Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
This is probably just demonstrating my ignorance of F1, but I thought it went through the streets of Monte Carlo.......which is a city.......in Monaco........which is a country........
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Yes, excellent point. Still sounds better than a track SE of ABIA.
This has been my concern as well.

Also, if these are really going to be the high-roller types, they're probably going to expect more than we can give as a city outside of the racing aspect.... Houston or Dallas *might* suffice for some of that, but I don't think Austin would....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post

Also, if these are really going to be the high-roller types, they're probably going to expect more than we can give as a city outside of the racing aspect.... Houston or Dallas *might* suffice for some of that, but I don't think Austin would....
dont sweat it, just take a look at some of the other cities that host f1.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post

The Austin hookers/strippers aren't any worse than they are in those cities according to the young guys on a big Texas sportsboard.

And there are quite a few decent bars & restaurants around town.

Plus the more adventurous can schlep over to Luckenbach.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
The new boutique hotel in East Austin, Heywood Hotel, is "only" $449 a night Formula One weekend. I think their normal rates are in the $150 to $250 range.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:09 AM

362 posts, read 1,044,650 times
Quote:
This is probably just demonstrating my ignorance of F1, but I thought it went through the streets of Monte Carlo.......which is a city.......in Monaco........which is a country........
Monaco is a city state, not a country. Monte Carlo is one of Monaco's 10 wards.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Born View Post
If you think about SXSW. All hotels in austin will be sold out no matter what the price. San marcos all the way to Georgetown could also be sold out. Im now wondering what the Prices are raised to for SXSW. Im guessing they are just as high or higher than that 500 dollars.
I was curious about that. So when we went to the Driskill for Christmas brunch I asked them what was the cheapest room they had in the hotel. Because it was Christmas night, they actually had their tiniest rooms available for something like $120 (cheap for the the Driskill) I asked them what the same room went for during SXSW. They looked it up and if we'd reserved that day, it would have been $440. So you could get a room at the historic Driskill for as low as $440 (of course, the smallest one they have) but that's still a far cry from $500 for a Super 8. I think it has to do with the kind of money that comes in for F1. While people with resources come for SXSW, they are not the same caliber of big spenders that travel for F1.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Just as a reminder Im offering free one way tickets to anyplace in the US for you and your whole family to leave austin forever.

Put me in for a thou in that venture.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times
Maybe I'm just plain wrong................BUT, I think most people would be coming here for the race.

Think about it...........Indianapolis is pretty boring.......and ugly, but they draw many people for the INDY 500...........one of the most boring things I've ever been to in my life. I had the misfortune of going to the COLDEST INDY on record...........it dragged on forever.

What we need to consider..........given the amount of people who WILL be attending, is how to accommodate them. And how to make them "happy." THAT is where opportunity lies.....you guys.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The Austin hookers/strippers aren't any worse than they are in those cities according to the young guys on a big Texas sportsboard.

And there are quite a few decent bars & restaurants around town.

Plus the more adventurous can schlep over to Luckenbach.
I don't understand the allure of Luckenbach... what am I missing?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Think about it...........Indianapolis is pretty boring.......and ugly, but they draw many people for the INDY 500...........one of the most boring things I've ever been to in my life. .
I reckon they didn't nick-name it "India-no-place" for nuthin' Actually, I have a friend who grew up there and will move back if she gets a chance...never been there myself. I certainly grew up thinking 'The 500' was one heck of a big time.

I'm sure SOMEbody has discussed the effect of the sloppy world economy(US and Euro especially) on the money spent at F1 races. Surely, ALL of those folks can't be 'above' the turmoil. I'd be very interested in an objective look at the impact on F1 over the past 3-4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin