Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:07 PM

87 posts, read 119,338 times

Advertisements

I'm looking relocate from Los Angeles to a college town. I've narrowed it down to Austin & Fayetteville, AR. I've read great things about both towns. Which is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 05:42 PM

106 posts, read 391,881 times
i've never been to fayetteville, but definitely don't let complaints of traffic dissuade you from austin. coming from l.a., the traffic here will seem like nothing. i think the people who complain of traffic are long time austinites who remember the city before it's huge growth...good luck though!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:08 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbob View Post
I'm looking relocate from Los Angeles to a college town. I've narrowed it down to Austin & Fayetteville, AR. I've read great things about both towns. Which is better?
Im not sure you can even compare. Fayetteville is a tiny college town (70K?) Austin has about 600K and a 1M metro area. Neither can compare to LA, but Austin is hands down better than fayetteville.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 PM

11 posts, read 59,280 times
Why is Austin "Hands down better?" Because it is bigger? Nuh uh. Dallas is bigger than Austin so I can tell you Dallas is "hands down better."

Seriously though, Austin is not really a "college town" anymore. It is a big city with a college. It is a college town the same way LA is a college town.

My folks live in Fayetteville. From LA to Austin will not be that big of a difference, but Fay is a real college town. It is 3 hours from KCMO and 5 hours from Dallas, the closest real cities.

You should visit Austin, hey visit both, but really you should ask yourself if you want to live in a big city or a college town.

As to the traffic issue in Austin-- it freaking sucks. I am from Dallas and used to big-city traffic but Austin is a joke. There are no real East-West freeways, no kinda "loop" and everything is 45 minutes from downtown. There is a 6-7 mile stretch of I35 that is bumper to bumper stop and go traffic 24/7. The good thing is that once you are downtown, there is really no reason to leave.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:31 AM

389 posts, read 1,631,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmaverick View Post
As to the traffic issue in Austin-- it freaking sucks. I am from Dallas and used to big-city traffic but Austin is a joke. There are no real East-West freeways, no kinda "loop" and everything is 45 minutes from downtown. There is a 6-7 mile stretch of I35 that is bumper to bumper stop and go traffic 24/7. The good thing is that once you are downtown, there is really no reason to leave.
Nothing is 45-minutes from downtown unless you are talking about driving to Johnson City, Lockhart, Georgetown, or New Braunfels.

If you live Central/Downtown, there is no place worth going to that you can't reach in 20 minutes (with the possible exception of Lake Travis and that is only an extra 10 minutes). The airport, shopping, parks, golf courses, restaurants, bars, sporting events, cultural venues, and most anything else that is worth getting to (i.e. not a starter home your friend chose to buy in Cedar Park or Elgin) is within a 20 minute drive of downtown.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:37 AM

9 posts, read 86,006 times
there is no comparison......Austin is the better, wiser choice of the two. For reasons such as money, living, education (if you have children) over-all social activities and the class of folks is a great deal different than ANYWHERE ELSE....I lived in Austin for 10 years and if I did not marry a man that enjoyed country life as much as I do, and had a child...I would still be there.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:22 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
I don't know, if "College Town" is the top priority on your list, Austin is probably too big for that. Places like Fayetteville, AR or Athens, GA fit the bill better these days.

Heck, even San Marcos is more like the traditional college town than Austin is now.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:49 PM

87 posts, read 321,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I don't know, if "College Town" is the top priority on your list, Austin is probably too big for that. Places like Fayetteville, AR or Athens, GA fit the bill better these days.

Heck, even San Marcos is more like the traditional college town than Austin is now.
Hmm. I don't know that everyone thinks small town when they're talking college towns. To me a college town is anyplace with a major university where the intellectual and cultural climate is stimulated and influenced by the high proportion of students. San Marcos is undoubtedly more of a "college town" in the sense of mere students-to-job holders ratio, but I don't think you could even compare the intellectual and cultural scene in San Marcos to that of someplace like Austin. If one is not a student his- or herself, I can't imagine any other criterion for wanting to pursue life in a college town per se.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:18 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,645 times
Quote:
I don't think you could even compare the intellectual and cultural scene in San Marcos to that of someplace like Austin. If one is not a student his- or herself, I can't imagine any other criterion for wanting to pursue life in a college town per se.
College towns usually have very stable economies - not so much the boom-and-bust cycle of cities that rely more heavily on the private sector.

Plus, anyone in San Marcos desiring the "intellectual and cultural scene" of Austin can be there in 30 minutes (or San Antonio in 45).

Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 AM

87 posts, read 119,338 times
So it sounds like Austin is no longer a college town much like Fayetteville, Ark. or Boulder, Co.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin