Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:27 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,360 times

Advertisements

Our family loves college football. Just wondering how hard it is to get tickets to a UT football game? If not, what is the best way to go about getting them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 05:37 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I think it depends on the game. A lot of people hold season tickets, but I've heard that so many people hold season tickets that you either have to wait for someone who no longer wants them, to give them up. (My BIL is a season ticket holder and we have a friend who is an alumnus so that's how he has his.) Just make sure you try and get ahold of them well in advance of the game you want, because they sell out fast.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:52 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,360 times
Holy moly, those tickets are expensive! I checked on a website after my original post, the cheapest was like $100, upper deck. Heck, I could go to a Titans games and 2 Vanderbilt games for that price!!!! I guess it is all in the demand! (The other UT- Tennessee, was a lot like that, you had to know someone to get tickets, just buying was not an option!)

Old 07-15-2007, 08:45 PM

Check with some of your neighbors. A lot of times people hold season tickets, but can't attend all the games or only want to go to some of them, and they may know someone who would sell you some for a good price. Craigslist may even have some, or even look in the classified section of the paper under tickets. Lots of people try to sell tickets to games they can't use.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:02 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
That's a good suggestion.. check with neighbors / coworkers. Lots of the season tickets are held by alums right here in town, and I'll bet there are games they can't go to.. but they still have to buy the tickets to keep the seat. So some will be available.

To get season tickets, you have to make a donation... it varies how much will "get you in" each year, but if you donate that level you will get seats. You then have to continue donating that amount, and buy the tickets each year, in order to keep your spot.

Not this season, but in 2008, they will be opening the new north endzone seating (capacity increase). That might be a good opportunity to get season tickets. I wish I had done so when they opened the East side upper deck -- that was a good time to get in.

One other thing -- With the weather here, if you are flexible on game day just go out to one of the huge free tailgates. They always have TVs to watch the game, some have free food and beer (donation suggested.) Many people watch the game from the tailgates, and you can hear the crowd and Ol Smokey. Depending on the game, you might find tickets for sale around there, too. Google Longhorn message boards, and you should find some (check a few links down). Or PM me and I'll give you the link to my favorite.

Last edited by atxcio; 07-16-2007 at 12:11 AM..

Old 07-16-2007, 02:26 AM

106 posts, read 476,206 times
I've been to a couple of UT games and I've also attended some tailgate parties and frankly (ohhhh this is so gonna get me introuble... LOL!)... I prefer the tailgate parties.

The food's better, you're able to pee w/out standing on line (potty parity hasn't hit the UT stadium... LOL!), instant replay is very handy for settling disputes and you can choose who you're sitting next to.

As for getting tickets on your own... if you can get a season ticket, you might consider splitting it w/ a friend to help defray the cost. Of course, if they make it to another Bowl series, you might have to pinkie wrestle your friend to the death to make sure YOU get to go. LOL!

To get season tickets, you might have to be a bit more devious... ummm, I mean ingenious. You could consider bumping off several alum's who have season tickets... or marry an alum for their legacy rights... enroll at UT yourself, or have a child and enroll them when they're 3-yo.

Kidding! (mostly...)

TX Griff

Old 07-16-2007, 02:28 AM

106 posts, read 476,206 times
Oh... another thought.

I've seen tickets available the week of (and even the DAY of) a particular game on the Austin Craig's List: craigslist: austin classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

TX Griff

Old 07-16-2007, 06:59 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
This season should be more difficult than usual to get tickets, although a weak home schedule might help availability. Since the North end zone is under construction, those season ticket holders were moved to other areas including the South end zone for just this year. People like me with the lowest priority season tickets in the South end zone were not renewed for this year. We will regain our eligibility next year when the North end zone is finished. That just means less seats because of the North end zone construction and some season ticket holders from last year will now need to buy single game tickets.

A lot of the tickets that you'll see for sale cheap on Craigslist are student/faculty/staff tickets that require you to show your UT ID at the gate. These tickets will normally say "LASP" on the side of the ticket.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,009 times
Smile UT Tickets for a soldier

Okay, so yes, I've done my research and have seen how it is pretty much impossible to get UT game tickets. But here's the thing, my brother is coming home from serving in the Air Force in Iraq in October/November and I really, really want to take him to a game. Does anybody know someone I could possibly buy 3-5 somewhat decent tickets from that won't force me to take out a loan? He's really excited at the idea of going and I really don't want to dissapoint him. Any ideas?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:32 PM

My BIL is a season ticket holder. I'll ask him if he has any tickets he doesn't want to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin