Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:16 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,769 times

Advertisements

78753 is at least 20 mins north of downtown. As AustinSpartan says above, that probably means you are working off Parmer at the Samsung plant or somewhere in nearby TechRidge which is a mostly benign area made up of a few strip malls and office parks. 78753 is a big zip and gets ranked high on the crime list due to the area near Rundberg/Lamar/I-35. That is a ways off from the TechRidge/Samsung area although in the same zip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
2009 Crime Statistics now available

Austin Police have just released some startling new numbers regarding downtown violent crime

Old 03-08-2011, 04:51 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Depends on who you ask and what you're comparing it to.

Ask any cop. My friend is a cop and will tell you there are gangs in central Austin even though a lot of people don't believe it, and crime a lot of residents don't know about unless it happens to them or someone they know. Many people here say they "feel" safe, but that can't tell you much. In general I don't think it's too bad, but it's there. I've got two friends who were assaulted and robbed on separate occasions, and a family member who was attacked when leaving his car to go bar hopping, he even ended up in the hospital (all random crimes by the way.)

Old 03-08-2011, 05:34 PM

58 posts, read 135,460 times
I'm a single female and I moved here from 2 years ago. I live on the East Side. The East side of town is considered by many long time residents to be the bad part of town. To me, there were worst parts in KC.

I have never felt like my life has been in danger. Although, growing up in the suburbs of KC will not produce street smarts, so I may have been in danger but just not known it.

That being said, the neighborhood that I live in has had several home invasions. The good news is that if the owner was home, the intruders would just leave. Three of my co-workers have also had their homes invaded. Two were not home and they were robbed of guns, TVs, and computers. The daughter of one co-worker was home and the intruders left.

I'm oddly comforted by the fact that the intruders don't mess with home owners. Maybe it's a Southern thing.

Just practice common sense - take everything out of your car and lock it up. Better yet, pull it into the garage. (That's a big thing here - many people don't park in their garages...) Lock your house when you're gone, even for just a minute. Get an alarm system and use it faithfully. Don't buy a house with decorative windows next to the door. Make sure that the alarm security system isn't viewable from a window/door. I think that getting a storm door and keeping it locked will help a little. (For me, storm doors are a godsend in the spring and fall - most homes don't have them here...)

Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM

108 posts, read 274,740 times
Default Question to Milytaylor

If it's ok, could you please let me know the actual city name?

Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,682 times
During Texas Relays.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:49 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
During Texas Relays.
Hmm..very curious you would say that, since you live in West Texas where there are relatively few people who would most likely attend the Texas Relays.

Or maybe you were talking about yourself being at the Texas Relays...(you, really)...HAHAHA !!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
During Texas Relays.
Wasn't that myth dispelled by APD a couple of years ago where they stated that the crime rate did not increase during the relays any more than any other large weekend event in Austin?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
The closest thing I've seen to a crime in Austin is people driving 45 on Mopac during free-flow traffic conditions. Oh, and sometimes the homeless around the university can be a little "pushy".

Some people attract criminals. Others don't. The point is that Austin is as safe as nearly any other metro. Since downtown Austin is actually very livable, unlike many downtown areas, there are plenty of non-criminals around at all times, which I think tends to make everyone look like less of a victim for violent crimes.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Austin is like Disneyland compared to Detroit. Simply no comparison.

Now if you were comparing New Orleans to Detroit then you might have something to compare.

I've never felt unsafe in Austin. I can't say that about New Orleans, I've never been to Detroit but it's not high on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin