Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks11 View Post
Good god man I’m a government employee, not a physicist. The same can be said about anything, pedestrians, cyclist, pets, fruit cars, and circus folk. I just used cyclist because lately I have seen more cyclist innards turn into their outwards lately and I think it’s a bummer.

I applaud your thinking that a citation might be used for something other than the gathering of government revenue. Citations and the threat of getting one do work on a portion of the population. However, just like there are some kids that you can tell “no” and they listen, and others you have to spank and still others that there just isn’t a dang thing you can do because they believe they are in the right. For some reason I have noticed that cyclist believe that the same traffic rules do not apply to them. If you give a cyclist a ticket, many times they can’t believe they got a cite while on a bike and they believe that they are just being picked on because (insert whatever reason the government hates you). Cites are ineffective when the receiver completely believes that they are in the right. Plus with burglars, domestic disturbances, reckless drivers, drunk people staggering into the streets, fights, thefts, robberies, sexual assaults, patrols and that doughnut I’ve been thinking about for hours, there isn’t just a huge amount of time to enforce this segment of the law as thoroughly as we would like. I am open to suggestions.
This, right here. These are the same kind of people who think that it's their God-given right to speed in a motor vehicle and it's all those pesky people obeying the speed limit that are the cause of the problem.

They're dangerous whether they're in a car or on a bicycle. The only difference is, they're more likely to be removed from the gene pool if they're the one on the bicycle because that multi-ton hunk of metal doesn't CARE how entitled they are to having their own way. And then someone like Nighthawks11 has to come along and clean up the mess they left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Which means that 50% are caused by cyclists.

I have seen unsafe practices by both parties, but a lot of the cyclists seem to hold the belief that it is their right to run red lights, go over the speed limit, make illegal turns, etc.

And I TOTALLY think that tickets should be written to cyclists that break the law. I know someone who had a cyclist run into her (pedestrian), causing her to fall and break her wrist. The cyclist stopped and apologized, but when her companion asked for ID and was going to call the police to file a report (like you would if you were hit by a car), he refused and left before police arrived. Unlike cars, bikes have no identifying markers (like license plates), so she was basically out of luck and had to pay the medical bills herself.

Also, how do cops write tickets when most cyclists don't carry any ID, have no registration or plates, etc?

And I agree about certain roads (2222 anyone?) are unsafe for cyclists. The speed limit on parts of 2222 is 60 mph. There is NO way someone even going under the speed limit and paying attention could stop in time for a cyclist on a blind curve.
The 50% figure was quoted to indicate that the blame is as much one one side at the other, and to quelch the inference that cyclists are always to blame if they are in an accident.

Cops do give tix to cyclists so they must know something you don't. Also citizens can be legally obligated to give their names and address under "stop and identify" laws upheld by the supreme court to any officer that asks so this covers more than just cyclists breaking traffic laws but also pedestrians committing misdemeanors in public.

So if someone's car breaks down on 2222 or they run out of gas are they automatically fodder for autos as they walk down this road with limited shoulders? No I would not ride there but I think speed limits should be set and roadways should be designed for worst case scenarios not just for maximum throughput.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks11 View Post
Good god man I’m a government employee, not a physicist. The same can be said about anything, pedestrians, cyclist, pets, fruit cars, and circus folk. I just used cyclist because lately I have seen more cyclist innards turn into their outwards lately and I think it’s a bummer.

I applaud your thinking that a citation might be used for something other than the gathering of government revenue. Citations and the threat of getting one do work on a portion of the population. However, just like there are some kids that you can tell “no” and they listen, and others you have to spank and still others that there just isn’t a dang thing you can do because they believe they are in the right. For some reason I have noticed that cyclist believe that the same traffic rules do not apply to them. If you give a cyclist a ticket, many times they can’t believe they got a cite while on a bike and they believe that they are just being picked on because (insert whatever reason the government hates you). Cites are ineffective when the receiver completely believes that they are in the right. Plus with burglars, domestic disturbances, reckless drivers, drunk people staggering into the streets, fights, thefts, robberies, sexual assaults, patrols and that doughnut I’ve been thinking about for hours, there isn’t just a huge amount of time to enforce this segment of the law as thoroughly as we would like. I am open to suggestions.
I disagree. I remember when I was making just over minimum wage and got a traffic ticket at 17 years of age. It was a whole paycheck at my part time job and really put a damper on things.

Cops do have authority and they do make impressions, especially on the young. If a cited cyclists does come to the realization that what he/she doing is not only socially unacceptable but also comes with penalties there is a good chance they'll change their tune. That and an accident will surely reinforce things. Still a cyclists who breaks all the rules is much less a danger to others than a driver that has the same attitude. Last time I heard of a cyclist killing someone in Texas was October 4, 2010 in Dallas. So when was the last time a motorist killed someone? was it even 10 minutes ago? My point is that lawless cyclists are primarily, almost 100% of the time, a danger to themselves only yet motorist get quite worked up when the topic of cyclists is brought up. I'm beginning to think it also has a lot to do with the frustrations of today's drivers in general and that cyclists are an outlet to that. I'm talking about congestion, longer commutes away from the family, ever increasing gas prices, etc.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM

110 posts, read 246,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I disagree. I remember when I was making just over minimum wage and got a traffic ticket at 17 years of age. It was a whole paycheck at my part time job and really put a damper on things.

Cops do have authority and they do make impressions, especially on the young. If a cited cyclists does come to the realization that what he/she doing is not only socially unacceptable but also comes with penalties there is a good chance they'll change their tune. That and an accident will surely reinforce things. Still a cyclists who breaks all the rules is much less a danger to others than a driver that has the same attitude. Last time I heard of a cyclist killing someone in Texas was October 4, 2010 in Dallas. So when was the last time a motorist killed someone? was it even 10 minutes ago? My point is that lawless cyclists are primarily, almost 100% of the time, a danger to themselves only yet motorist get quite worked up when the topic of cyclists is brought up. I'm beginning to think it also has a lot to do with the frustrations of today's drivers in general and that cyclists are an outlet to that. I'm talking about congestion, longer commutes away from the family, ever increasing gas prices, etc.
You know you are probably exactly right. in a senario much like this one:

However, as much as we would all like to live in a world where youth respect and admire our police officers, this is a different world. It is possible that we just have differing points of view or maybe that you have been living in a bomb shelter since the nuclear bomb scares of the 1950's. If it is the latter, the cold war is over. Hooray!

It's sad when people die. People have feelings and emotions. If you see it that the cyclist is only hurting themselves, I am glad I am not as emotionally void as you. It affects people when they are involved in an event that causes the loss of another human life. It affects families. What about the kids that saw mommy run over that nice man on a bicycle, when he ran a red light? If you are unable to comprehend damage to others on an emotional level then maybe you could agree that it causes property damage when a cyclist throws them self in front of a car. That bicyclist imprint on that beamer isn't going to fix itself.

My view here is not that motorist don't ever make a mistake. I wrote a letter to the bicyclist. My letter to the motorist is much more vulgar and contains some sexually suggestive material not appropriate for this forum.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:31 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times
Funny right after posting in this thread yesterday afternoon I saw a guy on a bike riding against traffic on the Northbound service road of 183 around Balcones Woods. There was nearly several accidents near that intersection as a result of cars swerving out of the way.

Also people keep talking about broken down cars or pedestrians on the road. It is never a good idea to walk on or near a roadway regardles of the situation. If you break down or get a flat be smart and safe. A guy on a car forum I belong to died recently waiting on the said of the road in his car for his girlfirend to bring a jack. It was very early morning and cold and sadly she arrived several minutes after his car got hit by another car.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:49 PM

399 posts, read 1,803,244 times
A question I've been wondering about is this: Are cyclists allowed to ride on sidewalks if there is no bicycle lane?

It seems many do, and when they do, they seem to think they get to choose which rules to adhere to, vehicular and/or pedestrian.

This comes up often, for example: I'm in the right hand lane and ready to take a right turn in my car. The pedestrians crossing there have the red light, cars have the green. Now a cyclist comes down the sidewalk, sees the red light for the crosswalk, and just keeps going through, because in their mind they're not a pedestrian; they're a vehicle that just happens to be farthest to the right. This is dangerous to the right-turning car, as they're usually just looking for pedestrians over there, not faster moving cyclists.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 PM

171 posts, read 422,793 times
Cyclists have a right to choose twisty, narrow roads.

It's just not a smart choice.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
What I find interesting is the reactions of some when it's pointed out that bicyclists have a responsibility to themselves and the general public to obey the traffic laws that pertain to them. It's so frequently along the lines of, "But motorists don't always, so bicyclists shouldn't have to!" In other words, they're using the "But, Mooooom, EVERYBODY's jumping off a cliff" school of debate to justify the idea that they shouldn't have to obey traffic laws, even if it might save their lives.

Like I said above, the same kinds of people with the same sense of entitlement violate traffic laws whether they're in a car or on a bicycle. And I seriously doubt that anything will ever get through to them.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenrySDM View Post
A question I've been wondering about is this: Are cyclists allowed to ride on sidewalks if there is no bicycle lane?

It seems many do, and when they do, they seem to think they get to choose which rules to adhere to, vehicular and/or pedestrian.

This comes up often, for example: I'm in the right hand lane and ready to take a right turn in my car. The pedestrians crossing there have the red light, cars have the green. Now a cyclist comes down the sidewalk, sees the red light for the crosswalk, and just keeps going through, because in their mind they're not a pedestrian; they're a vehicle that just happens to be farthest to the right. This is dangerous to the right-turning car, as they're usually just looking for pedestrians over there, not faster moving cyclists.
I haven't seen any ordinances about bike lanes relative to sidewalks. In Austin cyclists are allowed to ride on all sidewalks except these, all of which are in the CBD:

A person may not ride a bicycle on a sidewalk on the following streets: (1) 100-1100 blocks of Congress Avenue;
(2) 1900-2500 blocks of Guadalupe Street;
(3) 100-1100 blocks of Brazos Street;
(4) 200-1100 blocks of Colorado Street;
(5) from the 200 block of West 2nd to the 300 block of East 2nd Street;
(6) from the 900 block of West 5th to the 800 block of East 5th Street;
(7) from the 700 block of East 6th Street to the 1000 block of West 6th Street;
(8) from the 100 block of West 8th Street to the 200 block of East 8th Street;
(9) from the 100 block of West 9th Street to the 200 block of East 9th Street;
(10) from the 200 block of West 11th Street to the 200 block of East 11th Street; and
(11) from the 200 block of West 15th Street to the 200 block of East 15th Street.

Regarding bike lanes........sometimes I choose not to ride in them and 90% of the time it is b/c a significant number of cars are parked in them, legally or not (some bike lanes have parking restrictions 24 hours, some 7AM-7PM, and others have no restrictions to parking). Of course when cars are parked in the bike lane I have to give myself at least 3 feet for opening doors, which in turn makes it harder for motorist to pass me since they have to cross the double yellow line, which leads to their frustration.

I can't tell exactly what direction everyone is traveling in your scenario but I don't think its wise for cyclists to jump from the sidewalk into traffic at the last second. It's better to be predictable and make these transitions when you don't instantly make yourself parallel with traffic.

Also regarding an earlier post about the difficulty in ticketing cyclists because of lack of ID:

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally refuses to give his name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has lawfully arrested the person and requested the information.

(b) A person commits an offense if he intentionally gives a false or fictitious name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has: (1) lawfully arrested the person; (2) lawfully detained the person; or (3) requested the information from a person that the peace officer has good cause to believe is a witness to a criminal offense.

And something I didn't know:

(d) A person may stop, stand, or park a bicycle on a sidewalk if the bicycle does not impede the normal and reasonable movement of pedestrian or other traffic on the sidewalk.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
I am not sure that on Lime Creek Road paying attention and not speeding would solve most of the accidents that occur on that road. I drive it under speed, paying attention not playing with the phone or anything and I know several curves that if someone had been there something would have happened. My friends are bikers so I am fine with them but they need to be smarter about which roads they take.
That is very true.

Riding on narrow, twisty & hilly country roads with poor visibility is plain stupid, IMO.

A colleague of mine riding his motorcycle was killed about 10 years ago on Lime Creek road. Had a head-on with a car, so it's obvious somebody crossed the centerline.

Bicyclists who ride on that road need their heads examined, preferably not by the coroner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin