Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We don't know how many of those 29% are illegal aliens because the City of Austin and AISD refuse to ask for documentation.

How's that "sanctuary city" working out for y'all?

Not to mention Ann Richards' lovely Robin Hood plan of 1993 that steals many millions from AISD taxpayers to be spent somewhere in the Valley for more "undocumented" reasons.
It is not reasonable to blame Ann Richards for the Robin Hood plan. The Texas Supreme Court ruled in 1989 that Texas' school finance program was unconstitutional. Several legislative plans to address the problems were also ruled unconstitutional until finally the Robin Hood plan was passed in 1993.

In 2006 though - the plan that has been in place for some was also ruled unconstitutional because it was judged a state property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post

Do you have any proof of this?
Yes. From Wikipedia"
During 2007, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reviewed 29 reports published over 15 years on the impact of unauthorized immigrants on the budgets of state and local governments. While cautioning that the reports are not a suitable basis for developing an aggregate national effect across all states, they concluded that:[3]
  • State and local governments incur costs for providing services to unauthorized immigrants and have limited options for avoiding or minimizing those costs;
  • The amount that state and local governments spend on services for unauthorized immigrants represents a small percentage of the total amount spent by those governments to provide such services to residents in their jurisdictions;
  • The tax revenues that unauthorized immigrants generate for state and local governments do not offset the total cost of services provided to those immigrants, although the impact is most likely modest; and
  • Federal aid programs offer resources to state and local governments that provide services to unauthorized immigrants, but those funds do not fully cover the costs incurred by those governments.
Professor of Law Francine Lipman [4] writes that the belief that illegal migrants are exploiting the US economy and that they cost more in services than they contribute to the economy is "undeniably false". Lipman asserts that "undocumented immigrants actually contribute more to public coffers in taxes than they cost in social services" and "contribute to the U.S. economy through their investments and consumption of goods and services; filling of millions of essential worker positions resulting in subsidiary job creation, increased productivity and lower costs of goods and services; and unrequited contributions to Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance programs."[5]

From Newsweek (and remember, the impact on a individual states can be negative but the overall impact on the economy of the whole nation is a small net positive) Why Americans Think Immigration Hurts the Economy - Newsweek

Illegal immigration is good for you | TheLoop21.com (http://theloop21.com/politics/illegal-immigration-good-for-you - broken link)
More Illegal Immigration Means More Jobs – Josh Dowlut – Baltimore Sun

I don't have time to hunt up the original data sources for much of the above, but they are out there.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes. From Wikipedia"
During 2007, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reviewed 29 reports published over 15 years on the impact of unauthorized immigrants on the budgets of state and local governments. While cautioning that the reports are not a suitable basis for developing an aggregate national effect across all states, they concluded that:[3]
  • State and local governments incur costs for providing services to unauthorized immigrants and have limited options for avoiding or minimizing those costs;
  • The amount that state and local governments spend on services for unauthorized immigrants represents a small percentage of the total amount spent by those governments to provide such services to residents in their jurisdictions;
  • The tax revenues that unauthorized immigrants generate for state and local governments do not offset the total cost of services provided to those immigrants, although the impact is most likely modest; and
  • Federal aid programs offer resources to state and local governments that provide services to unauthorized immigrants, but those funds do not fully cover the costs incurred by those governments.
Professor of Law Francine Lipman [4] writes that the belief that illegal migrants are exploiting the US economy and that they cost more in services than they contribute to the economy is "undeniably false". Lipman asserts that "undocumented immigrants actually contribute more to public coffers in taxes than they cost in social services" and "contribute to the U.S. economy through their investments and consumption of goods and services; filling of millions of essential worker positions resulting in subsidiary job creation, increased productivity and lower costs of goods and services; and unrequited contributions to Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance programs."[5]

From Newsweek (and remember, the impact on a individual states can be negative but the overall impact on the economy of the whole nation is a small net positive) Why Americans Think Immigration Hurts the Economy - Newsweek

Illegal immigration is good for you | TheLoop21.com (http://theloop21.com/politics/illegal-immigration-good-for-you - broken link)
More Illegal Immigration Means More Jobs – Josh Dowlut – Baltimore Sun

I don't have time to hunt up the original data sources for much of the above, but they are out there.

What I bolded above certainly doesn't help your case.

I read each of these sources with an open mind but I have to say they are poor examples to back up your claims. Each article is heavily slanted and offers 99% opinion.

I almost had to stop reading this article when I got to the quote below but I persevered and read on till the end.

Quote:
Contra the claims of conservatives like Arizona Governor Jan Brewer, there is little evidence that immigrants -- legal or otherwise -- increase crime.
That "otherwise" or "illegal" immigration = not legal or a crime. Any illegal immigrant who is paying into federal taxes must have also committed other crimes to acquire forged or stolen identification or documentation.

Last edited by sinking; 01-26-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
What I bolded above certainly doesn't help your case.

I read each of these sources with an open mind but I have to say they are poor examples to back up your claims. Each article is heavily slanted and offers 99% opinion.

I almost had to stop reading this article when I got to the quote below but I persevered and read on till the end.

That "otherwise" or "illegal" immigration = not legal or a crime. Any illegal immigrant who is paying into federal taxes must have also committed other crimes to acquire forged or stolen identification or documentation.
Kudos to you for actually reading the links and evaluating the sources. I think the level of discourse on these threads would increase dramatically if other posters were willing to take the time to do the same.

I don't necessarily agree with your conclusion about not letting illegal immigrants' children attend schools, but that is neither here nor there.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM

As I said, I don't have time today to dig up the actual data, I agree that most of the sources above are primarily opinion pieces, but there MANY economic analysis and academic studies and CBO reports that make the same point, overall, to the economy as a whole immigrants, including illegal immigrants are a net positive.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
For the costs of educating children of illegal immigrants: FAIR: Breaking the Piggy Bank: How Illegal Immigration is Sending Schools Into the Red (Updated 2005) (http://www.fairus.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=17193&security=1601&news _iv_ctrl=1901 - broken link)

I don't dispute that the economic benefits of illegal immigrants to the US exist....but what about the benefits to illegal immigrants? They are expolited, abused and very often treated unfairly. They don't pay into social security (usually), so they are cheated out of those benefits. I believe in upholding the law...and I question -again- why it's ok for AISD to enforce residency boundaries but not citizenship boundaries? AISD should follow US immigration law.

I refuse to enter the straw man argument of 6 year old children being left home alone.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:04 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,420 times
Another thing those articles on the economic effects of illegal immigration didn't really mention is that even in the writers views that it is not detrimental to the economy they are taking into an account the entire nation. There are many areas in the country that are barely effected by illegal immigrants, if at all. Then there are other areas (AUSTIN) that will have a much higher effect. Since this thread is about AISD's money troubles it would make sense to be concerned with how much illegal immigration is in Austin.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 PM

I agree that it is best to try to move the topic back towards Austin but for those interested, here is the Congressional Budget's Office 2007 report, the link takes to the CBO director's blog which links the full report.
Director's Blog » Blog Archive » Immigration and state/local budgets

Overall economy, small net positive result, local and government often incur a "modest negative result" but minor in terms of inflows and outflows. In a pure cost terms, education for all probably is a huge positive for local economy since dollars do not have to be spend on policing, jail, even detention and deportation incurs a cost. Want to end illegal immigration, push for changes in agricultural policy in the US and Mexico.

Regarding AISD, the amount of illegal immigration is something of a non-starter, there will be no policy change at the district level and no mechanism for enforcement.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
push for changes in agricultural policy in the US and Mexico.
Agriculture jobs really are jobs no Americans want. In '98, California ran a campaign to advertise farm jobs to the unemployed and welfare recipients. Statewide, 3 people applied.

Just this year, United Farm Workers launched the "Take Our Jobs" campaign to see if any needy Americans would sign up to be farm workers. Not surprisingly, there's nearly zero interest.

You can apply here...

Take Our Jobs

Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Agriculture jobs really are jobs no Americans want. In '98, California ran a campaign to advertise farm jobs to the unemployed and welfare recipients. Statewide, 3 people applied.

Just this year, United Farm Workers launched the "Take Our Jobs" campaign to see if any needy Americans would sign up to be farm workers. Not surprisingly, there's nearly zero interest.

You can apply here...

Take Our Jobs
You wanna see those jobs taken? Then cut unemployment benefits. Pretty freaking simple. 2 years unemployed and people pleading for another two years of benefits? That's not "helping someone get back on their feet", that's a structural problem that benefits can't fix.

If unemployed people weren't allowed to vote, benefits would be cut tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin