Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:46 PM

313 posts, read 787,421 times

Advertisements

I used to live in DC, I laugh when people tell me traffic here is bad. Its difficult to find a 30 mile path that would take you more than an hour during rush hour, let alone 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM

6 posts, read 6,844 times
Default Traffic in Austin as bad as SFBA? Seriously?

Those who complain about traffic and housing prices here never lived in CA - or at least SFBA.

I lived in Fremont and Hayward and commuted to Milpitas every day - the gap in the mass transit systems. Between 5AM and 7PM there were about 2, 30-minute windows where traffic was not stop and go. It would take at least 45 minutes to go 10 miles.

It only added insult to injury to be sitting in front of the giant sign declaring it was a "Spare the Air Day" telling me I should take public transit. (You know the one I mean!)

I live in SW Austin, and my experience with MOPAC is that the heavy traffic runs from about 7:30AM until 9, and 4:30PM to 7. And even 35 south at 5:30PM isn't that bad if you get on south of the stupid upper/lower split. It's bad for a stretch going through downtown and then lightens up.

I hear the traffic is worse from the Capital north - I don't have personal experience there.

That is unless there's some kind of accident or crisis that involves shutting down one of the freeways. Then all bets are off. Apparently traffic control is not part of APD's job - they just block off the streets and stand there until told to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: