Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:05 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

In Texas, apparently you have run the red light if your front axle isn't out of the intersection when the light turns red. In California, you have run the red light if any axle is in the intersection when it turns red. So Californians are more likely to stop on a yellow because they don't want to be caught with any part of their car in the intersection when the red light turns. Since the law is obviously more stringent in CA, it probably isn't the Californians that started this red light running habit. The Texas law is more lenient, and have Texans responded. When you move to Texas, you just need to learn the new rules and follow them. No use in arguing who has better rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:13 AM

481 posts, read 2,417,076 times
My husband is always telling me I can make a left on red when no traffic is coming. He works with APD and RRPD. I don't know where it is or isn't written. I never do it though. It just feels wrong. It would ease up a lot of traffic though.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:21 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
My husband is always telling me I can make a left on red when no traffic is coming. He works with APD and RRPD. I don't know where it is or isn't written. I never do it though. It just feels wrong. It would ease up a lot of traffic though.
The only time you can make a left on a red is if you are on a one way street, turning onto a one way street, such that you will not be crossing any traffic lanes. Otherwise, no left turns on red. That's my understanding.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
GGrasshopper's right. My friend's husband is an APD officer and that is what he told her.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:47 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
For those who frequently defy the laws of physics, here's an item that might be of interest(from the earlier referenced link)...

[SIZE=2]"Center turn lanes are for use only when preparing to turn left from the main road onto a side street or driveway only. Only enter the lane just before you are ready to slow down for the turn. Also, the Federal Highway Administration's "Read Your Road" guide (link at the bottom of this page) indicates that, when turning from a side street or driveway onto the main road, you may also use this lane as a temporary refuge to wait for traffic to clear as long as you pull into the lane and wait and don't use the center turn lane as an acceleration lane. However, it is important to note that Texas law does not seem to specifically permit this action, and I have had reports that some folks have been cited for doing this and the court has upheld their citation, so I would recommend avoiding this maneuver unless you absolutely have to. Finally, although section (b)(1) above says you can use the center lane for passing, keep in mind that center lanes marked as left turn lanes cannot be used for passing as the traffic signs and pavement markings indicating that the lane is for left turns only take precedence.[/SIZE]
"

Can't tell you how many time I see folks pull into the center turn lane and drive 50-60-70 mph to eventually pull into the proper lane whenever they feel like it! The laws of physics will prevail when someone else is actually using the center TURN lane for its intended purpose OR performs the same idiotic acceleration game in the OPPOSITE direction! Of course, it's even worse to see drivers pull into the center turn lane and drive along even though the proper lanes were completely empty! Stupid habits die hard!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
Maybe if the traffic lights in Austin didn't take so long, less people would try to run them.

One of my biggest gripes with driving in Austin is all the trucks who ride in the left lane on the highway or tailgate you. That's just dangerous and stupid.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
Page 5-1 of the Texas Drivers Handbook

Quote:
STEADY RED LIGHT
Stop before entering the crosswalk or intersection. You may turn right unless prohibited by law. You may also turn left if both streets are one way unless prohibited by law. You must yield to all pedestrians and other traffic lawfully using the intersection.
I assume that "unless prohibited by law" means there is a sign forbidding the left turn.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:15 PM

578 posts, read 1,228,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Btw, I have taken def. driving three times and one of the instructors was so wrong on some things it was funny. Generally, they all exaggerated toward the more 'safe' but made it sound like the law.
Agreed. My first two instructors were like this. The last two instructors were retired DPS officers who also taught classes to current DPS/county/local officers. They were the ones that informed us on the yellow light issue. They also talked about the center turn lane that another poster mentioned, which also drives me up the wall. I have seen several wrecks because of their improper use of the center turn lane.

I figured Austin had bad drivers due to all the college students in town, but I see a lot of "seasoned" drivers that are just as bad!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:07 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
In Texas, apparently you have run the red light if your front axle isn't out of the intersection when the light turns red. In California, you have run the red light if any axle is in the intersection when it turns red. So Californians are more likely to stop on a yellow because they don't want to be caught with any part of their car in the intersection when the red light turns. Since the law is obviously more stringent in CA, it probably isn't the Californians that started this red light running habit. The Texas law is more lenient, and have Texans responded. When you move to Texas, you just need to learn the new rules and follow them. No use in arguing who has better rules.
I dont think this is correct. As long as you enter the intersection while the light is green or yellow you are fine in california or texas.

Here is a link to the discussion of california laws. If you are facing a red light you are not allowed to enter the intersection. There is an antigridlock law which says you cannot enter the intersection unless there is space for you to exit it.
When Is It Considered- BY LAW- "Running A Red Light"?-- In California? - Yahoo! Answers

Here are the related laws from the california vehicle code

CVC 21453(a): 21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).

CVC 21452(a): 21452. (a) A driver facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal is, by that signal, warned that the related green movement is ending or that a red indication will be shown immediately thereafter.

Implication: As long as you enter the crosswalk or, if there is none, the intersection, before the light turns red, you have not run the red light.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
I figured Austin had bad drivers due to all the college students in town, but I see a lot of "seasoned" drivers that are just as bad!
I agree, it's not out-of-towners or students. It's just a combination of an awful lot of frustrating lights, lack of highways (compared to other cities at least), combined with a general feeling of entitlement and lack of respect for others... at least while driving. For some reason, there is nothing like getting behind the wheel to bring out the worst qualities in a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin