Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,092 times

Advertisements

Husband and I like:

Outdoor activities
Vegan Food
Alternative music
Looking for affordable housing whether a home or condo
Art scene
New age/ yoga/ meditation/

I'm an early childhood teacher
He's looking for a job in security, mental health (doesn't have a degree), or cremation work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:37 PM

732 posts, read 2,125,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Husband and I like:

Outdoor activities
Vegan Food
Alternative music
Looking for affordable housing whether a home or condo

I'm an early childhood teacher
He's looking for a job in security, mental health (doesn't have a degree), or cremation work
We are up to 68 days of triple digit temps this year. Think you can stand it?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:43 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Having lived in Austin from 1985 to 2004 (and prior to that back in the 1970s), I'd say the OP's interests are a good match for Austin. The heat can be brutal and despite the progressive nature of Austin itself you will be living in a state with a very reactionary, right wing political culture in power. If you can deal with the heat and the political climate in the state, Austin would likely be a good fit.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
We are up to 68 days of triple digit temps this year. Think you can stand it?
That's pretty harsh. How do you all cope with that? The hottest place I've been to is Florida. I'm from NJ.

I would cope with that weather if it meant getting out of NJ

Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Having lived in Austin from 1985 to 2004 (and prior to that back in the 1970s), I'd say the OP's interests are a good match for Austin. The heat can be brutal and despite the progressive nature of Austin itself you will be living in a state with a very reactionary, right wing political culture in power. If you can deal with the heat and the political climate in the state, Austin would likely be a good fit.
How do you think the political climate would affect someone who is a liberal on a daily basis?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 PM

You will find the infiltration of religious fundamentalism into state politics at all levels extremely frustrating and maddening if you are like me. I was born in Texas and lived the majority of my adult life there but will probably never go back now because we (my partner and I) are financially independent these days and I'm no longer tied to a private practice that made it difficult to move from Austin for many years. I loved Austin and IMO it's the best - maybe the ONLY - place to live in the state, but my partner and I are gay and we would never be able to enjoy the benefits of marriage equality or even civil unions in Texas. Moreover, for years we lived under the indignity in Texas of having our very relationship essentially criminalized by the state's "sodomy" law, which only died as a result of the US Supreme Court striking it down. While there are lesbian and gay persons in isolated high profile political positions in Texas, they have no power to change things in the state as a whole. In Delaware where I now live, we now have a comprehensive civil unions law that explicitly grants same-sex couples all the rights, responsibilities and protections of marriage. Austin is the best place for liberal minded persons in Texas, but the climate in state politics is toxic and hateful.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Texas cut $4 billion out of the State Education budget this year, so most schools are struggling, laying off, cutting services. You would have a hard time finding a job in education. The cut back in government jobs is also hitting Austin much harder then other TX cities because of the number of government offices here. Austin is a very educated community, 25% of the population has a Bachelors Degree, and 10% has a Masters Degree, so competition is tougher for anyone who does not hold a degree. Unusual skills like experience with cremation could be an advantage.

Learn a lot more about Austin here http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

Old 08-22-2011, 01:59 PM

238 posts, read 365,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
That's pretty harsh. How do you all cope with that? The hottest place I've been to is Florida. I'm from NJ.

I would cope with that weather if it meant getting out of NJ
I'm originally from NEPA, and the summer heat is harsh but it is manageable. I've learned to adjust my schedule to be outdoors in the morning, but I don't hide in the a/c all day either... I just may not go running at 4pm in the summer. The way I describe summer in Austin is the same way I described winter in NEPA... It's nice when it starts but after a while you can't wait for it to be over.

Agreed about tolerating the heat to get out of the Northeast (especially NJ, haha). I don't regret moving here at all. As someone above mentioned, your interests match well with Austin.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Early childhood ed might give the OP a good qualification to get hired on at one of Austin's numerous small private schools, including several Montessori schools. The pay, of course, wouldn't be great relative to public schools, but there might possibly be more opportunity. Regarding husband, there are a number of facilities where he might be able to get a job as a mental health worker/aide without a bachelors degree, given that he has experience. However, relocation without either a sizeable nest egg to tide one over until employment can be secured, or else having a job offer prior to relocation (vastly preferable) is risky to say the least.

If you want to escape the high taxes of Jersey you can simply move down to Delaware. You won't escape the winters but you won't have the brutal summers either (where everything always ends up turning brown due to lack of rain and the heat). Not anywhere near as dynamic as Austin, but then we do have the beaches and a nice progressive but fiscally conservative state government.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Early childhood ed might give the OP a good qualification to get hired on at one of Austin's numerous small private schools, including several Montessori schools. The pay, of course, wouldn't be great relative to public schools, but there might possibly be more opportunity. Regarding husband, there are a number of facilities where he might be able to get a job as a mental health worker/aide without a bachelors degree, given that he has experience. However, relocation without either a sizeable nest egg to tide one over until employment can be secured, or else having a job offer prior to relocation (vastly preferable) is risky to say the least.

If you want to escape the high taxes of Jersey you can simply move down to Delaware. You won't escape the winters but you won't have the brutal summers either (where everything always ends up turning brown due to lack of rain and the heat). Not anywhere near as dynamic as Austin, but then we do have the beaches and a nice progressive but fiscally conservative state government.
Don't forget the tax free shopping! That's my favorite part about Delaware (ok, that and the cheap booze). Places like Lewes are just gorgeous. Austin is nice, but if you have family in the northeast, it might be helpful to stay close. I love Austin's airport but it is small, so if you're trying to get back East to visit family, you're likely looking at taking connecting flights to get there. If you have kiddos, this is a nightmare situation. I've already told my Dad (in Philly) that once we get to Austin, he's going to have to come visit us. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: