Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you relocated to Austin, or lived in Austin at some point, how do you feel about it now?
CURRENT AUSTINITE - POSITIVE: It was a great decision. 48 39.34%
CURRENT AUSTINITE - NEUTRAL: I like it, but there are other places I'd like. 19 15.57%
CURRENT AUSTINITE - NEGATIVE: Each day living here is agony... 10 8.20%
PAST AUSTINITE - POSITIVE: I lived in Austin, loved it. Might even move back one day! 11 9.02%
PAST AUSTINITE - NEUTRAL: Been there, done that. 7 5.74%
PAST AUSTINITE - NEGATIVE: Each day I thank God I got out of there. 2 1.64%
FUTURE AUSTINITE - See you soon, y'all! 25 20.49%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:57 PM

302 posts, read 690,645 times

Advertisements

Thought it would be an interesting poll...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 03:00 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,420 times
Everything that gave me slight reservations on my visits here have turned into huge gripes that stress me out daily.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Everything that gave me slight reservations on my visits here have turned into huge gripes that stress me out daily.

are you happy that you relocated to the north side? Not trying to be a smart * ... I'm just curious. The sprawl seems to have bummed you out a bit.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
are you happy that you relocated to the north side? Not trying to be a smart * ... I'm just curious. The sprawl seems to have bummed you out a bit.
You're right, the sprawl was one of the things that I had reservations about before moving and has turned into a major gripe.

Yes, I prefer where I am to where I was on Slaughter. It's kind of interesting... If I stay about a mile north and 2 miles south from my house the crowds are fairly tolerable. Any farther north actually in the center of Cedar Park and it is 10 pounds of s--t in a 5 pound bag. Same as if I go much further south. The only heavy traffic issue near where I live is that I am right near the last free exit on 183 so the traffic leading up to 183 on S.Bell can get pretty crowded in the morning.

All in all, as unimpressed as I have been with Austin I don't necessarily regret moving here because the learning experience it has been in what is really important to me in a long term residence.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
You're right, the sprawl was one of the things that I had reservations about before moving and has turned into a major gripe.

Yes, I prefer where I am to where I was on Slaughter.
I'm becoming a not-so-huge fan of Slaughter lane either. Anywhere between Mopac and I-35 (pretty much the entire width of the 78748 zip code) is pretty bad in terms of traffic and density, especially with the daily northbound traffic surge from Brodie lane. They are building a new 270+ unit apartment complex pretty much at the Brodie/Slaughter intersection which compound the traffic problems.

as for the long term...The "Imagine Austin Comprehensive Plan" that was just adopted by the city council is seeking to create even more density between Mopac/I-35 as a primary focus:

"In general, the Preferred Growth Scenario favors north-south redevelopment and new development that takes advantage of Austin's existing transportation and infrastructure network. There is very limited development to the environmentally-sensitive west, and development to the east takes place in compact, clustered patterns. This type of development helps to protect creeks and rivers in the eastern part of the study area, as well as existing farmland. New growth along Austin's north-south axis is directed to centers and mixed-use corridors to preserve established neighborhoods and support a more robust public transportation network."

http://www.imagineaustin.net/plan-framework.htm (broken link)

Last edited by jobert; 03-30-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I'm becoming a not-so-huge fan of Slaughter lane either. Anywhere between Mopac and I-35 (pretty much the entire width of the 78748 zip code) is pretty bad in terms of traffic and density, especially with the daily northbound traffic surge from Brodie lane.
I remember going to a concert at South Park Meadows about 12 years ago. I'll bet the traffic wasn't too bad then.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I remember going to a concert at South Park Meadows about 12 years ago. I'll bet the traffic wasn't too bad then.

Yeah, same here - saw Phish (twice) and Dave Matthews.

The area was pretty much vacant at that time and was almost completely undeveloped except for Onion Creek.

Last edited by jobert; 03-30-2011 at 05:23 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Just wanted to say that the description for "Austin Neutral" can be a bit restrictive. I'm very positive about Austin, but yet there are still other places I like/love as well. It's not like it's Austin vs the world right?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
Do you REALLY want me to go there??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post
Thought it would be an interesting poll...

Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Do you REALLY want me to go there??
I think we all know where you would fall!!

(Although to be honest, Avery Ranch doesn't equal Austin, I think you miss out on a lot up there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin