Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,233 times

Advertisements

During my move, I had some issues with the moving company. When taking out my refrigerator, there was a slight water drip from the plumbing where the ice maker had been hooked up. When I asked the guy to tighten it, he was having problems getting it turned off and then turned it the wrong way and it came off the wall and started spewing water all over my kitchen island, over the kitchen sink and started flooding the floors around it. I ran over to a neighbor's house to see if they could help turn off the water main. He was able to turn it off thankfully. Meanwhile my kitchen, dining room and living room (thankfully tile) floors were covered in water. The movers used my wet-dry vac while I mopped and then they borrowed the neighbors. I don't get any apology, just attitude about how they were trying to help me out and they've never seen this happen before and now he's wet and cold and can get pnuemonia, as he's prone to do. Meanwhile, I haven't said anything accusatory or mean -- I just want them to finish packing the garage and get my stuff moved and we're behind at this point. I had even bought them lunch before the water drama.

So they hurriedly leave (and leave some things still in the garage and front yard) -- as I'm locking up, I notice part of the formica countertop is damaged. An edge by the refrigerator is missing and had left exposed wood showing. I take a photo with my iphone to show them when I meet up with them later at the new place.

At my new place, they unload my stuff. Shove my washer and dryer in a small cramped space, scratching it up a little. At the end, I thank them and then ask them what they can do about the formica and scratches. The guy almost had a melt down. He had some goof off that he wiped on the washer and that seemed to take care of most of the scratches. Fine.

As far as the formica goes, he meets me at the house to see the damage.
(And luckily for me, the tile floors were fine the next day, just really dirty with muddy footprints.) He removed the whole edge to take somewhere to see if he can match it. I tell him if he can't, maybe if he paints it nicely that it'll suffice. So I leave the key for him and don't hear back. The next day I return to the house to see a crappy paint job done. I've emailed him and called him but to no avail. I'm not sure what to do now. I paid him with a credit card. I don't want to cancel payment but at the same time I want him to make it right with the formica. Any advice?

Thanks for reading this... and any advice.

BTW, this is a highly reviewed local company here in Austin. I'm waiting to see how it shakes out before I post my Yelp review.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 12:50 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,686,859 times
Ahh...the fun of moving . Assuming that this is just a moving crew (and maybe crew chief of some sort) that you are dealing with, I would run it up the ladder a bit. This doesn't seem like an expensive fix (especially if you are amenable to painting!), so I would think that someone with a little more stock in the reputation of the company would help take care of it.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:09 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,452,483 times
Stop dealing with the actual movers and contact the company itself. They usually have procedures in place to handle these things.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:13 PM

22 posts, read 49,879 times
If it's a bonded/insured company, which it sounds to be, they have to fix it to your satisfaction, no question, and pay for anything they've damaged. Also, log in under about 100 different names at yahoo, google, etc., and write terrible reviews for them !

Old 12-28-2010, 08:52 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,008,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muti6000 View Post
. Also, log in under about 100 different names at yahoo, google, etc., and write terrible reviews for them !

That is a terrible suggestion! If, at the end, you are not satisfied then go ahead, write your review. Entering "terrible reviews" to get revenge or to vent your anger is dirty pool.

Many people now cannot trust the "reviews" because of people actually doing what you suggest.

Maybe you have your own "review" company that wants us to pay for the reviews eh?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM

64 posts, read 104,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
That is a terrible suggestion! If, at the end, you are not satisfied then go ahead, write your review. Entering "terrible reviews" to get revenge or to vent your anger is dirty pool.

Many people now cannot trust the "reviews" because of people actually doing what you suggest.
Agreed. All that accomplishes is lowering yourself to the level of the apes that did the move & damaged the property. Give the company-owners a chance to make it right before going off on ‘em.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,233 times
The owner WAS the mover. So no going up the ladder on this one. He's a member of the BBB so I might file a complaint there if I don't get a response from him in the next day or so. And he is bonded/insured. I don't know why he's acting so unprofessional about things. Surely in 8 years of his business, he's faced issues before. I guess that's a good thing to think about in the future when looking at movers... ask them what is the worst experience they've had and how did they handle it.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,097,739 times
...probably the same movers we used. LOL We had drama on top of drama, but we just swallowed the loss and moved on.

In retrospect, I think I would have pushed the issue. File a dispute with your cc company. They will investigate the situation and proceed accordingly.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,124,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
The owner WAS the mover. So no going up the ladder on this one. He's a member of the BBB so I might file a complaint there if I don't get a response from him in the next day or so. And he is bonded/insured. I don't know why he's acting so unprofessional about things. Surely in 8 years of his business, he's faced issues before. I guess that's a good thing to think about in the future when looking at movers... ask them what is the worst experience they've had and how did they handle it.
If he is bonded you should be able to file a claim against his bonding company.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 PM

370 posts, read 1,000,303 times
Reminds me once when Sears came to install a brand new Washer Dryer

The guy didn't check to see if the valve shut the water off, disconnected
the hose, and water was gushing out. It was to hard to put the hose back on with the water gushing.
And neither of us could find the main...

The guy panic'd and left ???

I get a call from Sears, from some kid, that wants to sound like a lawyer wanna be
telling me, it's not the installers fault, this right when I'm still mopping and wet vaccing ???

Long story short, everything dried, and I didn't have damage.

Sears called me again, and said if I wanted to file a claim, they would have
to come out, view the damage, and they would make the decision if a claim was warranted.
WRONG ! I would have put them in small court whether they approved it or not.

Long story short, at least your guy is making an attempt.
If not suitable, have it repaired by a professional, and send them the receipt to
give them a chance to make good. they are probably insured.
If they don't ... small claims court, simple and easy

OR ... write it off to the cost of moving.
I move a lot, something always gets dinged

But I remember the panic of trying to find the main myself :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: