Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,745 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Austin almost my entire life, with a brief foray outside of the state after college. Moreover, I've lived in West Austin (Clarksville). My mom remembered living here back when the neighborhood wasn't all that. I remember it too, although to a lesser degree. It had already shaped up by the time I had sentient memory.

My dear other lives in "NW Austin." No, not Allandale. Volente. So I get to spend a lot of time in this area. 620 is horrifying. Strip malls, strip malls and more strip malls, coupled with bland mega-apartment complexes. Try finding a local business in this area. Or even a local cafe. I've never done so much driving in my life. Twenty or thirty minutes to get anywhere. It's like living in a 'burb outside of Houston or Dallas.

I dunno. All of those nondescript incorporated areas are like The Sprawl in Anywhere, U.S.A. And yet so many people want to move to Austin because they consider it "unique." Um ... seriously—?

Sometimes I really feel like I want to live elsewhere, but my other's job is here and looks like it will be here indefinitely. So is mine. At least we can afford (for now) to buy in the central area, and we're looking at very small homes. The operative word is SMALL.

But I wonder "Should we?" What will Austin look and be like in 20 years? Will all of the beautiful old homes and businesses that have been in Austin for 25 years + be gone by the time I retire? Will anything about Austin be remotely "weird?"

Any old-timers here feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
I can't imagine ANY old timer actually continuing to stay in this area after what a mess it's become over the past 20 years. You want a good indication of the "old Austin"....try Madison. Very similar to Austin back in the 70's (from what i've heard)

Yes, but please realize that the Austin sprawl and suburbs are different from Dallas' and Houston's. How you ask?? Umm, well they just are....ok???? Perhaps check with the COA for further clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
I've lived in Austin almost my entire life, with a brief foray outside of the state after college. Moreover, I've lived in West Austin (Clarksville). My mom remembered living here back when the neighborhood wasn't all that. I remember it too, although to a lesser degree. It had already shaped up by the time I had sentient memory.

My dear other lives in "NW Austin." No, not Allandale. Volente. So I get to spend a lot of time in this area. 620 is horrifying. Strip malls, strip malls and more strip malls, coupled with bland mega-apartment complexes. Try finding a local business in this area. Or even a local cafe. I've never done so much driving in my life. Twenty or thirty minutes to get anywhere. It's like living in a 'burb outside of Houston or Dallas.

I dunno. All of those nondescript incorporated areas are like The Sprawl in Anywhere, U.S.A. And yet so many people want to move to Austin because they consider it "unique." Um ... seriously—?

Sometimes I really feel like I want to live elsewhere, but my other's job is here and looks like it will be here indefinitely. So is mine. At least we can afford (for now) to buy in the central area, and we're looking at very small homes. The operative word is SMALL.

But I wonder "Should we?" What will Austin look and be like in 20 years? Will all of the beautiful old homes and businesses that have been in Austin for 25 years + be gone by the time I retire? Will anything about Austin be remotely "weird?"

Any old-timers here feel the same way?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I can't imagine ANY old timer actually continuing to stay in this area after what a mess it's become over the past 20 years. You want a good indication of the "old Austin"....try Madison. Very similar to Austin back in the 70's (from what i've heard)

Yes, but please realize that the Austin sprawl and suburbs are different from Dallas' and Houston's. How you ask?? Umm, well they just are....ok???? Perhaps check with the COA for further clarification
Yup. I've had friends who've moved on for the same reason ... they too don't understand why I stay when "Austin" is quickly shrinking. At least the colorful "weird" part of it. I'm blessed insofar that I'm in a neighborhood that's at least retained its old-time feel.

The 'burbs and sprawl are definitely newer and nicer than some I've seen in other big Texas cities, but in another 20 years, they won't be shiny and new. Retain property value? Hit or miss.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM

252 posts, read 718,943 times
Quote:

It sounds like you dislike Volente, TX - not as much Austin, TX. The unique parts of Austin are mostly contained in the areas close to downtown. The further away from downtown you get, such as 30mins out in Volente, the quicker things change, the more 'sprawl' you get, and the trickier it gets to consider it Austin. If it takes 30mins to get downtown you're likely not living in an area where you can experience all those good things on a daily basis that are publicized about Austin. That's why it pains me when people like eepstein (sorry to pick on you) who live in the Cedar Park area complain how they dislike Austin and I wonder if they'd feel the same way if they lived in an older, diverse neighborhood somewhere in 78704 for example, that had character, local bars/restaurants/businesses, parks, and live music/entertainment all in the same neighborhood.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormatt View Post
It sounds like you dislike Volente, TX - not as much Austin, TX. The unique parts of Austin are mostly contained in the areas close to downtown. The further away from downtown you get, such as 30mins out in Volente, the quicker things change, the more 'sprawl' you get, and the trickier it gets to consider it Austin. If it takes 30mins to get downtown you're likely not living in an area where you can experience all those good things on a daily basis that are publicized about Austin. That's why it pains me when people like eepstein (sorry to pick on you) who live in the Cedar Park area complain how they dislike Austin and I wonder if they'd feel the same way if they lived in an older, diverse neighborhood somewhere in 78704 for example, that had character, local bars/restaurants/businesses, parks, and live music/entertainment all in the same neighborhood.
I tend to agree with you. A lot of people who live in the outlying areas rarely get down to Austin proper, which makes me wonder, "What's the point?" May as well live in Georgetown or San Marcos. At least those places have an authentic "town" feel to them. But, I'd venture to say that there are far more people who are perfectly happy in the sprawl than there are dedicated city dwellers. Hence, why there's so damned much of it.

What worries me is that Central Austin will also lose its flavor. Developers are eating up every bit of green they possibly can. Every week, I hear about another local business going under — some of which have been here for decades — and being replaced by a chain store/bar/cafe. The quick turnover of ownership downtown is downright depressing.

Shopping at Whole Foods these days? Now, there's an experience. I shopped at the original. The niches it attracted were home-grown, hippie types wearing hep and Berkenstocks and ecologically-conscious students, like myself. Now the only people who look like they should be shopping at WF are the checkers!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Austin changing is the name of the game. Mom was born here during the 40s and Austin was always changing then and more than likely always will. We have stuff that is unique to the area that hopefully will make it but sometime its does not. Central Austin does not have a lock on what Austin is there are plenty of other parts that make up Austin also and the metro area is what some folks do like about Austin. If you look closely at those strip malls you do see a lot of mom and pop stores that need to be supported...

Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 PM

252 posts, read 718,943 times
Quote:
I tend to agree with you. A lot of people who live in the outlying areas rarely get down to Austin proper, which makes me wonder, "What's the point?" May as well live in Georgetown or San Marcos. At least those places have an authentic "town" feel to them. But, I'd venture to say that there are far more people who are perfectly happy in the sprawl than there are dedicated city dwellers. Hence, why there's so damned much of it.
The main reason is usually cost - the give and take between house and location. House usually wins, especially b/c the price of central homes are pricey compared to what you can get 30mins out. But you can still get an affordable home within 10-15mins of downtown. I'd much rather be somewhere like Oak Hill than Cedar Park.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormatt View Post
The main reason is usually cost - the give and take between house and location. House usually wins, especially b/c the price of central homes are pricey compared to what you can get 30mins out. But you can still get an affordable home within 10-15mins of downtown. I'd much rather be somewhere like Oak Hill than Cedar Park.
A lot of people, at least from what I've read on these forums, want the big McMansion. Hmm, whatever, I guess. It would probably appall home-hunters to know the size of the house my mom lived in — and that I grew up in. We're talking under 1,200 sq. ft.

I'd rather live in the $250K condo in Clarksville than the big McMansion way out in bunk. I would in a heartbeat if I knew that Austin wasn't going away entirely.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Old Time Austinites: Ever Tempted to Find Greener Pastures?
Nope, no need to find it, we know where it is. Green Pastures

Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 PM

399 posts, read 974,609 times
Quote:
I'd rather live in the $250K condo in Clarksville than the big McMansion way out in bunk. I would in a heartbeat if I knew that Austin wasn't going away entirely.
If you want the condo, get the condo. Nobody can be sure of what Austin (or anything else) will be like in 20 years.

The idea of living in one of those McMansion type houses in Steiner Ranch or a similar community horrifies me. I get people who have or want to have a gaggle of kids wanting to live out there and be around other families and good schools, yada yada yada. But that isn't me. I don't even want to be around kids, quite frankly. So yeah...give me the small place close into town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin