Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM

113 posts, read 239,101 times

Advertisements

In this time of extreme drought in our region, I'm very concerned about the future of our resources, specifically our water supply. With that in mind conservation is essential in order to preserve this precious resource.

Personally I'd rather sadly watch my lawn turn into dust with the thought I'm doing my part to ensure that our neighbors and families have this basic staple that is essential to our everyday life.

I realize that there are those who work tirelessly to ensure a beautiful yard, this is appreciated but do we really understand the long term effects should this drought continue for an extended period?

We are very fortunate to live in a community where everyone is awesome and chatting with my neighbors for the most part, most of us (with the exception of one person that says $300 or more of water is his right) are doing our part and watching our yard turn to dust with the hope that we making a difference for our friends in neighbors.

In my search for answers I wanted some perspective from an expert in land management, agriculture, as to how approach the future. One simple question came to mind. What next?????

One expert shared these thoughts:

* It's not a simple question because depending on your soil condition and grass type there is no one size fits all treatment.

*After an extended period of drought, specifically nearly 2 years of moisture depletion, soil conditions change, Ph levels, acidity, clay density, a soils ability to recover these are not effected by watering occasionally there are certain minerals that act as soil nutrients that are replenished naturally with rainwater.

*After a lengthy period of multiple 100 plus degree days the extreme heat is taking its toll on even well established root systems, for lawns that already have been damaged severely watering at this point is like giving medicine to a dead man it serves no purpose.

What are your thoughts for the future??????

Last edited by joedtx; 08-26-2011 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,065,126 times
What is your dilemma?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:42 AM

481 posts, read 2,417,850 times
My husband and I were just talking about removing the grass that's in the section between the sidewalk and the road and replacing it with river rock. It's impossible to water, lots of waste goes into the road. It's a complete waste of resources. We've gotten over the "trying to keep the yard green" but will HOA frown upon it?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 AM

732 posts, read 2,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
My husband and I were just talking about removing the grass that's in the section between the sidewalk and the road and replacing it with river rock. It's impossible to water, lots of waste goes into the road. It's a complete waste of resources. We've gotten over the "trying to keep the yard green" but will HOA frown upon it?
I plan to replace some of my hedges that aren't doing so well with other plants that are meant for desert conditions. I also have a large area of ivy ground covering that is just brown now. I plan to remove that and again replace it with mulch and other plants suited for this environment.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:25 PM

113 posts, read 239,101 times
Quote:
Great approach mother of three!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
I plan to replace some of my hedges that aren't doing so well with other plants that are meant for desert conditions. I also have a large area of ivy ground covering that is just brown now. I plan to remove that and again replace it with mulch and other plants suited for this environment.
There is beauty in the desert, hope it looks great.

Xeriscape (use of native plants and vegetation) is a great concept

One of our neighbors is using a genetically modified drought tolerant type grass and it looks AMAZING, but at a cost of $400 per pound of seed (no guarantee it will succeed) is a tremendous expense / gamble.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:36 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times
Maybe homebuilders should not use thirsty grass like St. Augustine and use more durable turf. But that would cost them more money, and it's all about the dolla dolla. It's poor Joe Blow homeowner who bears the brunt of the water conservation measures. I cannot let my lawn turn to dust because it would cost a small fortune to replace it...with either sod or rocks. My lot is close to 10K sq ft. That's what chaps my hide about this whole 'conserve water' thing... what alternatives are you giving regular people like myself who can't afford to 'just let their landscaping die'? Landscaping is expensive. Trees are expensive.

I don't really begrudge the homeowner who chooses to use their sprinklers or soaker hoses. I'd rather see him try and keep his investment alive than having it become a weed infested mud patch. I am against the homeowner who has consistent runoff of water, however. Or who uses water for such non-essential needs like decorative fountains and the like.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:52 PM

409 posts, read 874,802 times
OP,

I take it you don't live in a HOA neighborhood?

I too feel that watering your grass during an extreme drought is a waste of water. Trees, flowers, etc yes; grass no. But you will get hit with a fine if you let your grass go brown and die if you have a HOA. And its not just the HOA's fault. There are people out there who will complain you are dragging everyone's property's values down unless you have a bright, lush, green lawn. Even in the 100+ degree drought conditions we are living in now.

I wish Texas had a law requiring all HOA to make Xeriscape an option. No more mowing and watering? I go for it in a minute.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,099,281 times
How can it possibly be good for our environment or for us to let the plants die, not to mention the birds and other animals that need them to survive? Conserving water is prudent, but don't go to extremes.

This is a temporary drought cycle, not a permanent climate change. I'm letting my lawn brown out a little, but doing all I can to keep the roots, trees and shrubs healthy; and provide water for birds and animals in the area.

If you look at the LCRA Lake Travis water levels forecast, they are not predicting that we will run out of water. The Historic low level of Lake Travis was 614.2 feet above msl on Aug. 14, 1951. The latest forecast, worst case scenario (extreme drought) is that the lake level will go down to 625 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Being a responsible neighbor-lake-travis-forcast.gif  

Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,566,499 times
Quote:
Avery Ranch actually encourages the 'conversion' of the nuisance strip...
"Residents should seriously consider converting the sidewalk strip areas (between sidewalk and curb) from turf grasses to xeriphitic areas as these areas are difficult to water without street runoff.
"
Guidelines:
· Allow variances for xeriscaping as long as 25% of publically visible area is turfed and all other guidelines below are met.
· Non-turf planted areas must be bordered to define the xeriphytic area clearly from turfed areas.
· Xeriscaped areas must be kept maintained at all times (plants trimmed and thinned, weeded, and borders edged) to ensure a reasonably attractive appearance.
· No boulders or large rocks exceeding 12” may be used on the narrow strips between public sidewalks and the street curb. Use of potted plants not allowed in the nuisance strip.
· No plants may encroach onto or over public sidewalks
· No plant with thorns, spines, or sharp edges can be used within 6’ of the public sidewalks
· Water features, Urns, and other man-made ornamentation can add variety but not to exceed 4 items in public view.
· No plants higher than 18" should be planted in the sidewalk strip area to allow for visual safety.
· Sickly and dying plants must be removed or replaced.
· Perennials or ornamental grasses which die back in winter must be cut back to remove dead areas.
· Certain plants determined by the City of Austin to be invasive cannot be planted in Avery Ranch. (See Page 50 of the City of Austin “Grow Green” book. (Most common examples include berrying forms of Nandina, running varieties of bamboo, Ligustrums/Privet, Photini, Vitex, Chinaberry Tree) "

In our neighborhood of AR, we're seeing perhaps 1 yard per block being converted(along the sidewalk). I would imagine more will switch when re-planting season comes(IF it comes
!)

Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,099,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Avery Ranch actually encourages the 'conversion' of the nuisance strip...
"Residents should seriously consider converting the sidewalk strip areas (between sidewalk and curb) from turf grasses to xeriphitic areas as these areas are difficult to water without street runoff.
"
Guidelines:
· Allow variances for xeriscaping as long as 25% of publically visible area is turfed and all other guidelines below are met.
· Non-turf planted areas must be bordered to define the xeriphytic area clearly from turfed areas.
· Xeriscaped areas must be kept maintained at all times (plants trimmed and thinned, weeded, and borders edged) to ensure a reasonably attractive appearance.
· No boulders or large rocks exceeding 12” may be used on the narrow strips between public sidewalks and the street curb. Use of potted plants not allowed in the nuisance strip.
· No plants may encroach onto or over public sidewalks
· No plant with thorns, spines, or sharp edges can be used within 6’ of the public sidewalks
· Water features, Urns, and other man-made ornamentation can add variety but not to exceed 4 items in public view.
· No plants higher than 18" should be planted in the sidewalk strip area to allow for visual safety.
· Sickly and dying plants must be removed or replaced.
· Perennials or ornamental grasses which die back in winter must be cut back to remove dead areas.
· Certain plants determined by the City of Austin to be invasive cannot be planted in Avery Ranch. (See Page 50 of the City of Austin “Grow Green” book. (Most common examples include berrying forms of Nandina, running varieties of bamboo, Ligustrums/Privet, Photini, Vitex, Chinaberry Tree) "

In our neighborhood of AR, we're seeing perhaps 1 yard per block being converted(along the sidewalk). I would imagine more will switch when re-planting season comes(IF it comes
!)
Those are all sensible guidelines. I'm going to recommend our HOA adopt something like this. By all means, it makes excellent sense to convert areas that are hard to water adequately to drought tolerant plantings and mulched areas. And by all means PLANT TREES, nothing reduces your lawns water needs like having an a fair amount of shade trees in the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin