Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 07:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Austin has a vibe, like what you get in New Orleans or San Francisco. It has a quirky and unique character that intrigues people.
You are giving way too much credit to Austin. I wouldn't compare it with those places (as someone who has lived in central Austin and has a long family history with N.O. and enough experience with S.F.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I think San Antonio comes closer to a vibe like New Orleans. I don't the uniqueness in Austin to the degree it exists in those two cities.
I agree. For my wedding a decade ago, we liked the idea of a destination wedding but wanted to stay close. New Orleans and San Antonio were on the list for having that "vibe" and in the end we chose historic downtown San Antonio. Austin wasn't even on the radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Perhaps Houston is so big that the quirkiness is "diluted?" It's more exposed in Austin?
Pretty much. There's plenty of quirk... it's just not in-your-face if you don't live in the right areas. In fact I think there's more quirk in Houston than Austin, but it's not tooted nearly as much. And yes, in such a huge city, it's not as easy to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
And Dallas and Houston are important world class cities? Look I like both towns but if you want to see an important world class city with real culture and real international business come to London and I'll show you what a real city is. ... Dallas and Houston are wonderful little regional towns, and great for what they are. As is Austin. It is again much smaller and an wonderful town for what it is. In their own part they are anything but insignificant.
Of course they're not on a level with London or NYC, but certainly much above somewhere like Austin economically and culturally. Houston is a huge international city... only two other US cities have more foreign consulates. Has most of the typical big-city amenities. In city tiers, it's probably a step or two behind L.A., Chicago, etc. Certainly far from regional little towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
You are giving way too much credit to Austin. I wouldn't compare it with those places (as someone who has lived in central Austin and has a long family history with N.O. and enough experience with S.F.)
Yeah, I don't think Austin is anywhere near what San Francisco is and I've never been to New Orleans but I don't think its near its quirkiness either.

Austin's weirdness is more like if someone has a plethora of tattoos all over their face people would turn around and make a novelty of that person as some tourists did the same with my long curly eccentric hair. In San Francisco, you'd get more craziness and eccentricities but nobody cares, just like nobody cared about my hair here. haha That's about the first things I noticed moving here.

Quote:
I agree. For my wedding a decade ago, we liked the idea of a destination wedding but wanted to stay close. New Orleans and San Antonio were on the list for having that "vibe" and in the end we chose historic downtown San Antonio. Austin wasn't even on the radar.
Yes, I absolutely agree. San Antonio and New Orleans seem to have that old traditional small town vibe to them, its semi-european, (
SA more Spanish influenced, NO more French influenced) but mostly southern.

Quote:
Pretty much. There's plenty of quirk... it's just not in-your-face if you don't live in the right areas. In fact I think there's more quirk in Houston than Austin, but it's not tooted nearly as much. And yes, in such a huge city, it's not as easy to find.
Well, I don't know about this.... its kinda close really. Maybe it stems from the fact that Austin has more per capita of that eclectic weirdness... but I've lived in both cities and while there is plenty of this strange vibe in Houston, its really hard to tell which has more. I mean, we're talking about Hyde Park, the East Side, S. Congress, S. Lamar, S. 1st, the drag and all of downtown that pretty much caters to this type of culture.

There certainly are pockets of Houston that feels the same way, but how big in comparison is it really? And another thing, I don't think that its in your face per se, I just think its more embraced. "In your face" sounds like if people in Austin are annoying trying to embrace their eclectic vibe... I really don't think they are.

Quote:
Of course they're not on a level with London or NYC, but certainly much above somewhere like Austin economically and culturally. Houston is a huge international city... only two other US cities have more foreign consulates. Has most of the typical big-city amenities. In city tiers, it's probably a step or two behind L.A., Chicago, etc. Certainly far from regional little towns.
BevoLJ was making a case for Houston not being a world class city. Nobody here is making a claim that Austin is nearly as good as Dallas and Houston in terms of what makes a great city. We're all just answering why we prefer it over those two.

So essentially, we're all on the same page here.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Austin is not really known as being historic...actually, quite the opposite. Austin is a lot of "new". New Orleans and downtown San Antonio are very much historic. But historic != quirkiness or eccentric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Yes, I absolutely agree. San Antonio and New Orleans seem to have that old traditional small town vibe to them, its semi-european, (
San Antonio...semi-european? You've been to San Antonio, right?

And here people are criticizing Austin for being known as something they think it isn't.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Spain is a european country and at some of its earliest history has a tad of that, although it is more hugely mexican. Some of the oldest chapels are spanish influenced. Had to mention I'm talking about San Antonio

Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
Austin is more like Denton, Texas but with nearly 1 million people shuffling here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Absolutely correct! You cannot possibly compare Austin to either Dallas or Houston. They simply aren't in the same league. You could compare Austin to places like San Antonio, Nashville, Raleigh, or POSSIBLY Denver. Ok not Denver, but geeeez.

If you want to continue to bow to the state capitol wearing your orange colors and driving your F-150, fine. But don't try to compare a city as small and relatively unimportant as Austin to world class, culturally diverse, international business cities. It will never work.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Well, for uniqueness and quirkiness......I'm going to have to go with San Antone, with Houston a very close second.

One thing about Houston.....it is very diverse and ethnic. (There used to be some hole-in-the-wall restaurant down around the Ship Channel where Greek sailors would come to off their ships and drink and dance the night away and engage everyone in the joint......Now, you don't get THAT in Austin or Dallas.)
That sounds interesting, but isn't most of the Ship Channel off limits. I think if they would have opened up the ship channel for private boating and commercialization, perhaps the allure of Houston may have gotten out.

This is the type of thing Houston should have been promoting by the way. Hindsight's 20/20 though...

Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Yeah, I don't think Austin is anywhere near what San Francisco is and I've never been to New Orleans but I don't think its near its quirkiness either.

Austin's weirdness is more like if someone has a plethora of tattoos all over their face people would turn around and make a novelty of that person as some tourists did the same with my long curly eccentric hair. In San Francisco, you'd get more craziness and eccentricities but nobody cares, just like nobody cared about my hair here. haha That's about the first things I noticed moving here.

Well, I don't know about this.... its kinda close really. Maybe it stems from the fact that Austin has more per capita of that eclectic weirdness... but I've lived in both cities and while there is plenty of this strange vibe in Houston, its really hard to tell which has more. I mean, we're talking about Hyde Park, the East Side, S. Congress, S. Lamar, S. 1st, the drag and all of downtown that pretty much caters to this type of culture.

There certainly are pockets of Houston that feels the same way, but how big in comparison is it really? And another thing, I don't think that its in your face per se, I just think its more embraced. "In your face" sounds like if people in Austin are annoying trying to embrace their eclectic vibe... I really don't think they are.

BevoLJ was making a case for Houston not being a world class city. Nobody here is making a claim that Austin is nearly as good as Dallas and Houston in terms of what makes a great city. We're all just answering why we prefer it over those two.

So essentially, we're all on the same page here.
Having lived in all three metro areas, there are more similarities between Austin and SF/NO than at first glance.

Austin: not historic, laid back, progressive, open-minded, wild, artsy
SF: historic, not laid back, progressive, open-minded, not wild, artsy
SA: historic, laid back, not progressive, not open-minded, not wild, not artsy
NO: historic, laid back, not progressive, open-minded, wild, artsy

Austin and SF have 3/6 match, Austin and NO have 4/6 match.
SA and SF have 1/6 match, SA and NO have 3/6 match. NO and SF have 3/6 match. In summary, NO is more similar to Austin than to SF or SA.
Austin and SA have 1/6 match for reference.

Actually, NO and Austin have more in common than many think. Perhaps that's why I like it here.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
That's not true at all IMHO. The average person in Austin is dull and vacuous. The city itself is overcrowded, falling apart, and grungy: the only unique attractions are a few extremely wacky parades here and there that do feature wild and deranged actors and actresses who paid to act like they are having a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Having lived in all three metro areas, there are more similarities between Austin and SF/NO than at first glance.

Austin: not historic, laid back, progressive, open-minded, wild, artsy
SF: historic, not laid back, progressive, open-minded, not wild, artsy
SA: historic, laid back, not progressive, not open-minded, not wild, not artsy
NO: historic, laid back, not progressive, open-minded, wild, artsy

Austin and SF have 3/6 match, Austin and NO have 4/6 match.
SA and SF have 1/6 match, SA and NO have 3/6 match. NO and SF have 3/6 match. In summary, NO is more similar to Austin than to SF or SA.
Austin and SA have 1/6 match for reference.

Actually, NO and Austin have more in common than many think. Perhaps that's why I like it here.

Last edited by artsyguy; 07-28-2011 at 11:17 PM..

Old 07-28-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
San Antonio...semi-european? You've been to San Antonio, right?
I was making emphasis on the style of architecture within the downtown area... and the missions in particular... all of that was Spanish influenced. Spain is in Europe bra.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
IMHO.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin