Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:01 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,309 times

Advertisements

Retail vacancy and office vacancy aren't' the same thing. I think the parking situation downtown will hurt businesses too, couple that with high rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,609 times
I knew CptRon would be in here to lay the smack down. The last thing Austin has is a vacancy problem!

3 of the 4 stores you mentioned aren't closing because of a rough economy in my view, they're closing because technology is damaging their business model. There are 100 different options for streaming movies into your home that don't involve Blockbuster. Bookstores are hurting not because of the economy but because of competition from movies, internet, 500 TV channels, and electronic books. And as for Best Buy, it is much cheaper to buy electronic items online, and the nerdy/techy crowd is more likely to do that.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,656 times
I noticed that the former Blockbuster locations I drove by this weekend were all filled with something else.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Opps... posted this in the wrong thread originally, but with regard to scary vacancies: Strip mall retail has an ugly cycle anyway, regardless of the economy. Basically what it looks like (to me) is this:

1) Big intersection gets a brand new strip mall on one corner, big fancy anchor store opens and rents are high. Ownership is by a higher end retail real estate group. 3 other corners of the intersection are empty fields.

2) A few years later (or sooner), new strip mall gets built across the street on another corner. New big, fancy anchor tenants move in and rents begin to drop in older shopping center. Older shopping center changes hands.

3) Another corner at the intersection gets a strip mall; final corner probably a gas station or walgreens. Anchor tenant in the original strip mall moves to newer strip mall, or a different location, or just closes. Original strip mall is long since paid for, changes hands again, rents plummet. At this point it's unlikely any top tier retail anchor will touch the place.

4) Original shopping center tenants are eventually replaced with lower end stores. Large anchor tenant location becomes *maybe* a Big Lots or something, but could also become a Salvation Army/Thrift Store/Half price books, or perhaps even a low-cost office location or church. Vacancy is high, income is low, building is 15-20 years old by now, but the land is still valuable and the street access and zoning are potentially desirable. Ownership probably changes again, new investor is just holding the property to make a little money and wait for redevelopment someday. If the maintenance costs on the property are too high, they may even just tear it down and make it a field again while they wait to sell it to someone else. #4 can go on for many, many years.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
Retail vacancy and office vacancy aren't' the same thing. I think the parking situation downtown will hurt businesses too, couple that with high rent.
Good point on retail versus office vacancies. I assumed that commercial was all lumped together, but that may be a bad assumption on my part.

I don't think the parking situation downtown is all that bad. There is actually more parking available now then there has been in the past, but very little of it is free. I doubt that hurts businesses much since there is now much more foot traffic on all of the streets, more people downtown equals more business in my mind.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
With Valentine's soon approaching, support your local florist, not 1-800 Flowers or any of the other order takers, that then call your local florist that you could have called, and they keep a little of your money for making the call you should have. You don't get what you pay for, after they keep their cut.

Same with on-line order takers. Go to the local florist webpage direct, if you are on-line.
If the web address isn't their name direct, chances are they are FTD or Teleflora, and they keep a cut.
Watchout for redirects.

Get the most out of your florist - Go direct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin