Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
cptrn i suspect is a real estate agent. perhaps he gets a kick back from any contractors he recommends?

As far as pools go...it's an individual choice. Also consider the location for any pool. An above ground can look like an oil storage unit on a small property...and then there's the lack of privacy issue....it's all about what YOU want and can afford. But, let's face it...above ground = cheaper than in ground, in actual cost, but also in perception.
No, CptnRn is not a real estate agent.

And an above-ground pool can look like an oil storage unit, or it can look just as nice as an in-ground pool. It all depends on the installation, decking, and landscaping.

I say this with some assurance because I AM a real estate agent, and I've probably seen a lot more residential pools than most of you, as a result. Some above-ground pools can't be told from in-ground without looking closely, because of the kind of lot they're installed on (sloping, in particular, where you go out to the pool from the house just like with an in-ground pool and the decking/surround hide the pool itself).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 AM

481 posts, read 2,417,076 times
Interesting thread. For those of you with pools - in-ground or above, has the novelty worn off?

I have been wanting a pool - badly - for 3 years but the in-ground price scares me and since I will have 3 kids in college at the same time, I'm not so sure it's something I should do.

The neighbors on either side of us have in-ground pools. Yes, I can see them from my 2nd story just enticing me. I have noticed that they don't use the pool as much anymore. They both used it a lot the first year, 2nd year about 50% less, 3rd year hardly at all. This year I haven't seen or heard them in the pool yet. One neighbor said they just don't like it like they did when they first got it.

So maybe an above ground is the way to go it the novelty wears off in a couple of years. $40k is a lot to spend to use a pool only a few times in the summer.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:13 AM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
unless your enjoyment is predicated on being elitist..

If you cant enjoy an above ground pool because it offends you, then that is truly elitist. Dont worry about being elitist, but at least admit it.

I personally would love an above ground pool, but my wife is an elitist.
If I look out my window to admire the roses I planted along the perimeter of my yard and I don't want that view obstructed by an above ground pool, does that make me an elitist too?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
Interesting thread. For those of you with pools - in-ground or above, has the novelty worn off?

I have been wanting a pool - badly - for 3 years but the in-ground price scares me and since I will have 3 kids in college at the same time, I'm not so sure it's something I should do.

The neighbors on either side of us have in-ground pools. Yes, I can see them from my 2nd story just enticing me. I have noticed that they don't use the pool as much anymore. They both used it a lot the first year, 2nd year about 50% less, 3rd year hardly at all. This year I haven't seen or heard them in the pool yet. One neighbor said they just don't like it like they did when they first got it.

So maybe an above ground is the way to go it the novelty wears off in a couple of years. $40k is a lot to spend to use a pool only a few times in the summer.
For me, yes it did but not quite to the point where we never used it.
When you have kids it gets used a lot. As they get older it gets used less and less to the point where it's just you using it. That's what happened in my family.

We did have our AB pool for 10 years. That last year it was just me using it and cleaning it. It came down after that summer (sold on craigslist ).

But I enjoy having a pool in the backyard so what I did was get an Intex with the metal frame. Up in May, down and packed after labor day and it lasted 3 summers. Smaller pool (15 round) but it served it's purpose well for $250..gave me respite from the heat, pool in the backyard and no yearlong maintenance worries. Didn't get another one and this is the first summer with no pool in the backyard and I do miss it so I'll be doing the Intex thing next summer.

Honestly..if you are not sure then maybe try the Intex pools for a summer or two. You get to "try it out" and see if a more permanent pool is what you want.

Here's the Intex I had. Wallymart doesn't carry them at the store but I ordered it Walmart online and had it delivered to the store and then picked it up. I was able to set this puppy up all by myself.

$250 averaged out over 3 summers meant I spent $83/summer to have my own pool. Definitely not a wallet breaker
The Texas sun is hard on outside materials..that 3rd summer we had a few leaks which patched OK but figured it was time to go when we took it down.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 06-04-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I don't think it's elitist to prefer one, the other, or neither. Personally, we have an inground pool, it's awesome, we love it. We bought the house with the pool already in. I don't think I would have gone through the hassle of building a pool (in or out of ground). There's a lot that goes into making the pool area fun and pretty, though. Just saying.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
If I look out my window to admire the roses I planted along the perimeter of my yard and I don't want that view obstructed by an above ground pool, does that make me an elitist too?
Absolutely not. That's why they have HOA's and rules and restrictions.
What is allowed in some places is not allowed in others.
And that should be perfectly fine because that lets groups of people with the same standard of what is acceptable in the backyard live among themselves with no worries about "what if".

FWIW though an AB pool typically isn't higher than the standard backyard fence (unless you were looking out a 2nd floor window).

Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Yes that makes you an elitist and a nosy neighbor. There is absolutely no way for something in your neighbors yard to "obstruct" your view, look up the definition. If you don't want to see what your neighbor is legally entitled to put in their back yard, then you should put up a fence and plant trees to screen the view. I would expect a lawyer to know better.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
cptrn i suspect is a real estate agent. perhaps he gets a kick back from any contractors he recommends?

As far as pools go...it's an individual choice. Also consider the location for any pool. An above ground can look like an oil storage unit on a small property...and then there's the lack of privacy issue....it's all about what YOU want and can afford. But, let's face it...above ground = cheaper than in ground, in actual cost, but also in perception.
Well you are wrong on both points. I am an architect, I have not recommended any contractors here, but when I do it is because know from experience that they do excellent work and are working with them is a positive experience. I have never received a kick back from anyone and have to wonder about the intelligence, or lack of it, in anyone who would make such an accusation about someone they know absolutely nothing about.

As an Architect I recognize that not everyone has an elitist budget, but it is still often possible to design something that meets their needs with a reduced budget. A lot of my career has been spent helping clients meet their needs even though they had inadequate budgets.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:50 AM

239 posts, read 518,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have seen numerous nice installations with above ground pools. They are very inexpensive compared to in ground pools and the water is just as nice to swim in. Check out their photos, the installations can be very nice when combined with a raised deck. Like anything else, its all in how you do it.

Here is one Austin company that installs them. A-TEX Family Fun Center - Austin, TX
You posted this earlier in the thread....

Old 06-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
You posted this earlier in the thread....
Note that I did not recommend them, I simply said here is one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin