Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 03:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Thank you. That was my point. I don't care if an above ground pool costs $200 or $2,000. If it collapses, that's money wasted. I'm not in the business of wasting my money and time dealing with that type of situation.

So I will reiterate. If at all possible, I suggest waiting until the opportunity presents itself to purchase an in ground.
Even if you had to replace a $2,000 pool every 3 years it would take 60 years before it equaled the cost of your $40,000 pool. If you spend $40,000 on a pool, you will never get that cost back on the resell value of your home. That sounds like a waste of money to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 03:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Now, THIS is scary:
Above Ground Pools | blueworldpools.com
$299 For A Huge 15'X 24' Including Installation. Valued at $1995!

Swimming Pools | Above Ground Pools - Blue World Pools

Somehow, I don't think the bottom line will be three hundred bucks!

That's over 10,000 gallons of water held by a total cost of $300??? Installed?
You get what you pay for. Use a reputable company, a local one where you can go in and see and talk to the people.

I have dealt with A-Tex over the years and never had problems.
Also know your brands..Doughboy is top of the line for AG pools.

If I recall the pool was about $2K, sand base, and then labor were extra but it's been so long that even if I remember it would be out of date.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Now, THIS is scary:
Above Ground Pools | blueworldpools.com
$299 For A Huge 15'X 24' Including Installation. Valued at $1995!

Swimming Pools | Above Ground Pools - Blue World Pools

Somehow, I don't think the bottom line will be three hundred bucks!

That's over 10,000 gallons of water held by a total cost of $300??? Installed?
You left out the part where it says *Additional costs may be required. Plus that pool is only about 30" deep which would be 6700 gallons. It takes very little structure to hold back 30" of water. Easily accomplished with the curved ends and side braces pictured here. Yeah, if the side gave way you might get your knees wet.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Trust your above ground pool crumbling by year three will be much more offensive to your neighbors than my post is to you Captn.

Mrs JT- You are spot on...plus...aesthetically they are an eye sore of grand proportion--and typically de-value a home a ton!
I maintain my yard and everything in it, nothing crumbles. Besides, how are my neighbors going to be offended by something they can't see in my fenced back yard? And if they are so elitist that they find it offensive why should I care? You must get a lot of slivers in your nostrils sticking your nose over your neighbors fence like that?

OMG this is really an eyesore isn't it!

Actually any swimming pool devalues a house, because most buyers don't want the liability or hassle of maintaining a pool. At least an above ground pool is easy to remove and take with you when it comes time to sell your house. Throw out some grass seed and you can't even tell it was ever there.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-02-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Even the more attractive ones with the decking have their drawbacks, in my opinion. First is resale. I don't know any potential buyers who would want one. Second is safety. If you have the deck around it, it would make enclosing it in a fence pretty difficult. And there is no way, no how I would ever have a pool, inground or otherwise, that didn't have it's own locking fence around it - not just a fence around the yard. Far more kids are killed in pool accidents than gun accidents (even in Texas), yet people seem to exercise even less caution with pools.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
actually the photo of the pool with decking shows that you would fence in the open side and be able to prevent access to certain extent--depends on type of fencing you use

you can dig a hole and use a plastic liner and have an inground pool that way--
but the issue with rain water 'floating" the pool out of the hole is really difficult to ignore doing that

two points--
most people would consider an above ground pool as a marker of someone who took the "cheap way out" to add a pool--that may not bother the people building it or using it--
but it may be issue with resale--
so you should be prepared to take it all down and resod if you ever sell your house

in some neighborhoods it is just not smart to put in a gunite pool--you will NEVER see the appreciation value in the house
especially in neighborhoods where homes are less than 200K probably--

one issue I have with above ground pools is that people don't usually have the type of pump/cleaner system that runs as much as a gunite pool does--
therefore the water can go still and be source of mosquitos--even if you keep it covered when you are not using it

Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Actually any swimming pool devalues a house, because most buyers don't want the liability or hassle of maintaining a pool. At least an above ground pool is easy to remove and take with you when it comes time to sell your house. Throw out some grass seed and you can't even tell it was ever there.
That's true. But so would vinyl floors. Having an above-ground pool would be like having bright orange vinyl floors. Both are unattractive to buyers, but one is much more so. And you can remove the flooring too, but most buyers ind it hard to see past what's there.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,485 times
Good point...a little Scott's Plus...and they will never know it was there...

On a serious note--Best of luck and have a great summer!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
HA! I have that Scott's yard cart...filled the plastic tires with spray foam to help keep them from collapsing when I was rebuilding our patio. Can't find those any more...makes a great rain barrel when we get 13" in one day!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:51 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Even if you had to replace a $2,000 pool every 3 years it would take 60 years before it equaled the cost of your $40,000 pool. If you spend $40,000 on a pool, you will never get that cost back on the resell value of your home. That sounds like a waste of money to me.
I apologize to everyone else for resurrecting this...

CptnRn, what you said is a jumble of non sequiturs. I believe in QUALITY, not QUANTITY. Who would want to replace a pool every three years? That's insane. (and a WASTE of money) Further, we wouldn't purchase a pool for the mere resale value of our home. If we install a pool, it would be for OUR pleasure. If it adds to the value of our home, great. If not, oh well. It's not that serious to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin