Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,822 times

Advertisements

About the whole long lines at the checkout thing. I do wish that "let me tell you my life story" attitude would translate to driving. I love the easy going vibe but it seems to find no place on the freeways.

Last Sunday I found myself exiting Mopac and turning left but there were bicyclists in front of me. They were turning, too, coming from a frontage road but there was no bike lane. I had to go their speed. The guy behind me in the massive truck (I have a truck, but his was bigger) couldn't wait to get around me. He peeled out (melted rubber smell is so yucky) the second he could get around me.

No, the guy didn't have Calif license plates.

Then there was the girl on the cell phone when we were driving south during rush hour. As soon as someone tried to get in front of her, she sped up only to slow down again when said someone went back in their lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,693 times
Speaking of massive trucks - another observation is that it seems almost all the truck companies produce a Texas (and a a Texas sized) version of their pickups for sale here. I haven't seen that before, but I guess it's a decent marketing segmentation strategy on their part.

Good post about the recycling - our Waste Management office in WA sent a few direct mail pieces through out the year (on recycled paper of course) covering their state of the art recycling processes and how much money and landfill space they were saving - In Seattle we threw glass, plastic, aluminum, paper, cardboard into a huge bin and they sorted it all out at their magic factory.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:38 PM

277 posts, read 1,299,055 times
great thread Ganks.

Too many panhandlers?! I'm guessing you were an eastside resident while here in the PNW. There are PLENTY of panhandlers in downtown Seattle.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:56 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,571 times
The panhandlers are nuts here, going all the way up to exit 252 in Round Rock.
It's sick actually.

I'm in Travis and the recycling seems decent.
It's better than Atlanta. I swear I got completely disenchanted after diligently separating my recyclables and watching the garbage truck pull up (on multiplle occassions) and dump the regular trash and recycle bin into the same truck load.

At least Austin is not pretending to recycle.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GANKS View Post
Speaking of massive trucks - another observation is that it seems almost all the truck companies produce a Texas (and a a Texas sized) version of their pickups for sale here. I haven't seen that before, but I guess it's a decent marketing segmentation strategy on their part.
You don't seem like the type who watches a lot of TV. So you might not have seen the TV ads that tend to emphasize the masculine side of vehicles in this state. "...It's bigger in Texas, It's better in a Dodge!" Someday you will hear that country-rock jingle and it will get stuck in your head. In fact, I am cursing you right now, it will get stuck in your head for all eternity!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
GAH!

Hush, Harvester, you just ruined my day! .

Most truck (and many car) companies tailor their ads for Texas as a market area. I suppose the same happens for specific products in CA, NY, and FL, where the population density makes it cost effective.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:25 AM

347 posts, read 1,567,540 times
We have those hideous huge trucks here in Utah too. I see them a lot more here than I did when I was in Texas (also see more Wranglers and hear more country music). Maybe it depend where you go in Austin.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 PM

105 posts, read 665,661 times
Default Darwin and Helmets

[quote=another_hot-day;1131247]"8.no helmet law=people don't take kindly to government getting involved in their personal lives. It's that way in Colorado as well. I think if there is a helmet law here, it only applies to kids under, like, 12-15. It may be common sense, and safer, but it's also a choice, and if someone wants to risk that, it's their business" /quote]

Ahh...Darwinian theory in action....eventually, there won't be anyone left to oppose a helmet law

Old 07-25-2007, 07:42 PM

105 posts, read 665,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Welcome to the south . You will get a lot more tabloid reading in, though, and catch up on which people have been abducted by aliens and who is anorexic, etc....

The good news is, when the cashiers are chatting, they are generally chatting with you---not the bag boy or the cashier at the next checkout line.

I lived in Chicago for several years and it used to burn me up when the cashier would have this non-stop conversation with another employee and, without pausing, would work in the phrase, "That will be $42.50" without making eye contact, and without missing a beat in her story.

She would then hold her hand out (for the money), and continue looking at the employee she was talking with. I would purposely reach out with my payment and be just an inch shy of her open palm...just to see how long it took her to stop talking and look to see where the money was.

If I was really feeling frisky, I would end the transaction with and absurdly cheery, "Thank you SOOO much, have a great day!" Occasionally, I would get a baffled stare, but mostly they had resumed their conversation and were busily ignoring another customer.

I prefer the leisurely pace of Texas service, and the eye-contact and smiles any day!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Pilotskid, I was thinking the Darwin thing when I posted that, just didn't mention it....Darwin awards, anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin