Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 PM

8 posts, read 15,806 times

Advertisements

I'm a 26 year old male, trying to meet single girls 18-27. I'm a shy and introverted person, with some friends, but none I can really go out to meet girls with. I'm wondering what the best spots are in downtown Austin for someone going solo? I've tried stuff like meetup.com, but girls I've meet through there are always in relationships. I'm tired of going without a girl, and I'm attempting to do something about it. People say I look in my late teens to early 20s, and i'm getting close to being thin, so I feel okay about my looks. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewinAustin View Post
I'm a 26 year old male, trying to meet single girls 18-27. I'm a shy and introverted person, with some friends, but none I can really go out to meet girls with. I'm wondering what the best spots are in downtown Austin for someone going solo? I've tried stuff like meetup.com, but girls I've meet through there are always in relationships. I'm tired of going without a girl, and I'm attempting to do something about it. People say I look in my late teens to early 20s, and i'm getting close to being thin, so I feel okay about my looks. Any tips?
Maybe I don't understand what your Theater masters studies involve(d); but I would think a young, straight guy in 'theater' would be golden.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 AM

404 posts, read 712,288 times
do yourself a favor. get a wingman and learn some technique. trust me, i feel your pain.

you need to recognize that you're going probably about it the wrong way.

its easier than you think. PM and i'll give you some golden advice

Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:
my personal experiences is that its always best to make friends with a cute girl. don't ask her out... or go on dates with her. just be friends with her. she'll be your wing buddy. heck, meet a girl that you have a lot in common with. be her BUDDY. call her "dude", or "hey, man" in a friendly way. then go out with her to bars... i don't know what your scene is but the Good Knight is a cool bar and you'll usually find cute ladies there ALONE at the bar. when you go with your friend be upfront with your buddy and tell her about the girls you like and ask her what you should do. she might even start talking to her for you and bring her into the conversation with all of you 3 together. this works a good deal... plus, the girl that your interested in will be less creeped out or pressured by a guy who's just trying to hit on her since your already with a cute girl. this really really really helps. it's a win-win and can't go wrong. the worst thing that could happen is have that buddy girlfriend of yours fall for you. now how cool is that?

but if you do go solo, i'd say go to a coffee shop instead. frequent one where you see a girl you like there often. maybe she works there... maybe not. it's better if she doesn't work there... but either way these are just my suggestions and its what has worked for me. good luck!!!!

but then again, i'm extremely handsome and charming............... jk not really. if you have the "nerdy" look it seems to be trendy now these days, so you're in much better shape than even me. i'm fat and big mexican dude with long hair.... people don't know what to make of me sometimes haha but confidence is key too. in fact, don't even think about confidence... just be aloof, like a spoiled kid with lots of brains. you don't care if you fail or succeed but you're just there to have fun!

Last edited by migol84; 10-26-2011 at 01:40 AM..

Old 10-26-2011, 02:05 AM

8 posts, read 15,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
my personal experiences is that its always best to make friends with a cute girl. don't ask her out... or go on dates with her. just be friends with her. she'll be your wing buddy. heck, meet a girl that you have a lot in common with. be her BUDDY. call her "dude", or "hey, man" in a friendly way. then go out with her to bars... i don't know what your scene is but the Good Knight is a cool bar and you'll usually find cute ladies there ALONE at the bar. when you go with your friend be upfront with your buddy and tell her about the girls you like and ask her what you should do. she might even start talking to her for you and bring her into the conversation with all of you 3 together. this works a good deal... plus, the girl that your interested in will be less creeped out or pressured by a guy who's just trying to hit on her since your already with a cute girl. this really really really helps. it's a win-win and can't go wrong. the worst thing that could happen is have that buddy girlfriend of yours fall for you. now how cool is that?

but if you do go solo, i'd say go to a coffee shop instead. frequent one where you see a girl you like there often. maybe she works there... maybe not. it's better if she doesn't work there... but either way these are just my suggestions and its what has worked for me. good luck!!!!

but then again, i'm extremely handsome and charming............... jk not really. if you have the "nerdy" look it seems to be trendy now these days, so you're in much better shape than even me. i'm fat and big mexican dude with long hair.... people don't know what to make of me sometimes haha but confidence is key too. in fact, don't even think about confidence... just be aloof, like a spoiled kid with lots of brains. you don't care if you fail or succeed but you're just there to have fun!
Thanks for the advice. The problem is meeting the wing girl, would be an ordeal in itself. Like I said, I'm shy and introverted, so I don't really meet people in day to day life, and I won't be back in college till May.

I have a very nerdy personality, but I'm not sure if I have the "nerdy" look, unless I'm wearing one of my nerdy Harry Potter or Video Game shirts which I wouldn't wear to a bar.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 AM

440 posts, read 1,682,536 times
Mmm, I dunno about going solo... I wouldn't. A friend and I go down to Flying Saucer, Fado, walk Town Lake, etc. We're both single, she's in her early 20's, and I'm 26... Our POV of downtown is; a lot of sleazy guys looking/hoping to get laid. When I'm DT I mainly go to enjoy socializing with friends, and judging the drunk people... I mean, people watching.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:20 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Try avoiding the bars altogether! Try volunteering or get a temp job in an area that is heavy with young women -- child care, after school theater projects, animal rescue, become a math tutor at the closest elementary school, you get the idea. Sounds like you'll do better in an environment where you have a task to do. Try church! I hear single guys are a hot commodity there.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:41 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,220 times
I'd think 18 was too young for you. Stick with chicks closer to your own age...

Old 10-26-2011, 06:01 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I'd think 18 was too young for you.
There's rules, man.

1/2 your age + 7 years.

26 = 13 + 7. He can go down to 20. I guess you're right after all.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:34 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
It sounds like you're old enough to use the real on-line dating sites (not meetup.com as that is more for just making friends). eHarmony.com, Match.com, etc. The people on those on-line dating sites typically won't be in relationships and are open to meeting someone like yourself. Walking around downtown by yourself doesn't sound like a good plan for someone who is introverted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: