Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 18,898 times

Advertisements

Even though we've lived just an hour from Austin for almost 7 years, we have never been able to actually get there to party.

I know 6th street has alot of bars & clubs, however I also heard it's heavily populated with the college crowds.

I'm trying to find a good place to listen to live music, dance (but still be able to have conversation) and not be overwhelmed with college kids. Prefer something a little more upscale as we're planning on dressing up, however we still want to be able to really let loose and have a great time without the "meat market" vibe.

Any input would be great, we've heard about the warehouse district & have already been told about "speak easy" Just curious what others think.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 05:24 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,041,077 times
You just mentioned it...speakeasy, spaghetti warehouse...you named it..and a ton of college kids go to both those places as well..doesn't help that speakeasy has the coolest rooftop bar in Austin...the rooftop at speakeasy is like a frat party on campus most week-ends....sorry charlie, DT austin is for college kids..always was...always will be....not enough single 30 somethings to create a dynamic scene for the same...99% of em are very married in Austin, busy havin' babies..long past the "hangin' in bars" stage...

Old 09-05-2010, 06:13 PM

LOL... Thanks for the honestly, I'm thinking speakeasy it's gonna be. Hey, we may be a bit older, but we're still attractive & can party with the best of them.

I'm mainly just looking to avoid the constant movement, fights, ect, and don't want to spend all night finding a place we like.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,739,324 times
WHAT?!

It seems the home-bound crew rules this board!

There are plenty of over 30-somethings at the bars around DT. In fact, most of the people I encounter while down there are college graduates and in their 30s!! The "older people" may not know this, but TABC has really cracked down on the 6th Street bars and clubs that UT and Texas State undergrads would frequent with fake IDs. As a result, very few clubs (beyond the concert/live music venues) are 18+. The vast majority are now 21 and up only.

In addition of 6th Street proper, you'd probably like West 6th (between Guadalupe and Lamar) and West 4th (Congress to Guadalupe) more to your liking. But, if you're ready to let loose, you'll definitely have a good time on 6th Street, guaranteed!

Shame on you guys: you've been missing downtown Austin for no reason!!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:31 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,899,091 times
Yeah, I second the W Sixth Street area. The wife and I like the Belmont, and for a more casual beer & crowd of friends there is Opal Devines... but in general I wouldn't feel uncomfortable walking into any of the places along W 6th (west of Guadalupe). Not the college kid crowd. In fact, lots of people from the new condos hang out around that area, and none of them are still in school... some late 20s/30s but also an older mix.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Yes, I know we've been missing it... We've just never been able to get a sitter for the kids for overnight.

We're pretty excited to actually get to go out ALL night, get a room and have some real adult time.

We've actually started a bet to see how many times my wife gets hit on.. hahaha At least it's good for her ego

Old 09-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,382,091 times
I second the Belmont. There is also the Continental Club on South Congress.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:38 PM

I must have hit the wrong places, as I seem to run into UT kids everywhere I go in Austin....practically every festival, every bar, every everything! I'm sure part of it is UT has the highest enrollment in the US, I believe about 60K...notice they mention the same places..Belmont, CC,w 6th...same thing I was told, but I saw the kids at every place, including continental club on week-ends...depends on the day of the week as well..on week-ends, 6th street is barricaded fri and sat night, and you best believe kids are swarming everywhere...when they get out of the bars at closing it feels like the end of a madi gras baccanal! .....there simply is not a tremendous amount of single 30-somethings in austin...not sure if its the south and they get hitched earlier, or its the overabundance of males, but it is REALLY hard to find single women 30-something in town....sounds like you guys are just looking to party as a couple..thats far easier...I dont think there is even ONE club that is composed solely of older folks on weekends, though I might nominate the "Spoke" per the country theme....

I think you would feel comfortable as long as they aren't blasting that crappy stuff that they play(really loud) ala DJ's in the college and younger clubs....in that case...Antones has some really good acts, and all ages....CC does sometimes, though always has college kids on week-ends....Speakeasy has a little older crowd on the main floor, but pretty boring....on the outskirts, carlos and charlies is a blast on lake travis, and worth a drive....

Austin is not a city with a dynamic older-adult social scene like Chicago, NYC, DC, Boston, LA, SF, and such...very much a college city, and orientated towards the same, and older folks are FAR FAR more likely to be married in their 30's and up in Austin...the lack of a professional suit-and tie crowd DT, except for gotv't jobs, could explain it as well, as most cities with a dynamic older-30's social scene customarily have active bars frequented by the after-work crowd...no after work older crowd in Austin, as most jobs are spread all over the city...

Hope that answers your query a little better!

BTW, stay away from the sing-along piano lounge tourist traps on 6th...why spend time in a cheesy environment full of tourists?

Old 09-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Yes we're going out as a couple and will most likely have another couple with us.

Like I said, it's been a while since we've been out so we were going to do things right.. We've reserved a suite and have done a bit of shopping just for this coming weekend.

My wife has bought a nice, little dress to wear... I can only imagine that there will be ALL styles out there so would a nice dress (picture sexy little black dress) be too much?

I really don't care so much about blending in, yet dont really want to be a major stand out either

Old 09-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crshresq911 View Post
Thanks to everyone who has replied. Yes we're going out as a couple and will most likely have another couple with us.

Like I said, it's been a while since we've been out so we were going to do things right.. We've reserved a suite and have done a bit of shopping just for this coming weekend.

My wife has bought a nice, little dress to wear... I can only imagine that there will be ALL styles out there so would a nice dress (picture sexy little black dress) be too much?

I really don't care so much about blending in, yet dont really want to be a major stand out either
What did people do before FB and the web? They simply just went places and winged it..just have fun and go...I think you are trying to micromanage this week-end too much. You certainly don't need a guide to travel with you. Get a book/mag with clubs, or look at a website with clubs(Austin 360 has the best), and just go out there and have fun. Most of having fun is just going out and winging it...seems like we've forgotten to do that now...Facebook, CD, and all these other sites have us living our lives on-line, posting pictures that should really remain personal, and asking questions of total strangers that really should not be asked...

Best advice...do what they did pre-web, and have fun with the unknown..wing it...trip the light fantastic...and lets not rely so much on the web for advice and affirmation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: