Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

BIG mistake. Cash or no go. Giving the state that much power is not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyk1 View Post
I just posted on yelp a review of TxTag and thought I'd post here for some helpful advice...

I though Txtag was a good idea, signed up for auto-pay and gave them my credit card information, and an invitation to draft from my account at will.
I just recently realized that for a brief period in 2009-2010 the card expired and was declined, and then renewed on auto-pay...$78 went unpaid during that time and apparently was never re-invoiced once the credit card information was updated.
Now they are demanding $1078 or they will refer this to the court. They say there is nothing they can do and that it's been too long. The collections contact Texas Department of Transportation gave me says "leave your ss# (etc.) and will call back"
I called, talked to, and was unable to get TxTag person/ Texas Tollways to work with this, they want all, now. It was an honest mistake and I've had the account in good standing before and after that mishap.
All this time i thought auto-pay was like "fire and forget"...what a mess.
Has anyone else tried to work with TxDot and TxTag on issues like this?
The collections co. still hasn't returned my call as of this posting.
It seems my next step is to beg mercyto the judge?
$78.00 in charges turns in to $1078.00...really?
Clearly a mistake on their part. They had your card info and never charged it. I would fight to only pay the base amount. If I had to guess they will probably do it, just be nice when you go in. Make sure you clearly explain the whole thing before the person can make a decision (key point is you updated the card info and they didnt auto charge it). Once a person makes a decision even when faced with additional data they are highly unlikely to change it.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 AM

150 posts, read 392,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Are you saying you get an invoice from TXTAG or the credit company?
I get an invoice in the form of a PDF every month from the TXTAG people, shows all activity, date, time and amount. Very easy!

Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM

322 posts, read 847,112 times
I've had it with the whole TXTag thing. We went through a similar experience last year (and I hear from people who also have). One of the problems is that the people who work there don't seem to have communication with each other. I have called them several times to correct our address and been put on hold for 30 minutes at a time. I received an invoice from them that I went through a toll last YEAR and now owed 85 dollars. When I called to ask what was going on they told me that my car was registered at 2 addresses. But could I correct it with them? No. Different department. Also, how was it I was getting bills just fine all year but for that ONE bill they had a different address? No explanation. I'm avoiding the toll roads from now on. Just not worth the hassle. I'd rather call my insurance company to dispute a claim than talk to them again.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:08 PM

26 posts, read 81,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
I've had it with the whole TXTag thing. We went through a similar experience last year (and I hear from people who also have). One of the problems is that the people who work there don't seem to have communication with each other. I have called them several times to correct our address and been put on hold for 30 minutes at a time. I received an invoice from them that I went through a toll last YEAR and now owed 85 dollars. When I called to ask what was going on they told me that my car was registered at 2 addresses. But could I correct it with them? No. Different department. Also, how was it I was getting bills just fine all year but for that ONE bill they had a different address? No explanation. I'm avoiding the toll roads from now on. Just not worth the hassle. I'd rather call my insurance company to dispute a claim than talk to them again.
We just got a bill for $65, $5 in toll charges from June and $60 in fees. This is the first bill we have gotten about it (wife keeps EVERYTHING). I am debating if it is worth the headache to dispute the stupid charges or just pay it and be done with them. Either way, they aren't getting any of my money again.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
I feel bad for all these people having problems, but I just don't get it...

When I use the toll road, I KNOW that I have used it. I don't sleep drive like some people sleep walk...so when I use it, I expect a bill in the mail. If I didn't get a bill...I would question why RIGHT THEN, and not wait a year later and act surprised by it. I don't doubt that maybe a snafu in the system led to you not getting a bill...but that doesn't mean you are absolved of having to pay it.

I went to see my doctor last year, and he didn't bill me in 2 weeks, so I called him and they sent a bill right out. I don't understand how people just "forget" they used the toll roads and then blame TXTag for not sending them a bill. It's not JUST txtags fault, is it? I mean, if my mortgage company didn't send my a bill every month, I wouldn't go "no fair no fair!! you didn't send a bill! How can I know I owe money without a bill!" I just don't get it.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I mean, if my mortgage company didn't send my a bill every month, I wouldn't go "no fair no fair!! you didn't send a bill! How can I know I owe money without a bill!" I just don't get it.
Exactly!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 PM

399 posts, read 1,803,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I just don't get it.
It's quite simple really. Different people pay attention to different things. Different people focus on different things. Instead of trying to understand how the OP wouldn't have noticed not getting a bill, you might yourself try finding and understanding that which you don't notice but perhaps you could or should. After you've found that thing, then you'll get it.

Make sense?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:49 AM

322 posts, read 847,112 times
I guess I "don't get it" because we have had the TXTag for years. They are supposed to take out the money from the account (and then top it up) automatically. So if there is, say, $20 in the account, I go through a $2. toll, then I have 18 left. But I wouldn't check my account to make sure they took it out. I have no way of knowing that they didn't take money out for an existing account when they ALWAYS HAD BEFORE. I mean, if you seriously are trying to tell me that you check EVERY time you go through a toll.....well, I don't know what to say. TXTag has set up something that is supposed to be user friendly and easy to access. What I (and many others) have found is the opposite. Just feel lucky YOU haven't had problems. Although with their track record I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenrySDM View Post
It's quite simple really. Different people pay attention to different things. Different people focus on different things. Instead of trying to understand how the OP wouldn't have noticed not getting a bill, you might yourself try finding and understanding that which you don't notice but perhaps you could or should. After you've found that thing, then you'll get it.

Make sense?
Exactly! There are things that I might be absent minded about that other people would never miss and vice versa. If you don't typically use the toll roads, you might not remember that you were on them one day sometime the previous billing cycle.

Before we got our TX TAG, we got a bill (we rarely ever use the toll roads because of where we live) and my husband and I were both dumbfounded because neither of us could remember taking the toll road the previous month. It turns out when a friend was in town she and I drove down to Lockhart and I was on the toll road for part of the trip - but I had to go back and check the calendar to figure out what I was doing that day. If we'd never gotten the bill, I wouldn't have thought to request one, because I didn't even remember several weeks later that I'd been on it.

We opted after that to get the TX TAG because of the monthly fee it cost to mail us the bill - and the cost of the stamp to mail it in doubled the cost of my single trip on the toll road.

I am grateful for this post because it occurred to me that our credit card number had been changed since last year(stolen number) and I asked my husband to check our account and see if we had updated the new number in the system. We had not. We could have easily ended up in the same situation as the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin