Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:21 PM

9 posts, read 17,723 times

Advertisements

Austin Friends,

So... insects only really pester people from June until November in WI and they don't get very big because there's not a lot of time for them to get big before they die. Our cockroaches are even tiny.

Any advice on where to live or not to live depending on bugginess? Tips and tricks? We have infestation of asian lady beetles, and spiders of course but nothing big, crunchy, with a giant stinger that doesn't fly, or unseen. (like, what the hell is a chigger?) I love wildlife, I just don't want anything eating my cereal or waiting for me in my boot!

I'm not too squeamish, but I wouldn't want to squish something if I didn't know what it was!

I was the in Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority for undergrad and a bat somehow got lost on our third floor. You should have heard the screams- it sounded like an axe murderer was in the house! I ran upstairs and used umbrellas to deflect him out a window, poor guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 03:36 PM

370 posts, read 999,519 times
I've lived all over the U.S. including Michigan (Michigan/Wisconsin, same thing)

I don't find Austin to have more bug issue than MI
If I didn't read about other complaining I wouldn't even notice.

I lived in Coral Springs Fla, near the everglades. Good Lord !
Always stepping/crunching june bugs. Cars had plastic shields covering
the grill to keep the bugs from cloggin up the radiator

Austin is Bug Free compared to Florida

All relative, not an issue to me

Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 PM

117 posts, read 347,483 times
It's all good, except for the scorpions, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders and giant 8-inch redheaded biting and stinging centipedes.

None of which will kill you ... well, the brown recluse bite might maim you if you don't get it treated.

Watch out for rattlesnakes, though!

Oh, you do know about all the bats, right?

Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
Chiggers are awful little mites that like to live in tall grass, and when they find a nummy human, they latch onto your skin, nom on you for a bit, and fall off. The reaction to the bite is like an obnoxious itchy mosquito bite.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I'm from PA, and the bugs are one of my least favorite things about Texas. Doesn't really matter where you live in Austin, there will be bugs. They do seem to be worse in the west part of town. But we have scorpions and huge, mutant tree roaches (something exclusive to the warmer states). And don't forget the lizards, but those don't really bother me too much.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
I used to live down in a valley (and by valley I mean an area lower than the hills around me) near Bull Creek. Roaches, scorpions, and the occasional centipede and spider. Roaches and scorpions were big and plentiful.

Now I live on the top of the hill and it's all bambi, bunnies, and, um, coyotes. Moral of the story: live at a high elevation not near water.

If you're in the more urban central Austin then you'll just need to deal with your friendly neighborhood roach. And they can be avoided by cleanliness and plenty of cancer-causing chemicals. Happy fogging!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 PM

9 posts, read 17,723 times
I'm not scared of bats or snakes, sorry. I just don't want a house full of bugs because it doesn't appeal to me! We have bats and snakes in wisco, I picked one up when I was a kid at girl scout camp and it promptly got me put in a "time out" because it scared the other girls

I just don't want to be calling an exterminator every month, that's all!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 AM

170 posts, read 446,698 times
The new developments or homes in more rural areas are more likely to have things like scorpions than more established neighborhoods. That being said, this is Texas. You may have a brown recluse in your space no matter where you live. But I wouldn't worry about it unless you choose a brand new neighborhood or a place further away from the city where things are obviously "wild".

Our house, built in the 1970s, had the occasional roach but we never sprayed for bugs, inside or out. We had no other insect problems. Each summer some sort of ant would invade our living room ceiling fan. We had an organic pest company come out and put an all natural (non-toxic, at least to people and pets) product in the attic and it took care of the issue. Otherwise we were pretty much bug free and I think most people in the area would say something similar. Small lizards got in the house fairly regularly during the summer but we had a patented system for catching them (large clear plastic bowl and a thin cardboard lid) and we caught them and let them back outside. They eat bugs and are otherwise harmless creatures so you want to have them in your area!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,352 times
What is Austin Texas like in the winter time. Is it Mild Winter like arizona or las vegas?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 AM

223 posts, read 609,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobetexan View Post
It's all good, except for the scorpions, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders and giant 8-inch redheaded biting and stinging centipedes.

None of which will kill you ... well, the brown recluse bite might maim you if you don't get it treated.

Watch out for rattlesnakes, though!

Oh, you do know about all the bats, right?
bats must be pretty ubiquitous, we have a ton here in Ohio and I would imagine Michigan has it's fair share as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin