Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM
yam yam started this thread

228 posts, read 887,376 times

Advertisements

I looked at a house today which was not connected to city sewer (rollingwood). Sewer is available at the street but the current homeowner elected to stick with their septic system. What is involved in connecting to city sewer, and what does this typically cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 AM

544 posts, read 1,666,951 times
so much is going to depend on the location of the city waste water line and the existing plumbing configuration to the structure. a part of that variable will be the soil conditon (rock or dirt -- you get the picuture) and requirements the city may have to disable the septic. about the only thing you can "depend" on are basic charges the city has for tying-in. more than likely, the cost out weighed the benefit to the current homeowner and should be a guide. septic systems, operating and maintaned correctly, are no problem -- just takes a little more awareness and discipline on the homeowner's part. get a quote and make a decision

Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 AM

I understand that it can vary. However I know that several hundred homes in Rollingwood connected to sewer a few years ago, and I'd imagine this house and lot ought to be similar to most of those.... just hoping someone around here knows about how much the typical homeowner paid for one of these connections.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
My brother's house in Balcones Village on 183 north was annexed by Austin 12 years ago and the city put in new sewage lines.

Brother said his septic tank was in the front yard - the plumbing estimate to deactivate (fill in ) the old tank and trench a new sewer pipe from his house to the street hook-up was $4,000. Then on top of that there would be a Capital Recovery fee paid to the City of Austin for about $4,500.

He declined to do that and is still on septic.

His neighbor's septic was in the backyard, and wound up paying a total of $9,000 to hook up to the city sewage.

This was 12 years ago, and they were uncomplicated conversions. It may be more difficult in Rollingwood, depending on the elevations, distances, rock excavation, etc.

Today, it could run double the figures above. You'll just have to get an estimate and check to see if there's any kind of Capital Recovery fee from the City.

That's all I got.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 AM

Thanks Scopro. That's the kind of data I'm looking for. Hoping to get a few more datapoints here if I can, especially from anyone in Rollingwood. The lot is flat.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I have heard of a few instances where the elevation of the sewer line at the house was relatively low compared to the connection point in the street. Which made it very difficult to get a decent slope in the line. That would be the first thing to investigate.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 27,051 times
We want to renovate and add onto our house. If we "move" the plumbing but do not add any plumbing, will Austin require us to switch from septic to City sewage?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:27 PM

38 posts, read 175,199 times
I'll second Scopro's numbers, capital recovery to COA runs around 5000K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: