile, Porcelain, tile, Austin TX - North Central on Metric

AG&M, Architectural, Granite & Marble, Austin, San Antonio, Oklahoma, Alabama, Nashville, Worldwide Sources, World-class Service - SW off Hwy 71

All of these companies have a place to go select your actual granite slab. Both times I've installed granite (a bath and kitchen), I went to the granite yard and selected the actual slab to be used. It's really nice knowing exactly what it's going to look like and not having to worry about getting a batch or lot that is different from the sample. I used Moe Fried through a contractor and Tileworks also - I got good price and service from both.

BTW- I LOVE my granite and it gets lots of compliments. If that's what you want, go for it, you won't regret it!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,261,211 times
Anyone have any experiences with any of the quartz products (e.g. Zodiaq)?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,074 times
[quote=trayanh;14654627...cultured marble in the bathroom.[/QUOTE]

Cultured marble is basically a plastic product, I'd personally avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin