Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 5,005 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Austin. My office will be near U of Tx on w15th street . We are thinking of building Steiner Ranch, and would be at hte far end from the Steiner Ranch entrance/exit. I know traffic in Austin can be bad and I will be traveling at rush hour - can someone clue me in to how long it will really take? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Uh, if you leave in the morning and catch the 3 school zones in Steiner then it could take 20 minutes to just leave Steiner, otherwise give it 10 minutes. Then, it would be minimum 45 minutes from the exit of Steiner to downtown. I'd plan for 1 hr 15 minute worst case commute.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Uh, if you leave in the morning and catch the 3 school zones in Steiner then it could take 20 minutes to just leave Steiner, otherwise give it 10 minutes. Then, it would be minimum 45 minutes from the exit of Steiner to downtown. I'd plan for 1 hr 15 minute worst case commute.
Agreed. I live in Steiner (near the front) and am so glad we didn't buy anything farther back. Makes even running to the store a chore. Our current location allows us to walk to pools and stores.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 AM

648 posts, read 1,964,894 times
I wouldn't commute anywhere that my commute was reliant on 2222. It is geographically constrained and not getting any bigger.....no matter how many homes they build out there.

We have friends who live out in Steiner. It is very insular and family friendly, but a shockingly high percentage of the folks who live there, work remotely from home.

There are better options.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
I wouldn't commute anywhere that my commute was reliant on 2222. It is geographically constrained and not getting any bigger.....no matter how many homes they build out there.

We have friends who live out in Steiner. It is very insular and family friendly, but a shockingly high percentage of the folks who live there, work remotely from home.

There are better options.

Hmmm, this commute doesn't sound appealing at all. I would work from home 2 days a week but that still leaves the other 3.

What do you think are better options? Just curious.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 AM

648 posts, read 1,964,894 times
I'd go south or southwest...more ways to cross the river. What is your price point? I guess you guys are fans of new construction?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 AM

We need new construction b/c my husband is an artist and needs studio space in our home. Nothing we looked at has workable space. Not looking to spend more than $450k. Any specific suggestions based on that info? Thanks

Old 04-11-2011, 11:23 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
How does the need for studio space require new construction?

Another alternative would be look at closer in houses on fairly large lots like Allandale or French Place/Wilshire and build a separate studio in the backyard. I know several existing properties in that area that have built studio space in the back yard.

You could be 5-10 minutes from your work on surface roads!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM

We need a space attached to the house b/c of our two small children. Trust me, we looked at probably 40 properties in our 2 househunting trip and nothing was right. If we build, we have the option to design exactly the space we need. We also want exemplary schools, community pool, and relatively close lake access. Given these pretty strict criteria, Steiner Ranch had it all just what looks like a long commute. But if anyone has a suggestion of a place that could meet those criteria, minus the commute, I would love to hear it! But I am guessing all that closer to downtown would result in more cash than we want to spend, is that a good guess?

Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem78 View Post
We need a space attached to the house b/c of our two small children. Trust me, we looked at probably 40 properties in our 2 househunting trip and nothing was right. If we build, we have the option to design exactly the space we need. We also want exemplary schools, community pool, and relatively close lake access. Given these pretty strict criteria, Steiner Ranch had it all just what looks like a long commute. But if anyone has a suggestion of a place that could meet those criteria, minus the commute, I would love to hear it! But I am guessing all that closer to downtown would result in more cash than we want to spend, is that a good guess?
Did you look SW? Try Circle C.

(FWIW: Allandale has an exemplary elementary school and a great public pool, but not new and shiny although there are a number of re-dos in the area and it remains within your budget).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin