Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 PM

49 posts, read 138,662 times

Advertisements

Hello ,
4 weeks ago I was told I have till oct or dec till the jobs ends ! And then comes the peices of paper saying no your laid off ,
We went to get health check ups and wife finds out she has breast caner , with just days left to get it done and with only the hope and prays its nothing more then can be fixed with r/x ..

With saving just lasting to the end of the month, I find it unreal when I try to find work ,trying to go though interveiws and at my age trying to get a other job in the building feild is proving to be slap of reality ,anything to keep us from losing every thing ,,then trying to find the extra money for cobra just for her treatment .

not shore what I'am doing right now ,in shell shock and wishing there is someone with a ander for me her in Austin texas
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 PM

110 posts, read 246,212 times
I think the city is looking for dispatchers for Ems and police. It's not much but I am pretty sure they offer pretty good health insurance. You can find all open city positions on the city web site. Good luck to you and yours.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:15 AM

247 posts, read 559,345 times
What do you do for work?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 AM

481 posts, read 2,418,412 times
Best thing to do is find a job that will put you on their group health insurance with little or no waiting period. I don't know if they are hiring but I have had friends who went to work at UPS and Fedex and got on their group health insurance fairly quickly.

You are in my prayers.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,224,154 times
Very sorry to hear your news... there are some good suggestions above, seems there are a good number of companies without any waiting period for benefits.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,097,457 times
I pass Sears (call center, I think it is?) every morning on my way to work, and I often see signs that say they're hiring. I'd imagine that their benefits will be decent for the meantime? I'm also assuming it would be fairly easy to get on board. I wish you the best. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,060,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I pass Sears (call center, I think it is?) every morning on my way to work, and I often see signs that say they're hiring. I'd imagine that their benefits will be decent for the meantime? I'm also assuming it would be fairly easy to get on board. I wish you the best. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
I work there, and if you're interested in getting a job there - read this thread. Has all the info you need:

Http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ork-sears.html

You apply on-line now, rather than walk-in.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,123,736 times
I have no idea what your job qualifications are, but EA is apparently hiring a lot of people right now.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:42 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,229,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas45 View Post
Hello ,
4 weeks ago I was told I have till oct or dec till the jobs ends ! And then comes the peices of paper saying no your laid off ,
We went to get health check ups and wife finds out she has breast caner , with just days left to get it done and with only the hope and prays its nothing more then can be fixed with r/x ..

With saving just lasting to the end of the month, I find it unreal when I try to find work ,trying to go though interveiws and at my age trying to get a other job in the building feild is proving to be slap of reality ,anything to keep us from losing every thing ,,then trying to find the extra money for cobra just for her treatment .

not shore what I'am doing right now ,in shell shock and wishing there is someone with a ander for me her in Austin texas
Thank you
Can't help with the job side, but can try to help with the cancer side. I'm sorry this is probably putting extra stress on your wife that she just does not need right now. Please go here: The Rose, Houston's leading breast cancer organization and I'm sure your wife (and you) will find the support and help you will need, no insurance required. I know this facility is in Houston, but I'm sure they can hook you up with some help in Austin. Also have your wife visit with us over in the Cancer forum in City Data for some more support. There are other programs out there as well.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:54 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,582 times
This is exactly why having health insurance tied to employment makes no sense. You'll never be able to get individual health insurance either, because no insurance co is stupid enough to take a customer who will cost them money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: