Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 AM

30 posts, read 75,365 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

So we will move to Austin in mid 2012. I have few questions:

Me and my husband both are in IT field. We have 2 young kids. So my questions are

1) Which/where are the good schools/play schools for a 4 yr old
2) Would you recommend having a nanny or crash.
3) Mu husband would be working near North Capital of Texas Highway so what are the good areas to live near by.
4) We have a major drawback that none of us drive so I am very scared to shift US. How is the public transport/taxies there.

thanks in advance for your answers...

Tweeto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM

264 posts, read 1,003,313 times
You better learn how to drive, quick. Austin is not like New York where you don't need a car. Everyone drives here, this is Texas. Living in North Austin is going to require you drive, end of story. Sorry and good luck.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 AM

7,744 posts, read 15,172,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeto View Post
Hi everybody,

Me and my husband both are in IT field. We have 2 young kids. So my questions are

3) Mu husband would be working near North Capital of Texas Highway so what are the good areas to live near by.
4) We have a major drawback that none of us drive so I am very scared to shift US. How is the public transport/taxies there.

Tweeto
1) There are tons, what are your priorities? Language immersion? independent learning? structured learning? etc.

2) I think kids are best with a stay at home mom. One of the great things about austin is that it is very livable on a single income.

3) cap of tx hwy (also known as 360) is pretty long. Where on 360?

4) You will definitely have to learn to drive. There is zero public transport and taxis would have to specifically be called. Driving is no big deal.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,274,372 times
You are moving to the United States from EUROPE?? How did you decide on Austin? Did you miss Dallas, Houston, or even NEW YORK? Just curious.....

Quote:
Hi everybody,

Tweeto

Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,912,753 times
I wouldn't say that public transport is ZERO but it's definitely not extensive nor reliable enough for you to live a completely car-free lifestyle, especially outside of Austin's downtown core. I'm sure someone will chime in on how they live car-free here but it is definitely the exception here and everything must align just so for it to work well: proximity to work, schools, neighborhood affordability etc...With children and their specific needs you might have too many variables for a successful car-free lifestyle.

Perhaps a better goal would be to try and make do with one-car (for work) and try to be close to schools and other important amenities. There are also car share services that might be useful for things like errands and such:

car2go Austin | Austin Car Sharing | Rideshare In Austin

They can be limited in their reach but might be worth checking out.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,182,876 times
Quote:
I think I know what a nanny is, but what is a crash?

There are taxi's and a bus system here, but you will have to plan your living location carefully in order to be able to rely on the bus system to get around. It often is ungodly hot here in summer so you can get drenched with sweat just walking to the bus stop and waiting out in the hot sun for the bus to show up.

You really do need to learn how to drive.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,535,020 times
What country are you moving from? Have you been to the United States before?

Like everyone said, you'll need to know how to drive if you want to live comfortably in Austin. Public transportation is not good here.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,255,658 times
Over the years I have worked with a number of people from Europe in the software business. In every case I can remember, they enjoyed life here.

But they all knew how to drive a car and were willing to do so. Our culture is car-centric. Austin is not a dense area in general, though some areas are dense.

I do know people who ride the buses every day. They are dedicated to public transportation. They tell me that the bus service is adequate. One good friend is a regular Cap Metro (train) rider - she likes it a lot. But the route is very limited.

I suggest learning to drive in before you get here. That way you will learn on familiar roads. Even if you are in England now and have to "switch sides" here - I think the transition will be a bit easier.

There are may nice areas to live, good schools, and many fun things to do with your children.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 AM

30 posts, read 75,365 times
Hey everybody thanks for your reply and warnings

@austintexan : I took license 10 yrs ago but never drove a car after that. I am very much willing to learn again to drive but right now with the job and kids and moving thing, its bit tough to put it in schedule.

@austin97 : My priority for the kids would be to let them mingle with other kids and learn at the same time, Language priority is low since He speaks english already.

@eepstein : Well i am moving to austin because My husband is moving in the same company. And their office is in Austin. Besides everyone told me that its a good place to live in.

@twange : Thanks these links might be useful during the initial time until we learn driving.

@ cptnrn : Creche is day care center...sorry for the spelling error

@ passionatearts : No it would be my first time

@hoffdano : Thanks for giving one positive comment on public transport lol.

Again i have few questions :

My hubby's office would be at 9442 North Capital of Texas Highway, Austin So would you suggest to live nearby. I have never been to US before. SO would like to know all the information you can give me regarding living in austin. I would like to live in a area where ppl are warm and friendly.

BTW how tough it is to get a license there. Mu hubby has never drove before so he will have to start from scratch. So how much time notmally will he need to take driving lessons and then getting a license.

As for the school, my kid would be 4 yrs when we come there. He started his school at 3yrs here and is very happy to go there.They do lots of activities at school like singing, dancing, painting, swimming etc. What is the school pattern there. I mean how do they teach, do they focus more on studies or extra activities. Which school(s) would you suggest for a 4 year old. I have heard that schools start from 5 yrs there. Is that true?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,799,816 times
Quote:
My hubby's office would be at 9442 North Capital of Texas Highway....
This address is the Arboretum. An upscale shopping, restaurant & office building area. Very pretty (& hilly) area with good schools. (but kind of congested) One could possibly walk or bike to 75% of your destinations.

If it was me, I'd find a nice rental (upscale apt?) nearby for 6 mos. to a year while you get the lay of the land (& improve your driving skills). Schools there would flow into Westwood HS (off the chart good) & Anderson HS (very good...probably the best in AISD). All the elementary schools in that area are VERY good.

Welcome to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin