Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM

36 posts, read 56,800 times

Advertisements

I am looking for suggestions for running clubs in the Austin area. I find some clubs in on-line searches but it is hard to distinguish which are super-serious (i.e. more intense training focus), versus those that are casual to semi-serious. I prefer a club not too intense, yet still has frequent group runs / group training and events as I simply do not enjoy running alone. Does such a club exist in Austin?

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,738,194 times
Rogue Running, I believe? They're located in East Austin proper ('defacto' downtown now) just east of I-35, off E. 5th & San Marcos Sts. by Progress Coffee.

I happened to be at Progress when they were having a group run. Not too serious, pretty social, alt. professional set. Happy trails!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 PM

499 posts, read 1,306,923 times
I've also heard great things about Rogue from a casual/semi-serious runner.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:11 PM

238 posts, read 365,252 times
Rouge is awesome. I've never officially trained with them but have done pub runs with them (super fun!). And should you decide to do serious training, they seem very encouraging.. Just in witnessing their support at the Austin Marathon last week.

There's also the Austin Running Club and various groups on
Meetup.com.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 AM

88 posts, read 228,832 times
My husband just did the marathon via Round Rock Fit, which is Austin Fit in the city. It met once a week (Sat am for a run and guest speakers) plus had hill training every once in awhile. You get your weekly running schedule that you do on your own.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM

36 posts, read 56,800 times
Thank you for the suggestions thus far. I have heard of Rogue and they have a fantastic reputation. At the same time, it is my understanding that they are a "training/event based" club where they help you develop a program and there are typically just a few training runs a week. And it is not cheap.

I don't necessarily want to train for anything, just find people to run with a few times a week. In my extensive work travel, I often visited cities and jumped in the local club's daily group run - some offering several daily runs depending on pace and distance, some sponsored by the club, some just organized by members on a message board.

Maybe in Austin, Meetup is a good place to start. But I'm still open to suggestions, if anyone knows of a club with daily group runs, or at least a couple per week without the "training for an event" focus.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,127,048 times
I understand what you mean about the differences in training groups. Some are very focused on competing but I think that there are a lot of groups that are interested in just having fun and cheap too.

The group that I run with at the twin lakes YMCA is very focused on the fun of running. It may be too far for you as we are in Cedar Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin