Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
Courses like Great Hills, Lost Creek, RiverPlace, and Onion Creek should all be $10,000 or less to join. They are all good courses but not quite on the level of the courses I mentioned in the earlier post.

As far as getting the most qulity course for the lowest initiation, I would submit the UT Golf Club in Steiner. I believe it is currently going for $25,000.
Great Hills is more, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,710 times
chek golf512.com for prices of some of the courses around town.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 26,025 times
I've been shopping around.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-I live in Central Austin so I need to be able to get to the club easily on the weekends.
-I have a young family so disposable income is an issue, I'm not as concerned with the initiation as much as the dues.
-I walk 75% of the time, carrying my bag.
-Looking for an active golf membership so I could find some buddies.

Here's my summary:

ACC: most convenient to my home, most expensive (80k/~600/mo), lots of members, slow golf. Great course and walkable. Equity membership (voting rights). I only have one sponsor and will have to work to find more. This would drain my kid's college fund.

UT Golf Club: Amazing golf, somewhat walkable, (35k (17.5 k refundable if the club is full and someone buys your place)/~400/mo), Wonderful facility, a little bit douchey, the same kind of people who would buy a 6000 sq ft house on a 7000 sq ft lot. 12 miles from the Randalls on the 2222 in-town. Non equity membership. My favorite course so far.

Onion Creek; I got a special from them where i just had to start paying dues ($275/month). I started playing with one of the members a few holes into my demo round and he said the conditions were poor and that he thought conditions at Greyrock were better. Walkable.

Great Hills: $6500k/~$340 month depending on the special. I liked the crew here, clubhouse was acceptable, in town location. The course sucks for golfers who like to walk 75% of the time. I won't be joining here but I wish I could b/c other than Hancock, it's the closest affordable option.

Lost Creek:$3000k/$348/month for golf. This is on special right now because the greens are being replaced. I enjoyed the golf course, it's completely walkable. Some complain that it's a little short but I enjoyed the strategy on some of the holes. The clubhouse is disgusting and should be blown up. They nickel and dime you for everything other than golf. There's a huge swimming area that wasn't as gross as the clubhouse. Summary, close to town, walkable, not too expensive. I'll probably sign up here.

Barton Creek:Not for me, it's $600/month which we decided was too much. I could walk this course and would enjoy being a member here. I played the Canyon course, it's great. It's $50,000 non refundable initiation (OUCH for AUSTIN).

River Place:$6500 initiation/~$350/month. This couse isn't for me, Billy Goats only. The people who decided to put a golf course on this property should be shot in the public square. One of the most annoying place I've ever played except for Ramrock. I met a guy during my trial round who said he walked the course for his excercise, it's mountain climbing. Even with a cart, I think I'd get motion sickness driving around here. Pros, very close to town if you live on the north side of central Austin and want to take a cart when you play.

Grey Rock- Nice course, too far out of town for me. Daily fee, no need to join.

Based on my experience, I'd like to join UT Golf Club, but will probably end up at Lost Creek b/c it's more affordable and closer to my house. Down the road, I could see joining UT golf club.

I didn't play Spanish Oaks or The Hills which I should just to cover all of my bases.

Lottery Option:If I won the lottery, I'd like to play the currently bankrupt Spanish Oaks. I'd join Barton Creek, ACC, and UT for sure. They're wonderful facilities and are priced accordingly.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,756 times
How much was it per round at Great Hills after the dues?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:59 PM

54 posts, read 173,042 times
How's the culture at BC? Does it operate like a club or like a hotel with golf courses? I like ACC but the one course thing seems so limited vs 4 courses. I also love the facilities at BC but I hate the hotel thing. Do the members really get to know each other?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 PM

99 posts, read 180,979 times
Default BC back in the day.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbubble View Post
How's the culture at BC? Does it operate like a club or like a hotel with golf courses? I like ACC but the one course thing seems so limited vs 4 courses. I also love the facilities at BC but I hate the hotel thing. Do the members really get to know each other?
The members were always great to us as employees. Those folks do have tons of money. I worked at BC many moons ago while I was attending college. BC operates in both capacities. Guests can stay and play. The member have their own course or maybe courses now. BC added a new course a while back. The members club house is up near the Fazio course. Non-members can play the Fazio with a member. The hotel and non-members play the other courses, the Crenshaw and Lakeside. Both great options. We could play the Crenshaw and Lakeside as employees. Both of them for the cart fee. That proshop is down near the hotel main enterance.
I don't know anything about the newest course, the Canyon.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Don't know a thing about golf, but Great Hills has a golf course.
Great hills is either a 4000 fee or 6500 if you get a stockholder membership (3500 stock, 3000 fee)

around 350/month

Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
How much was it per round at Great Hills after the dues?
rounds are included in the cost, a cart is $17 for 18 holes close to half that for 9. Some people walk the front 9 and then use a cart for the back 9 (or something like that)

$60 for guests.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 PM

54 posts, read 173,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
The members were always great to us as employees. Those folks do have tons of money. I worked at BC many moons ago while I was attending college. BC operates in both capacities. Guests can stay and play. The member have their own course or maybe courses now. BC added a new course a while back. The members club house is up near the Fazio course. Non-members can play the Fazio with a member. The hotel and non-members play the other courses, the Crenshaw and Lakeside. Both great options. We could play the Crenshaw and Lakeside as employees. Both of them for the cart fee. That proshop is down near the hotel main enterance.
I don't know anything about the newest course, the Canyon.

Thanks Muzzle. Any members out there? Former members?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinop View Post
I've been shopping around.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-I live in Central Austin so I need to be able to get to the club easily on the weekends.
-I have a young family so disposable income is an issue, I'm not as concerned with the initiation as much as the dues.
-I walk 75% of the time, carrying my bag.
-Looking for an active golf membership so I could find some buddies.

Here's my summary:

ACC: most convenient to my home, most expensive (80k/~600/mo), lots of members, slow golf. Great course and walkable. Equity membership (voting rights). I only have one sponsor and will have to work to find more. This would drain my kid's college fund.

UT Golf Club: Amazing golf, somewhat walkable, (35k (17.5 k refundable if the club is full and someone buys your place)/~400/mo), Wonderful facility, a little bit douchey, the same kind of people who would buy a 6000 sq ft house on a 7000 sq ft lot. 12 miles from the Randalls on the 2222 in-town. Non equity membership. My favorite course so far.

Onion Creek; I got a special from them where i just had to start paying dues ($275/month). I started playing with one of the members a few holes into my demo round and he said the conditions were poor and that he thought conditions at Greyrock were better. Walkable.

Great Hills: $6500k/~$340 month depending on the special. I liked the crew here, clubhouse was acceptable, in town location. The course sucks for golfers who like to walk 75% of the time. I won't be joining here but I wish I could b/c other than Hancock, it's the closest affordable option.

Lost Creek:$3000k/$348/month for golf. This is on special right now because the greens are being replaced. I enjoyed the golf course, it's completely walkable. Some complain that it's a little short but I enjoyed the strategy on some of the holes. The clubhouse is disgusting and should be blown up. They nickel and dime you for everything other than golf. There's a huge swimming area that wasn't as gross as the clubhouse. Summary, close to town, walkable, not too expensive. I'll probably sign up here.

Barton Creek:Not for me, it's $600/month which we decided was too much. I could walk this course and would enjoy being a member here. I played the Canyon course, it's great. It's $50,000 non refundable initiation (OUCH for AUSTIN).

River Place:$6500 initiation/~$350/month. This couse isn't for me, Billy Goats only. The people who decided to put a golf course on this property should be shot in the public square. One of the most annoying place I've ever played except for Ramrock. I met a guy during my trial round who said he walked the course for his excercise, it's mountain climbing. Even with a cart, I think I'd get motion sickness driving around here. Pros, very close to town if you live on the north side of central Austin and want to take a cart when you play.

Grey Rock- Nice course, too far out of town for me. Daily fee, no need to join.

Based on my experience, I'd like to join UT Golf Club, but will probably end up at Lost Creek b/c it's more affordable and closer to my house. Down the road, I could see joining UT golf club.

I didn't play Spanish Oaks or The Hills which I should just to cover all of my bases.

Lottery Option:If I won the lottery, I'd like to play the currently bankrupt Spanish Oaks. I'd join Barton Creek, ACC, and UT for sure. They're wonderful facilities and are priced accordingly.
This is a great post.

I hope dinop posts again. Snarky, informative & funny as h*ll.

River Place is for mountain goats, UT Steiner members kind of "douchy", & blow up the common facilities at Lost Creek. Funny takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin