Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,013 times

Advertisements

I saw on another site that, although the sales tax is higher in Texas than some other states, it is a good place to buy a used RV. What do you think?
We are a retired English couple who love the USA, and we would like to buy a cheap RV and travel there for 6 months (or longer if allowed).
We would hope to sell it again before coming home, unless we can find cheap, secure storage.
BTW, we loved our road trip in Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldylocks View Post
I saw on another site that, although the sales tax is higher in Texas than some other states, it is a good place to buy a used RV. What do you think?
We are a retired English couple who love the USA, and we would like to buy a cheap RV and travel there for 6 months (or longer if allowed).
We would hope to sell it again before coming home, unless we can find cheap, secure storage.
BTW, we loved our road trip in Texas!
As opposed to other states? I don't see why Texas RV's would be superior in anyway to RV's from other states? Can you link the site you are taking about? That is blowing my mind.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
I think the rust factor is coming into play here since there is no "winter" here (as compared to the north) so that our motor vehicles from cars to RVs most of the time have no rust. I have seen some cars up north and you wonder what is holding them together! As to a better state to buy in you might look into Florida also not sure of the taxes though.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 8,013 times
Thanks for your replies. I presume what was meant is that used RV's are readily available in Texas at a good price.

It doesn't matter to us where we start our road trip or where we end it - we know some of the places we will want to revisit anyway (and Texas is one of them!)

We will start out anywhere we stand the best chance of buying a reliable (but cheapish) vehicle, and end up where we have the best chance of selling it on. I just wondered if anyone was 'in the know' regarding this type of plan?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I see a lot of RV's in the parks down along the coast in Rockport, Fulton, Port Aransas. But can't give you any specific's about them. I know TX has a lot of interesting state parks where you can stay in an RV.

You might look for an RV forum. Maybe this will help. recreational vehicles texas forum - Google Search

Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 AM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times
When DH and I were in the market for an RV, we relied heavily upon this forum:

RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

Also, I did a lot of camparison shopping in California, Arizona, Oregon and Nevada and ironically enough, I found that the biggest and most affordable used selection of RV's were in California. Alas, I know nothing about Texas RV's.

I would look on craigslist too. That is where we found our used RV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin