Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 AM

25 posts, read 67,090 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are two girls age 25 moving to Austin in September. We found an apt on pleasant valley near riverside, east of IH35. The rent is affordable and the area looks nice enough but some people told us that this may be a dangerous place to be (he actually said we would be kidnapped by illegals affiliated with drug cartels) he also mentioned a shooting at Club Carnavale in Riverside. Can anyone please give us the real scoop, we have to make a decision on this place. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
I think your friend is exaggerating and no, the crime is not that bad. There are many problems in the border cities with kidnappings and the like, but so far we haven't really seen that as far north as Austin. That being said, that is not one of the nicer areas of town. There are shootings. There is property crime. You will not want to walk there at night. It is probably not the place I would choose to live with two young women living alone if I had other options. What is your budget for rent and where will you be working?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I agree. Not the best part of town. I don't think you'll be kidnapped or anything, but not where I'd want to live. There's a reason it's so cheap.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM

Our price range is approx $700/mo for 2 bedroom. We like this area and just wanted to get some more feedback. This guy who told us that stuff might have been trying to scare us since he knew we were from out of town. Just want to make sure were not moving into the worst local slum?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Not the worst high crime area in town, but is a rough place.

Somebody here will probably post the statistics link.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Captn can give you the stats. The area used to be primarily students but with the re-development of the west campus area, the mix has shifted, there are still students but not as many, the area is primarily Hispanic, working class, and working poor. I used to live in that area years ago as a grad student and I am still often in the area during the day. I feel generally safe during the daytime. Property crime would be a concern and I wouldn't advertise the presence of a big flat screen TV or anything but there is little random crime in the area. If you have some street smarts (and depending on the particular complex) you'll probably be fine. As another poster said, there is a reason it is so cheap!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babarry85 View Post
Our price range is approx $700/mo for 2 bedroom. We like this area and just wanted to get some more feedback. This guy who told us that stuff might have been trying to scare us since he knew we were from out of town. Just want to make sure were not moving into the worst local slum?
It might not be the very worst place in town, but it's definitely not a good area of town. It's a rough area. No, I don't think you'll be kidnapped, but as another poster said, there is a reason the rent is so cheap. I would avoid living there, if there was anywhere else I could find a place. Do you guys even have jobs yet?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 AM

13 posts, read 22,769 times
Look at the other student ghetto: Far West

Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc1973 View Post
Look at the other student ghetto: Far West
Far West would be an excellent suggestion. You might not get a luxury 2 bdrm for $700, but the neighborhood is much safer.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:46 AM

We are looking for work now, moving in September. We can't afford to pay more in rent at least not now. What is the job market looking like? We both have bachelors, 2-4 years experience in banking/paralegal/urban planning. We want to work downtown as well. Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: