Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,500 times

Advertisements

Hi, Need some help from some local pros. Any help would be greatly appreicated. We are moving to Texas in the spring and are trying to find a small town near Austin. We prefer a rural setting. I would like to buy some waterfront acerage (5+ acres).

The criteria is as follows:

1. Within 1 hr of Austin
2. On lake/ water large enough for a boat (water skiing, etc)
3. Small town feel with town center (like Wimberley, but with a lake)
4. A good demographic (low crime, high education levels, etc)

Thanks to all,
Bryce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 11:35 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Lake Georgetown maybe, won't be on the lake I don't think though.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:46 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Well, if you got the money, you can probably get 5 acres off Lake Austin...of course, you have got to have A LOT of money .

Really, though, for a more reasonable price within an hour of Austin, Lake LBJ (jest west of Marble Falls) is a better possibility. Cheaper still, but a little further away (definitely pushing the hour) is Lake Buchanan, just west of Burnet. Both are beautiful lakes and a lot less trafficed than Travis. You can also get land on Lake travis, which is just west of Austin, but it is probably the most expensive, unless you want to buy some 'flood land'....Travis is the main flood control lake, so the levels go up and down there more than any of the other lakes.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:37 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I'm not sure that waterfront lots are available at Georgetown, even though it's boatable. Granger and Bastrop, there is no development although they are also motor boat friendly. It'd be better to look at the highland lakes (Travis, Buchanan, Inks, LBJ, Lake Austin, Canyon (although that may be too far). I sort of giggle when people ask if the lakes here are big enough for skiing, etc....(I don't mean anything crude by that, it's just that the lakes are so large)

Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,073 times
All are good suggestions...just wanted to add Belton. It would fit most of your requirements (the parades downtown are charming), but I don't know if there's much lake front land available. Like Lake Georgetown, Lake Belton is controlled by Corp of Engineers and is mostly surrounded by parks.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 PM
McJ

169 posts, read 480,233 times
Lago Vista

Old 08-07-2007, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 55,795 times
You should check out the Lakeway area off Ranch Rd. 620. Excellent schools and gorgeous lake- boats galore. Close to Austin. I have family that's lived there for years and they love the area and schools. I've been in Marble Falls/Horseshoe Bay area the last 6 yrs. and it's really pretty here, which explains the recent influx of Austinites, Californians and celebrities, etc. but I am totally unimpressed with the schools and don't want to raise my family here. (plus it gets to be a drag having to drive an hour + into Austin for everything. Walmart doesn't cut it).

Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycem View Post
Hi, Need some help from some local pros. Any help would be greatly appreicated. We are moving to Texas in the spring and are trying to find a small town near Austin. We prefer a rural setting. I would like to buy some waterfront acerage (5+ acres).

The criteria is as follows:

1. Within 1 hr of Austin
2. On lake/ water large enough for a boat (water skiing, etc)
3. Small town feel with town center (like Wimberley, but with a lake)
4. A good demographic (low crime, high education levels, etc)

Thanks to all,
Bryce.
You dont say how much money you want to spend, which is everything. However on the north side, jonestown, volente and lago vista are all really nice.

There really arent any other lakes that are really within an hour of downtown austin. If you are talking an hour to the city limits then lake lbj is a lot less expensive than lake travis as is canyon lake

Old 08-14-2007, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 21,000 times
The town you described is Bastrop. Small town feel, wonderful historic downtown district, plenty of rural land, low crime, and it has a lake and a river. You cannot, however, own land on the lake, it's an LCRA lake, but you can water ski and boat on it. You can own land on the Colorado river though. You might do some research on it and see if it suits your needs.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:08 PM

80 posts, read 346,502 times
Money talks. How much money do you want to spend? Lago Vista and Volente come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin