Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:47 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times

Advertisements

I think the reason that counties don't have much control over development is because cities WANT those areas to be developed. Once they are, they can annex them and get all the tax revenue. Basically cities get the money without haven't to do any work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
I'll chime in and say I live in Oak Hill and I'm a single mom of a 4 year old. I find that I spend so much time in the car going back and forth into Austin for so many activities that it only makes sense for me to move more central. When moving here I wanted more house for my money and to pay less taxes, but I found we were out and about and not hanging out at our big house with our big yard so much. It feels a little isolated out here and away from the families we've met. When I move intown, we'll be much closer to friends -- and perhaps I would have met Circle C families and not felt that way but for whatever reason, the people that I've befriended live more centrally.

So sometimes, crunching the numbers isn't the only factor to consider.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
I think the reason that counties don't have much control over development is because cities WANT those areas to be developed. Once they are, they can annex them and get all the tax revenue. Basically cities get the money without haven't to do any work.
It is a state thing - less government, etc. The city (whatever city that happens to be) often assumes a large amount of financial liability when annexing an area. Water, waste, and road systems usually have to be upgraded.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:10 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
So sometimes, crunching the numbers isn't the only factor to consider.

Agreed. But, not everyone has the luxury to consider something other than the numbers.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Agreed. But, not everyone has the luxury to consider something other than the numbers.
Sure they do. It just depends on what quality of life they want to have. If they want to live in the burbs and have that marble countertop in their big house or if they want something kinda small and dumpy with formica intown. (I'm sure I'll end up with formica and around 1200 sq ft and I'm okay with that. )

I'm not in the $400-500K range so perhaps that's what you're referencing though?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,308 times
I certainly hope that 400k is not the "new norm" as some have mentioned here. Again I suppose its all about perspective. To me a un-updated 1970's or 80's boring ole' suburban rancher or single story house with formica countertops, a garage and 30 minute proximity to the city with an affordable price tag ( $150,000-$200,00) sounds fantastic. That exact same boring house in probably even worse shape is $600,000 here.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Hmmm, we live in the city limits, but also the burbs, depending on how you define it (Villages of Western Oaks area). We have a 10 y/o house with about 2,400 sq. ft. that would probably sell from 260-280k if we put it on the market today. I think the house is quite luxurious, based on my history of dwellings . Walkable to several restaurants and other commercial establishments (as well as the elementary and the middle school) and not too bad to get into downtown. Honestly, if and when we do go 'downtown' or central Austin it is off-hours for traffic (evenings/weekends) and it takes 15 minutes or so, depending on exactly where you are going.

Similar, but opposite to, Atlanta Hope, most of our friends are on the periphery, although all four 'corners', so it is a bit of work to get up to the NE ones. The NW is quick up MoPac (off hours) and the in-laws, grandparents, and extended family is all west, SW, or south. In any case, I would be more discomfited by living downtown - longer commute, further from the bulk of our friends (albeit closer to some), higher housing/tax cost (most likely).

Rambling, but we are a dual-income-doing-okay family and could 'afford' to live somewhere for quite a bit more, but as mentioned, saving up for the kids college, retirement, etc. pretty much trumps the higher taxes for a more expensive property - wherever that might be - and I personally think that 400-500k is getting a bit excessive to call the new 'cheap'.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,824 times
Again, I don't believe it is the new cheap most places, and you certainly can get a house cheaper in Austin. I'm amazed at the crazy amount of multi-million dollar homes in your area, to be quite honest. I didn't realize there were THAT many rich folks living there! Seriously, whatever they do, sign me up.

I still believe that the reason you are seeing the postings which make you think that that is the "new cheap" is because you likely have people relocating from high cost areas who have that kind of money to spend and are just thrilled that moving somewhere else will get them an actual house for that money.

An interesting personal aside - a friend of mine from college who lives in TN really had NO IDEA that there really is nowhere within a reasonable commute of DC that you could buy a house for less than $300K. He was in his little bubble thinking "well, if you just move a little way away from the city, I'm sure you can purchase something for much less and just commute" Sorry, no dice. If you want to move to WV and commute 2 hours each way starting at 4 am, OK, but who wants THAT?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,308 times
Quote:
An interesting personal aside - a friend of mine from college who lives in TN really had NO IDEA that there really is nowhere within a reasonable commute of DC that you could buy a house for less than $300K. He was in his little bubble thinking "well, if you just move a little way away from the city, I'm sure you can purchase something for much less and just commute" Sorry, no dice. If you want to move to WV and commute 2 hours each way starting at 4 am, OK, but who wants THAT?
That was my experience when I moved first to the Northeast and later California: The coasts are a totally different ballgame. The cost of living in these places was initially shocking to me. Almost all of the friends I had who stayed in TN are for all practical purposes doing better than I am: They own nice houses and lead regular middle class lives. Most never even thought about it: You get married and buy a house. That is certainly not the case in the places I've lived so far.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
[quote=atlanta hope;16900493]Sure they do. quote]

Not to be argumentative but no, some people do not have the luxury of considering anything other than how much it's going to cost.

I'm not sure how to consider otherwise but I'm open to your explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin