Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
You mention consulting work. The OP's husband is in IT, as a Software Engineer, with the types of skills I have. Are you in a similar field? If so, what is the market like in Austin? For similar reasons as yours, I am looking to relocate to Texas to lower my COL. I am leaning to larger Dallas or Houston because of my concern that Austin might not have a large enough demand for contracting in my field, despite the strong economy, though I would prefer Austin for other quality of life reasons.

Like you, I have a young ones, and I am interested in the websites or other references you used to help you decide on housing location, schools, etc in Austin. Would you share here?

Thanks.
I am a brand consultant (marketing/advertising) so I'm no help there. Even for me, there were/are more jobs in Dallas than here (for my husband as well) BUT we made the decision long ago that Austin was the place for us and would suit us better. Dallas aside, I think the general job market here is better than what I've experienced in CO and CA in recent years and likely, a lot better than most other cities/states.

As far as housing and neighborhoods, THIS is the best site/board you will find. I joined citydata and this board specifically in 2009 and learned everything about Austin and sections of town from the experts here so by the time we actually had a green light to move, I knew geography, cost of one neighborhood to the next and flavor of each, and everything about schools. Greatschools.org will also give you the cut and dry ratings but very little insight. The people here know Austin inside and out. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Thank you so much for the detailed response!...
You're welcome

Old 06-19-2011, 09:07 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Veronika, we were living in Seattle the same time as you. Our family moved to Austin two and half years ago and we couldn't be happier. Cost of living in so much more reasonable and there is a much greater degree of ambient friendliness. The heat can be a killer, especially when we are breaking records like we did this week, but I so love the sunshine and the longer days in winter. I'll put up with three months of hotter than hell for the other benefits.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 PM

382 posts, read 629,097 times
Idlewile and VeronicaW, thanks for your responses. Agree about the ratings vs insight on schools...but information like that can at least help as a broad filter to get rid of the overwhelming volume of schools to consider...just need to adjust expectations accordingly and bolster with other inputs. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:19 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
If you like Seattle you will not like Austin. No public transportation really, no ocean or sound, no mountains, no rain, no green. Primarily sun, heat and suburbs with that funky Austin vibe running through the city. If you decided to move here you would have to like the opposite of Seattle in terms of the ecosystem and city layout. And I would bet that you do it ONLY because of cost of living.
Austin is very green. Maybe it doesnt have mountains, but West Austin has beautiful rolling hills. Austin also has many lakes and rivers.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Austin is very green. Maybe it doesnt have mountains, but West Austin has beautiful rolling hills. Austin also has many lakes and rivers.

Well, SOMEtimes!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
VeronikaW, I think it's so funny that you're checking out Austin. My friend is trying to get me to move to Austin, so I've been looking CD through and through. (And I was also waiting for JenniBC to weigh in as well, I too feel as though Seattle is eating us up.)

I remember that you mentioned that you were frustrated by some of the people back in the Seattle area... of course, it's the Seattle Freeze. Aside from the Seattle high COL and its (winter) weather, the Seattle Freeze can make living in Seattle very hard. My friend is a born-and-raised Seattleite has told me about how friendly and inviting Austinians are... that her quality of life has substantially improved. This is echoed by other Seattleites we know (who moved to Austin) as well.

I probably will soon have to seriously look at my options in RE: Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedApe View Post
Not that I know anything , but I've always heard that Portland is the affordable Seattle. No?
Heck NO!!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,597 times
Quote:
It is not. It is brown. I'm not saying it's a parking lot - I'm saying it's a dry climate. Austin would be green if it rained more. But it doesn't. By Sept every year those beautiful rolling hills and "green" belts are brown, brown, brown.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
It generally doesn't rain much in a semi arid desert climate. Yes, Austin does not have mountains, but unless you are from central Florida, or way South Texas, the terrian west of Austin wouldn't be of much interest to most. What people in Austin don't realize is MOST cities in the country are hilly. Desperate for ways to set Austin apart from any other po dunk 4th place city in a state, they (the state, or the city, who knows) came up with the term "hill country", or as I call it, "hillbilly country". Now everything is hillbilly country! From foods, to stores, to restaurants. My personal favorite, "glorious hillbilly country views!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
It is not. It is brown. I'm not saying it's a parking lot - I'm saying it's a dry climate. Austin would be green if it rained more. But it doesn't. By Sept every year those beautiful rolling hills and "green" belts are brown, brown, brown.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:08 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
It generally doesn't rain much in a semi arid desert climate. Yes, Austin does not have mountains, but unless you are from central Florida, or way South Texas, the terrian west of Austin wouldn't be of much interest to most. What people in Austin don't realize is MOST cities in the country are hilly. Desperate for ways to set Austin apart from any other po dunk 4th place city in a state, they (the state, or the city, who knows) came up with the term "hill country", or as I call it, "hillbilly country". Now everything is hillbilly country! From foods, to stores, to restaurants. My personal favorite, "glorious hillbilly country views!!"
It's been called the Hill Country since the 1800s. I grew up in LA, lived a mile from the Atlantic ocean for five years and spent 18 years in Seattle. All areas with beautiful topography (well, in LA you have a short drive to beauty anyway) and I still find the TX Hill Country beautiful. It certainly isn't breathtaking the way that Rainier is on a RARE clear day, but with the blue skies, puffy white clouds and rolling hills with live oaks and native vegetation, it still inspires awe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin