Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times

Advertisements

A steak house run by the people that bring you the Olive Garden.

National chains bringing new dining options to Austin area

Dine local! Don't succumb to the chains! (unless an In and Out comes to town, then all bets are off...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 AM

112 posts, read 280,093 times
All we need... is love... actually ;-)

Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I don't really care whether a restaurant is local or not. I want good food, good service, and a fair price. I don't see any reason to fault a restaurant because it became successful and expanded.

Lots of chain restaurants suck. So do many local ones. Two examples:

Gueros
Threadgillls

I have to say though that the idea of a non Texas based steak restaurant called Longhorn Steakhouse is awful.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:26 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't really care whether a restaurant is local or not. I want good food, good service, and a fair price. I don't see any reason to fault a restaurant because it became successful and expanded.

Lots of chain restaurants suck. So do many local ones. Two examples:

Gueros
Threadgillls

I have to say though that the idea of a non Texas based steak restaurant called Longhorn Steakhouse is awful.
That was really my point. I don't hate chains just because they are chains, I mean, I do go to Starbucks on occasion, it's just chains of the Olive Garden variety that I despise. Bland, bland, bland.

While I agree with your take on Gueros, I've been to the Threadgills south location a couple of times and have really liked it. The food is decent and the prices reasonable. We went to the one up north once and didn't like it quite as much as the food was cold. So I don't know if that has to do with who is on the line at the time.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post

Dine local! Don't succumb to the chains! (unless an In and Out comes to town, then all bets are off...)
The media prefers these big chains because they are more likely to advertise than funky little local restaurants. Read articles like that one with that in mind.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
That was really my point. I don't hate chains just because they are chains, I mean, I do go to Starbucks on occasion, it's just chains of the Olive Garden variety that I despise. Bland, bland, bland.

While I agree with your take on Gueros, I've been to the Threadgills south location a couple of times and have really liked it. The food is decent and the prices reasonable. We went to the one up north once and didn't like it quite as much as the food was cold. So I don't know if that has to do with who is on the line at the time.
Threadgills is acceptable, but doesn't deserve the cult status it seems to have in Austin.

I have to admit - I ate at an Olive Garden just last week. Big group, mix of ages, and easy to please a bunch of people. In its category, it is OK for certain occasions.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:53 PM

113 posts, read 238,963 times
Quote:

I hear what you are saying but dining local isn't always the best choice. With national chains they offer consistent dining standards, and procedures and protocols (if followed properly)to ensure health safety, along with broad menu offerings (low-cal, gluten free, seniors menu) as well as potentially more stable jobs for locals as opposed to new local restaurants that may run into difficulties within a short time frame for various reasons.

When we find ourselves traveling in a different city with the family it's comforting to know what to expect from a national chain, as opposed to taking a chance on a place that may have questionable standards. Not to knock local places because there definitely are some great places like Kerby Lane in North Austin, but then sometimes theres a miss too I've had my share of food poisoning from quite a few local places. But I digress there is room for both just serve consistent quality and everybody's happy.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:10 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,420 times
Austin is full of mostly chains anyway. What's the difference of one more?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Quote:
So don't succumb to chains unless they're ones you like?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I'd say Gueros and Threadgills are about equal to a typical chain restaurant, no worse. True, there are many other local options which are MUCH better (especially some of the new ones)... but still. Gueros and Threadgills have a place.

Also, since Austin has so few chains, I don't seen how this will hurt. I mean, 1600 food trailers, an airport that will only allow local restaurants, plus SoCo and East Austin (which chains apparently don't want to touch)... we are not under any threat of becoming chain town USA yet. The burbs are, of course... that's why the Longhorn steakhouse is coming to Round Rock, Cedar Park, and Southpark meadows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin