Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It has a small rural town feel. That is very true.
It's not "very true". It's the opinion of a few, based on anecdotal evidence.

What is true is that you are one of Austin's biggest detractors on City-Data, which is fine, but it skews any data that comes from your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
I would never think of such a think. Austin feels like a small town?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:29 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
I agree.

The airport is exactly like those in small rural areas, minus the smell of manure.

The 30+ story condos have "small rural" written all over them, though they do succeed in tricking people into thinking of them as "city" highrises.

The drive on Mopac and IH35 at 5PM is so small town rural I can almost hear the cows moowing. I especially like how all of the approaching vehicles provide the the rural "hello" wave with the lift of their index fingers from the steering wheel as we pass each other.

Finally, the pickup trucks and young kids who hang out at THE dairy Queen every Friday night before and after the football game further prove that Austin is a small, rural town.

Steve

Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
ughh, Austin doesn't have a rural feeling at all, most of the burbs don't have that feeling...... and I live in NYC now and lived in Chicago for 14 years.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:54 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Yes, because EVERY rural area has one and a half million people.

How long has it been since you spend more than a week at a time in Austin? I don't think you even have a very accurate picture of the city.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM

174 posts, read 501,811 times
Austin always tries to market itself as a big city when in actuality you just get small town with big city prices.Heard the high today in San Diego was like 72 or something as opposed to 106 degrees.
the cost of living is higher granted but it's difficult to say no to awesome weather and lots to do.
101 Things To Do in San Diego (http://www.101sandiego.com/content/region/default.aspx?id=16 - broken link)

Old 07-09-2009, 03:39 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
Austin always tries to market itself as a big city when in actuality you just get small town with big city prices.Heard the high today in San Diego was like 72 or something as opposed to 106 degrees.
the cost of living is higher granted but it's difficult to say no to awesome weather and lots to do.
101 Things To Do in San Diego (http://www.101sandiego.com/content/region/default.aspx?id=16 - broken link)
San Diego is twice as large as Austin so it's difficult to compare the cities.

The weather in CA is less warm in the summer but that's really the only advantage to living in California. Our weather is amazing for 9 months of the year and for the other three months that's why they invented air conditining. And we have better-looking people, better food, friendlier folks, actual culture, and fiscal solvency.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:42 PM

532 posts, read 1,392,666 times
Quote:
How would you know? Isn't your latest story that you never lived here, never went to UT, and haven't been here to visit in a long time because of how ostracized you felt for being gay? Or has that story changed, too? Did you ever actually live and work here, and when and for how long? That might help people who want honest feedback know whether you have a legitimate idea of what's currently going on.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk999 View Post
Hi,

I live in New York City. I had the opportunity to visit Austin for 2 days, possible job transfer. The job would be located in South East Austin, near E Oltorf Street. My experience of Austin is:

1) As compared to New York, found it quite boring, not much to see in downtown, there are many major department stores, museums, theaters in Manhattan, but couldn't find any except Whole Foods store. Even famous 6th street did not have much excitement.

2) Renting a 1 bedroom apartment in downtown is expensive(at least $1600 a month). I know it is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but I live in one of the borough of New York, and can 1 bedroom apartment in decent, elevator building for about $1300 per month, with subway within 1-3 blocks.

3) I was told by realtors in Austin that downtown apartments with elevator would cost at least 500K, which is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but in outer borough, can buy for about 250K, which would be roughly 20-30 minutes subway ride to Manhattan.

4) It is inconvenient. Need to drive, although can take bus, but would have to wait for at least 15 minutes in uncomfortable hot weather.

Can anyone comment on above, and suggest how to overcome above issues. If the job is going to be in South East Austin, is that a decent place to live(need an elevator building, but found only walkups). Also, did not see any houses/townhomes in that area to buy.

i dont know where this guy was looking, but Rent.com has many many many apartments downtown for under a $1000 per month and these are upscale places. he needs to do more homework

Old 07-09-2009, 03:49 PM

174 posts, read 501,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
San Diego is twice as large as Austin so it's difficult to compare the cities.

The weather in CA is less warm in the summer but that's really the only advantage to living in California. Our weather is amazing for 9 months of the year and for the other three months that's why they invented air conditining. And we have better-looking people, better food, friendlier folks, actual culture, and fiscal solvency.
san diego - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin