Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM

7 posts, read 15,963 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed down my choices of cities for relocation to Austin, TX; Albuquerque, NM; and Christchurch, NZ.

What makes Austin unique?
What fun places/events will make me want to stay?
What are the job prospects and cost of living compared to salary?
How bad is the property tax in Texas? Will I want to rent an apartment rather than buy a house because of the taxes?
How does the cost of land compare to Albuquerque, NM?
How bad is the urbanization and how bad will it probably get?
How good is the public transport and how bad is traffic? Will I want to use public transport if I have a car?
How are the internet bandwidth "speeds" and what are the costs of utilities?
How annoying or scary are the snakes and scorpions?

I have a MS in Computer Science from a well known US university. I am interested in Biotechnology and may get a MS in that before or after moving.
I have researched the weather, pests, and taxes (income, sales, property), so I know a little about those. I'm not sure if I prefer the cold winters of New Mexico or the humid summers of Texas. I prefer dry, cool to warm weather.
I may have a good telecommuting job when I move, so the job opportunities are more of a fall-back.
I've heard that the Biotech industry is starting in Austin, but there is no academic research in that field. Is that correct and is that likely to change?

I'll probably be visiting both U.S. cities this summer, so recommend places to see! (Attractions, neighborhoods, restaurants)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 AM

156 posts, read 300,258 times
I can't answer most of the questions but I know the Job Market is competitive. Like you, I am moving with a job I can do from anywhere but we are concerned about my wife's opportunities.

I will say that if Christchurch, NZ was a option for us we would be there. Its sort of those once in a lifetime things IMO.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:38 AM

291 posts, read 800,683 times
I love Albuquerque but the crime rate there is way worse than Austin. The one thing I love about Albuquerque, is that even though it gets hot during the day in the summer, it cools off nicely in the evenings. Not so, in Austin. I think there are more things for a young person to do in Austin, music, outdoors (which Albuquerque has outdoor stuff too, but not water stuff), especially the water activities and to be able to be at the coast in 3-4 hours.

That said, I would go to NZ in a heartbeat!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I have been to Albuquerque a few times, but it was really a stopping point (airport) on my way to Sante Fe. So I can't offer much that wasn't already said. I have been to NZ, Auckland and Wellington, but not Christchurch. New Zealand seems like a very nice place to live, but I really have no idea what matters living there vs. visiting.

For some of the OP's questions....

Property taxes in Texas range from a bit below 2% to just over 3% of assessed value. That means the annual property tax bill for a $200K home ranges from about $4,000 to $6,000 per year. It is non-trivial, but for most it is offset by the lack of an income tax. If I moved to Austin, I'd start by renting regardless of property taxes just to get my bearings first before I bought a home. I would not rent simply to avoid property taxes. To me rent vs. buy is a different issue - what lifestyle do you want and how long are you likely to stay in one place?

Public transportation is mediocre. Some say it is awful; no one says it is good. Traffic ranges from awful to not bad at all. It all depends on where you must go and when. If you are working from home, traffic may be much less important to you.

Scorpions and snakes? I live out of the city and see them both at least occasionally. I have been stung by scorpions a few times in 20+ years here. I don't like them but have no fear of them nor would it affect my choice of where to live. I think snakes are rather cool and seeing them reminds me I am surrounded by animals.

You can get any internet speed you want if you are not in a rural setting.

Fun stuff in Austin? I think there is an almost endless supply. Music all year everywhere. Festivals almost year round. Outdoor sports everywhere. Beautiful lakes for boating, fishing, swimming. College sports. I am not bothered in the least that we don't have pro sports, highbrow culture, or world class shopping.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,692 times
Austin is the crown jewel of Texas. Just ask Austinites!

Job wise, most students and employees don't want to leave Austin. This often results in lower wages being paid when compared to other Texas cities and other states. I have worked in 3 different industries here and it has held true for all of them. People don't take promotions out of town because they want to stay here, which in turn creates a glut of people qualified for that position. This translates to the company not having to pay as much since there's plenty of potential employees.

May not apply to your field but all but those in the highest demand will see some of that here. Besides the hot summers, there's really not much else to complain about. We have beautiful lakes and parks, a live music scene to rival any city in the world and a (for the most part) intelligent populous. It's great here, just don't tell anyone ok?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the replies! Anyone feel free to give more details or continue to answer questions in the OP.

Well, I think I may have to admit New Zealand may be out of the running. I probably still want to travel there, but it will probably wait until later in life since I don't need to scout it out for emigration purposes. Property values and cost of living have been rising heavily and after the earthquakes in ChCh, they don't make financial sense anymore. Also job opportunities are much more limited.

I'm planning a trip to check out Austin during the Summer when weather is the worst. (If I can stand the worst weather, I will enjoy the rest of the year.) I think I may be overestimating the humidity. My friend that lives there said Houston was similar to Orlando, and that Austin was considerably drier. Other testimony reveals the humidity is apparent in the mornings and the afternoons dry out.
I've got a friend willing to act as a tour guide in Austin.

If I like Austin in the Summer, then I may consider living there and renting, and maybe eventually building a house in the outskirts. I'll probably want some of my house underground, hermetically sealed, and dehumidified. Also, I definitely want enough land for plinking and growing wild flowers, but I hate grass so I'll probably make a rock and flower garden (xeriscaped).

I think I may like the juxtaposition of the liberal movement in town with the conservative roots all around. I fancy a bit of both worlds.

Now for some questions:
Could I build a small house on a larger plot of land to lower insurance and property taxes (would the property be valued lower)?
Does it make more sense to save and invest in stocks rather than buy land for investment purposes due to property tax?
What does the humidity compare to? (I've lived in Houston/Kingwood, Orlando, and north metro Atlanta.)
How prevalent are the greenbelts and how do they compare to Kingwood (only place I've experienced Texas greenbelts)?

As long as I can stand the summer weather, Austin sounds like it takes the cake. A native Texan may be returning to the motherland!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 PM

171 posts, read 422,793 times
You'll pay property taxes whether you rent or buy. If you rent, you're just paying the landlord's property taxes for him... It's a good idea to rent and learn the lay of the land (and get economically settled) before buying.

Real estate valuations are the same, regardless of build or buy. Land is part of the valuation, unless you're farming or ranching it (the agricultural exemptions are huge).

It may make more sense to invest in the market than to rely on property valuation. With property, there are definitely carrying costs (taxes, upkeep, etc). On the other hand, you get to live in your house, not just watch it appreciate.

The humidity is less than Houston, Orlando, and Atlanta. It's not quite as dry as Albuquerque, though.

The greenbelts are pretty prevalent, but I can't compare them to Kingwood. A number of the suburbs have green space here, especially the master-planned ones.

In high summer, we usually don't spend too much time outdoors (unless at the lake or a pool). I'd suggest a visit before July or after August, for a better feel.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,692 times
Could I build a small house on a larger plot of land to lower insurance and property taxes (would the property be valued lower)?
- Answered by previous poster. Find the land you want and build the size you desire.

Does it make more sense to save and invest in stocks rather than buy land for investment purposes due to property tax?
- This will be best answered by your investment advisor or accountant for your particular needs. However, as someone in commercial real estate. If you can afford to buy in the area, buy. Land appreciates nicely here and we were negligibly affected by the current housing crisis. But again consult a pro concerning your situation.

What does the humidity compare to? (I've lived in Houston/Kingwood, Orlando, and north metro Atlanta.)
- It's not as bad as any of those 3 by quite a bit. Most of our winds come from the west, just every now and then we get southerly coastal breezes that amp up the humidity. But it's rarely dry or dryish. On the good side, it's great for your skin!

How prevalent are the greenbelts and how do they compare to Kingwood (only place I've experienced Texas greenbelts)?
- The greenbelts for the most part are head and shoulders above other cities. Now I know Kingwood was built in a forest and they have a pretty good trail system but it's mostly just paved sidewalks. I do love the tall trees down there. But I'm not talking about the neighborhood developments like that but the hike and bike trail surrounding the downtown lake and the trails up Barton Creek for miles. Heck I just discovered a park close to me that has an 11 mile mountain bike loop (Walnut Creek Park). Austin's parks are pretty great.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymax View Post
- The greenbelts for the most part are head and shoulders above other cities. Now I know Kingwood was built in a forest and they have a pretty good trail system but it's mostly just paved sidewalks. I do love the tall trees down there. But I'm not talking about the neighborhood developments like that but the hike and bike trail surrounding the downtown lake and the trails up Barton Creek for miles. Heck I just discovered a park close to me that has an 11 mile mountain bike loop (Walnut Creek Park). Austin's parks are pretty great.
Kingwood's greenbelts being almost all paved helps with jogging and biking (if you don't like cross-country running or biking) so that you don't sprain an ankle on a rock or slip.
Are the greenbelts in Austin dirt or rock/gravel, if not paved?
Kingwood's greenbelts didn't just follow roads, but also went through the woods, over specially made bridges (even tunnels under roads so you didn't have to cross traffic) and took shortcuts across town so you could jog from residential areas to the schools, library, and shopping areas.
There were also special exercise trails with different wooden fixtures for different stretches or exercises. Does Austin have anything like that?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 8,885 times
I am from Santa Fe, my husband is from New Orleans and we currently live in Austin. I have also lived in Albuquerque for a brief time. I am an architect as well. Generally as other have said - Austin would be fantastic if it wasn't for 100 days in the summer over 100 degrees. That said Austin has many amazing watering holes that you probably wouldn't enjoy as much if you didn't have the heat. The greenbelts here are an amazing part of the city connecting many neighborhoods together with the center of the city. Some parts of the green belt have paved jogging trails other areas of the greenbelt are for hiking and are more rural. You can rent canoes and float out on Lady Bird Lake and jump in Barton Springs Pool when you are done. It is great.

Regarding Taxes - Texas does not have personal income tax, to make up for it the property taxes are high. Generally we have found that the taxes on our house are about 50/50 between the land and the house but this varies widely depending on where in the city you live. In some areas the land can be worth much more than an old small house that is on it or if you build brand new construction with all the bells and whistles this can change.

Believe the hype about the traffic. It is bad and commuting times can be awful. We live close to downtown and have no problems - ride our bikes most places and don't have to think about it. But folks who choose to go to the outskirts of town you will feel it. It isn't pretty.

Regarding NM - I am a Santa Fe girl, will always call it home. We left because it was a bit of a retirement community. ABQ is younger but in my opinion doesn't have as much character as either Austin or Santa Fe.... Jobs might be a deciding factor. ...

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin