Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,445 times

Advertisements

I think you will regret giving up NYC for Austin. I lived there for two years and then moved. Do to Dallas for SW style big city. Austin has no style and is completely over rated. If you are trying for a smaller city then try San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 07:53 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,571 times
Stay in NYC.

For nothing more than you already know what you want, so find another job in the City.

Sounds to me that you may want a change to another big city, so for culture and commensurate lifestyle check out SF, LA, DC, Philly, or Chicago. Dallas and Atlanta don't offer the same ammenities as those cities.

I personally didn't care for Philly, but the culture was good and cost of living wasn't bad.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:19 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie2222 View Post
Austin has no style and is completely over rated. If you are trying for a smaller city then try San Antonio.
I don't think a New Yorker who hates Austin would like San Antonio.

Texas is vastly different from New York. If you have a strong preference for one over the other then switching out cities won't cure the basic problem. Austin and San Antonio are both DEEP in the heart of Texas. That's probably at the root of the problem. But the random quirks of human nature could make you right in your suggestion. So... I guess there's a .001% chance that someone from NY who hates Austin might love SA. I'd be fascinated to know how that would work. We have virtually the same climate as SA, a lot of the same stores and developers and styles. The downtown areas are quite different from each other, though, and the demographics are very different. But they're only 75 miles apart and the topography and other geological features are the same, along with the weather.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie2222 View Post
I think you will regret giving up NYC for Austin. I lived there for two years and then moved. Do to Dallas for SW style big city. Austin has no style and is completely over rated. If you are trying for a smaller city then try San Antonio.
What city isn't overrated? All cities have crappy qualities. That's the nature of cities. There is a lot about NYC that sucks as far as I'm concerned, though I still love being there.

And what's your definition of style? High end shopping? Museums? Broadway plays? 5-star restaurants? Bling?

I guess I'm asking you to qualify that statement as it seems vague.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:24 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
What city isn't overrated? All cities have crappy qualities. That's the nature of cities.
Bingo. Every city does suck in its own special way. How a city "feels" to you has more to do with you than the city itself. You can definitely tell by the posts who is still in their honeymoon phase with their new city on all these forums. After the first couple of years, if you get a big raise at work, kid's on the honor roll, etc. you are going to think Austin is the most wonderful place on earth. If you get divorced, kid's doing coke, dog gets run over, you are going to blame and hate Austin. That's just the nature of it.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:47 PM

93 posts, read 307,467 times
Default Austin is adventure

I am from New Jersey and find Austin a comfortable city and a wonderful relief from the hub bub and fast paced bores running around New York city, and believe me I worked in New York city.

If your smart you would look at apartments off of 183 north and surrounding Austin areas where you can get a 1 bedroom for $600 a month. I have one with a fireplace and wonderful neighbors in a great neighborhood. I also take public transportation because I choose to free Austin of one more car on the road. I drive 2 blocks to a park and ride and park for free and take the bus to work which drops me in front of my work building. I only use my car for weekends and might use a half a tank of gas a week at the most. I suggest you take more of a look at Austin, its a great city with wonderful people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk999 View Post
Hi,

I live in New York City. I had the opportunity to visit Austin for 2 days, possible job transfer. The job would be located in South East Austin, near E Oltorf Street. My experience of Austin is:

1) As compared to New York, found it quite boring, not much to see in downtown, there are many major department stores, museums, theaters in Manhattan, but couldn't find any except Whole Foods store. Even famous 6th street did not have much excitement.

2) Renting a 1 bedroom apartment in downtown is expensive(at least $1600 a month). I know it is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but I live in one of the borough of New York, and can 1 bedroom apartment in decent, elevator building for about $1300 per month, with subway within 1-3 blocks.

3) I was told by realtors in Austin that downtown apartments with elevator would cost at least 500K, which is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but in outer borough, can buy for about 250K, which would be roughly 20-30 minutes subway ride to Manhattan.

4) It is inconvenient. Need to drive, although can take bus, but would have to wait for at least 15 minutes in uncomfortable hot weather.

Can anyone comment on above, and suggest how to overcome above issues. If the job is going to be in South East Austin, is that a decent place to live(need an elevator building, but found only walkups). Also, did not see any houses/townhomes in that area to buy.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:52 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,888 times
I'm from NYC and I suggest you stay in NYC. Your condescending attitude gives us NY'ers a bad rep. I don't know where you live but it's probably a dump because most apartments in NYC start at 500k for a decent elevator building and especially if it's near the train. Also a rental for 1300-1500 is increasingly hard to come by, most people are paying 2000 a month for a decent neighborhood. So a prime location at 1600 a month is definitely feasible IMHO.

Frankly, it sounds like you can't afford NYC anymore and need to move. Instead of being so negative about it, open up and think positive. This place (or someplace else) might be what you need to live a better life. Think positively.

I love the way Austin looks and sounds and the people seem to be very friendly. I have not been there yet but I do have family in other parts of Texas, some are native Texans (my family is from there) and some have relocated there and love it. They are not in Austin but nonetheless love it all the same. For myself I am interested in the Austin area and I like all that it has to offer.

Last edited by vitalove; 09-30-2007 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: More..

Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk999 View Post
Hi,

I live in New York City. I had the opportunity to visit Austin for 2 days, possible job transfer. The job would be located in South East Austin, near E Oltorf Street. My experience of Austin is:

1) As compared to New York, found it quite boring, not much to see in downtown, there are many major department stores, museums, theaters in Manhattan, but couldn't find any except Whole Foods store. Even famous 6th street did not have much excitement.

2) Renting a 1 bedroom apartment in downtown is expensive(at least $1600 a month). I know it is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but I live in one of the borough of New York, and can 1 bedroom apartment in decent, elevator building for about $1300 per month, with subway within 1-3 blocks.

3) I was told by realtors in Austin that downtown apartments with elevator would cost at least 500K, which is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but in outer borough, can buy for about 250K, which would be roughly 20-30 minutes subway ride to Manhattan.

4) It is inconvenient. Need to drive, although can take bus, but would have to wait for at least 15 minutes in uncomfortable hot weather.

Can anyone comment on above, and suggest how to overcome above issues. If the job is going to be in South East Austin, is that a decent place to live(need an elevator building, but found only walkups). Also, did not see any houses/townhomes in that area to buy.
Sounds to me like you won't be happy in Austin.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 7,115 times
No need to be so harsh on her.

Everyone has diff opinions. I know there are some decent apts in the outer boroughs for 1300-1500, but they are hard to find. I lived in Brooklyn in a decent apt...moved here...and I miss NY.

Austin is good for families...for the family lifestyle...it's quiet, safe, etc. NY was fun, always things to see, to do, could stroll down the neighborhood and see so many historical buildings, history, etc. The food was better in NYC imo...more restaurants, etc.

If you don't have a car, living in Austin will be difficult for you, I think...unless you do end up living downtown. But there are cheaper apts outside of downtown, like the other person said.

Also the weather...it's hot in NY, but it's freaking hot here. I still haven't gotten used to the weather. Imo, it's unbearable. That and the creepy crawly bugs here. In NY, we have rats and cockroaches. Here, we have millipedes, lizards, stick bugs, etc...bugs I have never seen before in my life, etc.

I think you might be happier in NY honestly, but who knows. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:00 PM

101 posts, read 383,691 times
I've been hanging out on this forum for some time and am struck by the sudden and overwhelming negativity that I have been reading of late. I'm posting to this particular thread solely because of the headline although it would probably fit in on a number of the threads, which seem to be casting Austin in a negative light.

I relocated to Austin, with my wife and seven year old son, two months ago. We moved from London. Certainly not the most natural of transitions in terms of like-for-like, but that was mostly the point.

Let me set out my stall. I love it here. There, I've said it. I loved it in London, and hated it at the same time; a viewpoint obtained over 30 odd years. I would suggest that it is fairly easy, probably even without visiting, to suss out whether or not you would like Austin. It is not London, its not New York, its not San Francisco.

If you want to live in cities akin to those aforementioned, Austin is not for you. It’s hot & humid which is great/horrible (delete as appropriate - easy, depends whether or not you are good with heat & humidity). Don't like bugs? Nor did I before I came but the bug spraying guy does his stuff and what’s left is becoming more interesting by the day but if you truly hate bugs don't come.

Expensive? Austin doesn't come anywhere near London or San Francisco (the cities with which I'm most familiar). In either city I could not afford to live in such a great house, in a close-in neighbourhood (neighborhood) as I do here. If you have managed to get by in any really major city in the world, then Austin is affordable.

Are there world-class theatres/restaurants/nightclubs in Austin? Well, assuming that your definition encompasses the phrase "world class", probably not. Do you wish to dine on good, honest & healthy food, go out & listen to great live music, and check out some local stage talent coming to a silver screen near you some way down the line? Come on down! Got kids? Come on down. I go out running in Zilker Park with my son's school twice a week. I imagine it would be fun trying to do that in London - I didn't dare try!

It comes down to whether or not you wish to be entertained or, perhaps, you can put a little back in. If the former is true go elsewhere. Otherwise, it is all there for you in Austin to make it what you want it to be.

Phew! Glad that is off my chest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin